U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

I've been following Meo's adventures, too, and after reading hers and all of your responses, I now wish I was moving there!! Not going to happen, but you certainly sound like a wonderful group of people.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Nygal, if I hadn't fallen twice last winter, the first time breaking my glasses & having a gash over my eye, the second time, another bad fall & had to have a ct scan, I wouldn't have decided that was my last winter.

I was just surviving, not living & the falls made me realize I was either going to be stuck inside every winter, scared to go out, or move.

I would rather take the hot months, where I can jump in a pool, than the cold months being afraid of falling.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM

Meo, I am just happy you are able to do this move. I remember those awful times, the falls, the injuries, the desire for a pet and not being able to have one.

Your whole life will get better, maybe even your back problem. Not suggesting it will be pain-free. Just thinking once you get settled in and relaxed...... maybe the pain will ease up. Are you getting referrals from your doctor for an AZ doctor who can treat your problems best?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:10 PM

I decided to do some searching for a new home for me by the ocean. I'm checking out Maine. I searched for low income apartments for seniors and I found several. Rent is 30% of adjusted income (whatever that means). Of course, if there is a limit on the income, I don't know what that is.

Pictures of the apartments and grounds are fantastic. As you all probably know Maine has a lot of wooded areas, many trees, etc. I thought they would all be in northern or western ME but the first place I looked at is in York Beach area.

Got a little giddy about it. There is a long wait list (of course) but I couldn't move for about a year anyway, maybe two. Then I thought.... oh oh, what if they don't allow pets? Or how many? I have 2 cats. And I have been realizing how much I would love to have a dog.

So, my giddiness has subsided for now. I think looking for that type of apartment might not be such a great idea. I'm going to start looking at craig's list tho I have a high suspicion for those ads.

Ideas, anyone??

Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,073,229 times
When I saw the page number my first thought was "1066 the Battle of Hastings." The things that go through ones mind.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been following Meo's adventures, too, and after reading hers and all of your responses, I now wish I was moving there!! Not going to happen, but you certainly sound like a wonderful group of people.

You can always come and visit! We cover just about the whole state. lol Dee and Meo will be in the southeast, Hollyhock is central (more or less) and Barb and I are north central. Just a hop, skip and a jump!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Made a good donation to the local Iris Society who is having a sale this Sat.[/quote]

PhxBarb, that's too bad you had to dig up your iris! But nice for the iris group and someone else will give them a good home. You will be able to replace them sometime, I'm sure.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Speaking of weeds, I foolishly put a bird feeder in a tree hanging over my Iris garden. Yikes. The birds threw out the seeds they didn't want, the seeds grew fast with the rain, and bingo: Weeds all through the Iris garden.I had to remove about 25 Iris bulbs so I could get rid of the weeds, that the birds planted! LOL

Made a good donation to the local Iris Society who is having a sale this Sat.

We used to get a lot of Sunflowers that way.
Since it wasn
t over any garden spot, though, we usually let them grow. Free bird feed!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You can always come and visit! We cover just about the whole state. lol Dee and Meo will be in the southeast, Hollyhock is central (more or less) and Barb and I are north central. Just a hop, skip and a jump!

That is a fantastic idea. I've been wanting to drive to CA and AZ would be on my way, right?

I think Meo was lucky to have you and others who encouraged her and helped her. If I were to move, I would be doing it alone and it seems like too big a task for one person. I only had one person help me pack for a move to TX. I was grateful to have that. And I knew people when I got there.

I'm going to send a D.M. to you.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I must admit I am grateful & humbled by the offer of help from the friends I've made where I'm living. Even though they don't want me to go, they are all willing to help me pack & make sure my leaving is as stress free as possible.

I will miss them, but not the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement