U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 02:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,245,184 times

Advertisements

Hollyhock: So sorry to hear your news and I hope you get the support of friends, family AND CD that you need.
When my father got dementia after he had kidney surgery, my mom had an awful time and I remember some of the things she told me and how it affected her life. She loved my Dad enormously but it was killing her to care for him alone. Finally she was on the verge of a breakdown and we worked out a plan to place him at the VA hospital, so she could get some rest. He died there, after a few weeks, and it was a blessing in disguise for my Mom. She lived for 27 years, and had a good, useful life after he passed. My point is: if you need help, please get it. Please care for yourself always. Barb

Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM

606 posts, read 563,787 times
Hollyhock, Ditto what PhxBarb said. So sorry to learn of your situation And do take care of yourself. For me, I had to do this when my husband became bedridden, I could no longer take care of him (he needed to be lifted among other things). After
a hospital visit of 3 days, when to a nursing home for 3 weeks then transitioned to Heaven. He was just 65.

64 is young, though do remember a woman, early 30's? had this disease. DH placed her in a care facility as he had to raise his young daughters-the youngest age 2.

Please continue to Post; am thinking of you.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Friends -- We had some bad news on Monday afternoon. My Hubby, sadly, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. He is only 64 years old! Just trying to digest this news; not easy, as I have health issues of my own, and my disabled brother lives with us. But I am blessed to have some supportive friends and relatives, and we hope to start going to a support group......remembering our blessings is so important. Everybody has issues - it's called life!!!

I am very sorry to read this. I am truthfully a bit lost for words right now; went to a friend's husband's funeral today, he was 70. I'm not really sure what he died from but apparently he had been pretty sick for a long time.

But you have received some excellent comments from some of our posters. It's so important to take care of yourself while going through this. Life can at times pass out some really lousy things just at a time when you might be thinking of slowing down and enjoying life.

I will be thinking of you and your DH and hope that you will stay in touch with us. You have many friends here.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM

8,319 posts, read 12,073,472 times
I, too, am sorry to hear about your situation, but let me give you a somewhat more positive anecdote than the ones above. My aunt also was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her early 60s. Nonetheless, outside of some minor memory issues, she lived a regular life and was mostly fine for the next 20 years. It wasn't until last year, at the age of 84, that she deteriorated and had to be placed under care. So being diagnosed in one's early 60's doesn't necessarily mean an immediate spiral into a life of senility.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:59 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Friends, I appreciate all the kind words. It's been a crazy week; kids flew in from east coast as SIL's grandma died last
night. Good distraction to see them, and I am going out there next week...... On top of that, Pres. Trump is scheduled to come into Phx next week and the Phx mayor formally asked him not to come at this time, fearing trouble like what has been happening in other cities. Sad that all these negative things are happening.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:24 PM

606 posts, read 563,787 times
Hollyhock,

Music, patients with Alzheimer's were given headphones, played music they knew, they responded !

Clallam County Faire this weekend, grandchildren showing---chickens ! Blue ribbons for all their time and care.
Grandson did what seem a huge display of air shooting ? Happy these teen/soon to be teen have interests; with the air shooting, he trains every day, running, eats healthy. Give one hope for the future.

Plants for the shade I would enjoy, Home Depot only seem to have plants for the sun. Purchased new sprayers---? the thing under the facet ! LOL Quite a handywoman I am becoming ! At least I took the item with me, when asked if I needed help-Yes ! Maybe I have brain freeze !

Charles Martin, quite detailed his novels seem to be, though I enjoy the current read as he describes the neighborhood around downtown Charleston. Only spent 5 days there and wanted to move there ! Yes, I know the weather in summer is humid.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Went over to my son's for dinner. My great-granddaughter showed off the pillow she made on the sewing machine she got for X-mas.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 PM

3,504 posts, read 4,060,173 times
How old is she? I bet she was proud of her ability no matter what her age! :-)

Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM

1,352 posts, read 867,042 times
Ok I need to mini rant

I sent my daughter a Dunkin Donuts gift card for her birthday at the beginning of the month. I should have sent it out sooner but I had no idea it would take them 4 days to even process the order. Anyways she should have received the birthday card and DD gift card by the 15th. I finally texted her yesterday to ask if she had received a card. She replied
Quote:
I did. I'm sorry I got really excited about the DD card and must have forgotten to tell you thank you. Thank you!
I thought I had raised her to always respond to any kind of gift so I'm disappointed in her.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
How old is she? I bet she was proud of her ability no matter what her age! :-)
She will be 10 in Jan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement