U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 07:57 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Is summer over already? Or is it just the Colorado vortex going through another iteration?

Hopefully this stupid heat wave since June 1st is over. Monsoon season is in full swing, so hopefully nights will be in the 50's and days in the 80's here, where I live, in this stupid desert.

As far as I'm concerned it could start snowing tomorrow and I would be happy.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,641,492 times
I'll rant about cataract surgery for a minute.

I needed cataract surgery in one eye when I was 57. Cataract surgery is normally a very safe & successful procedure, done a gazillion times across the USA with remarkable success.

But I'm not a lucky person. My surgeon implanted the wrong intraocular lens in my eye, and didn't fess up to it.

I'm naturally nearsighted in both eyes. The repaired eye was supposed to be 20/20, but the implanted IOL made me extremely farsighted in the repaired eye. Just to be clear, farsighted does not mean eagle-eyed; it means the lens focuses light behind your retina just as nearsightedness means you lens focuses light in front of your retina.

But wait. It gets worse.

It turns out the physics of light transmission is such that you cannot have eyeglasses with one lens correcting for nearsightedness while the other corrects for farsightedness. The images, while being in focus, are much different in size and the human brain doesn't integrate them well given the massive difference in refractive prescription.

So... can't they just remove the wrong lens and install the right one? Yes -- but only if this error is caught quickly. After several weeks, it isn't possible because the IOL is too "stuck" by tissue attaching to it, and removing it would tear that tissue and all sorts of bad things would happen. My eye surgeon kept saying "let it settle in and I think everything will be fine. It wasn't

My choices: install a 2nd lens as a piggyback, so the combination of the refraction correction would end up focusing the light on my retina -- a moderate risk procedure.

Instead, I opted for laser PRK to reshape the surface of my eyeball so light going through the wrong lens would focus on my retina.

It took several years to get it sorted out.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^^^ I have a near-sighted left eye and a far-sighted right eye. I have always worn glasses with prisms in each lens to give me better vision. So glasses do work in this instance. Prisms are the key. My mother had the same problem and wore glasses.

I had glaucoma surgery and at the same time cataract surgery. The right eye was done first. Unfortunately, the new lens "stuck" to my iris, which was a huge problem for my right eye vision.

Since I still needed the surgery on my left eye, he could not "fix" the problem of my right eye until the surgery was done on the left and healed.

My ophthalmologist then had me come in for laser surgery. He must have given me about 80-100 shots of laser in my right eye which did correct the problem. This all happened from November 2010 through June 2011. I would imagine by now they have made much progress when this problem happens.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:47 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Well, I ended up not seeing the great PBS line-up last night! Hopefully will see the repeat.

PhxBarb called it right! The Cards were on last night and Hubby always manages to find this out!!
But that's okay -- we had beautiful music this morning at church, so that made up for it.

And lots of loud thunder last night, but unfortunately just a smidge of rain. Other areas of town got walloped but not us.

Jim, your cooler weather and the rain sounds wonderful. Enjoy!!!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM

HollyhockGarden: I watched some of the PBS show. Wow, what I saw was so good and the memories.... I cried when they showed JFK and Jackie. So, so sad, so senseless.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:02 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
. . .

My ophthalmologist then had me come in for laser surgery. He must have given me about 80-100 shots of laser in my right eye which did correct the problem. This all happened from November 2010 through June 2011. I would imagine by now they have made much progress when this problem happens.
My opthalmologist did this for me when my glaucoma eyedrops just weren't doing an adequate job (it worked - my pressure is now down to safer levels but I still need to use the drops). She said she could do this twice for each eye, and then I would need more serious intervention.

I haven't yet had any sort of cataract surgery or other related issues. So I'm confused when yours did this to somehow correct your cataract surgery side effects. Only explanation I can think of is that the laser was aimed at a different part of my eye than when you had it done for yours.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My opthalmologist did this for me when my glaucoma eyedrops just weren't doing an adequate job (it worked - my pressure is now down to safer levels but I still need to use the drops). She said she could do this twice for each eye, and then I would need more serious intervention.

I haven't yet had any sort of cataract surgery or other related issues. So I'm confused when yours did this to somehow correct your cataract surgery side effects. Only explanation I can think of is that the laser was aimed at a different part of my eye than when you had it done for yours.
I am happy to read that your pressure is now down to safer levels. I recently saw my doctor and left eye was 9 and right eye is 4, which seems to be the norm for me. I think the eye drops are a way of life for those of us with glaucoma. When I originally started out, I took many different kinds of drops, some of them irritated my eyes so badly I had to stop taking them for a period of time. I have to see my doctor quite frequently. At times the back of my right eye swells which has made it necessary to have a shot of gel inserted into my eye. It's not painful, just a little weird feeling.

My doctor told me he would have to do both surgeries (glaucoma and cataract) at the same time because once the glaucoma surgery was done, he would not be able to do the cataract surgery. Remembering this is 7+ years ago..... and to my knowledge they are working diligently to find improvements every day.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
City band played a Saturday evening concert in the local park at 7 pm in addition to the Sunday afternoon. Movie tunes, Star Wars was the last tune and-----Darth Vader appeared complete with a raspberry/purple saber ! (The band leader had a small blue saber/baton)
Chilly evening though better than the hot sun. Many folks in lawn chairs, and parking so one can see the bandstand.

Sunday, church on the Port Angeles, WA pier, warm, breezy day, later a walk to the post office. Enjoying a mixture of honeydew melon, cantaloupe and some other melon in season. Bless with a country store up the road; notice it was broken into recently along with another store. Cigarettes stolen from the other store, and reminded me the country store does not sell cigarettes.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:50 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am happy to read that your pressure is now down to safer levels. I recently saw my doctor and left eye was 9 and right eye is 4, which seems to be the norm for me. I think the eye drops are a way of life for those of us with glaucoma. When I originally started out, I took many different kinds of drops, some of them irritated my eyes so badly I had to stop taking them for a period of time. I have to see my doctor quite frequently. At times the back of my right eye swells which has made it necessary to have a shot of gel inserted into my eye. It's not painful, just a little weird feeling.

My doctor told me he would have to do both surgeries (glaucoma and cataract) at the same time because once the glaucoma surgery was done, he would not be able to do the cataract surgery. Remembering this is 7+ years ago..... and to my knowledge they are working diligently to find improvements every day.
Yep. I just made using eyedrops a part of my morning and evening 'ritual'. That way it doesn't seem like as much a burden.

One of my drops stings. The Opthalmologist said it was probably because by evening my eyes are a bit dry. So use the other drops first to 'wet' my eyes. That was a good tip.

It sounds like the glaucoma surgery your doctor is referring to is not the one they did for mine. My doctor knows I'll be needing cataract surgery eventually, and she didn't mention any interference with what she did and future cataract surgery.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Well summer has returned. 98 degrees today with a hot howling wind. UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement