U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times

Advertisements

At DDIL, picked raspberries for a friend this am, grandson has turkeys, 1 tom, 3 hens, they also enjoy the raspberries ! It was fun to watch the hens make made dashes for the raspberries, Tom just stood guard over his ladies !

One hen, when I first started gathering the berries, was taking a dirt bath in an open enclosure; as she was bathing, she was singing as well ! She or one of the other hens was being bullied, so she was put in with the ducks and chickens for a week---in another pen. After a week, she was returned to the other turkeys, no bullying. DDIL said maybe she needed a time out or absence makes turkey hearts grow fonder ? !

Overcast today, no rain. Seattle is in a drought ? !

Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Well, it's raining here...again. Sera, I have black raspberries in my yard but I prefer red. The reds seem to be a little sweeter but the blacks are huge and aid my morning cereal, which I hate.

Just had the enormous Apricot tree taken down and now the back yard looks naked ! But at least no more of those sqooshy gooey half eaten things all over the ground. The ants loved it. I didn't.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
It's been pleasant here. I got up early took the dogs for walk. Went out for breakfast with my son and great-granddaughter. He broke his collarbone and cracked two ribs last week, so I had to help him get dressed. Grocery shopping is done. Wife is having a good time in AZ. She will be home on Thursday

Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Barb, you hate cereal? Enjoy the red raspberries in yogurt with a little Grape-nuts/granola in the mornings.

BJW, did you share about your son being injured ? Caring father you care to care for him.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
We've had rain here sometime every day since July 10th. Last night was a doozy as the fast approaching storm heading southwest met the slow moving storm coming up from the southeast. I swear one bolt of lightning traveled from one end of the Whetstones to the other side of the Huachucas. The sunset with the approaching storm clouds was quite spectacular.

But even with all the rain, there's sunshine here every day. When I moved here, I didn't think I'd see much fog, but now I know better. Many times, I cannot see any of the mountain ranges from my balcony. The last few days there's been a hawk flying high and circling. I'm not sure what he's hunting, but I sure hope he doesn't find that jack rabbit that sometimes passes through here.

Still trying to write that novel. A friend read the first seven chapters and told me it's very good. I spend more time doing research than actually writing but I'm nearing 100,000 words and feel I'm not even halfway finished. I'll probably need to pare it down considerably. *sigh*

Just popped in here to wave hello. Hope all are well and flourishing in retirement.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

BJW, did you share about your son being injured ? Caring father you care to care for him.
He fell from his motorcycle last Friday. He doesn't need surgery. But he has to wear a figure 8 brace and a sling. His work is letting him WAH until he is cleared to drive. He summed it as: he's pretty much useless. His long term girlfriend has been taking care. However she works @4am and he'd very upset if she woke him up

Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 PM

BJW, prayers for quick healing for your son, sounds Very painful. How's the motorcycle ? ! Praise he doesn't need surgery.

Deelighted, read about your the novel you are writing, sounds so interesting; first novel ? As a bibliophilia (looked it up on Google !) amazed at the research that goes into books ! Look forward to reading your book ! Is the jack rabbit still passing through ?

AZ rain, Seattle, Sun ! Apricots on the tree, cherries, just a few, the worker/s who pruned, well not so well. There's next year ! Folks who first lived in the house, planted 5/6 fruit trees on one side of the front yard, several on the other side-pie cherries ? When I mentioned the pear tree in the back yard to someone, son and husband, believe it was eliminated !

Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
BJW, prayers for quick healing for your son, sounds Very painful. How's the motorcycle ? ! Praise he doesn't need surgery.
The motorcycle is being repaired. He won't be riding for awhile.

Last edited by BJW50; 07-29-2017 at 11:25 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 06:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
I went to bed with the usual forcast of rain/thunderstorms this week for SWFL. I woke up to see a tropical depression formed off the gulf coast overnight and is now Tropical Storm Emily. It literally popped up overnight!

I've got things charging and laundry done, so I'm set. Heavy rain, winds and flooding for the next 24 hours or more. DH had a 6am flight this morning and made it out with no delays. I've got a good book I'm reading, Blackout, which is about the grid going down. Probably not the best choice for reading by flashlight if I lose power today.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:15 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Old age and airline travel

Hadn't flown for two years, but flew Los Angeles to New Orleans a week ago, and will return home tomorrow. I am on the tallish side, which means I no longer have enough room for my knees in airline seats. Perhaps old age makes it more difficult to bear minor discomfort, so I elected to pay extra for the extra room provided by "Delta Comfort" seating. It is cheaper than first class, and indeed, it was pretty comfortable.

We old men have to go to the bathroom more often, so I knew that I would use the bathroom on the airplane once during the four hour flight. For many decades I never understood why people on airplanes were always running to the bathroom, and now I am one of them (age 73). It was sad to have to acknowledge that specific limitation of extreme old age, but there is really nothing I can do about it.

In general, airline travel remains very doable, and my flight was hassle-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement