U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ok I need to mini rant

I sent my daughter a Dunkin Donuts gift card for her birthday at the beginning of the month. I should have sent it out sooner but I had no idea it would take them 4 days to even process the order. Anyways she should have received the birthday card and DD gift card by the 15th. I finally texted her yesterday to ask if she had received a card. She replied
I thought I had raised her to always respond to any kind of gift so I'm disappointed in her.
How old is she Deelighted?

I'm sorry to say but that problem seems to be growing. My gripe is family not saying Happy Birthday. I say it to them, some with cards, but zero back.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
The end is in sight! Three weeks of watching our son's pets will be done tomorrow evening! My life seems to have consisted of cat boxes, dog walks, picking up poos on the walks, feeding twice a day, giving meds, putting their parrot and cage out on the lanai every morning and bringing it back in in the evening, and keeping everybody company. I now know pet watching would not be a way to make money in retirement, you couldn't pay me enough.

Their pool is sparkling blue, last year we fought with it and it was still slightly green when they returned. Oops. We've done much better this year. I'll stock their fridge with a few basics, today or tomorrow to get them through breakfast and some snacks.

I had hip and groin pain yesterday, I probably overdid something. It hurt a little as I repotted some plants and then went on a weeding and fertilizing jag in the afternoon. I was too worried about having a heat stroke to bother with how bad it hurt when I was done. It's better this morning, more of an ache than acute pain. Just a reminder I'm not 30 anymore. And when will I ever learn?

DH is in Chattanooga today, not totality with the eclipse but his viewing will be more dramatic than here. If he remembers to go look. I know he'll be busy, but I'm sure everyone will take a few minutes to watch.

I hope everyone has clear weather to watch the eclipse today, totality or partial.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-21-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
How old is she Deelighted?

I'm sorry to say but that problem seems to be growing. My gripe is family not saying Happy Birthday. I say it to them, some with cards, but zero back.
She's in her 30's. Both my children are usually good about calling me, and I had called and talked to her on her actual birthday.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
I spent this morning reading back through several pages of posts before I gave up trying to catch up

@Holly, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope that you'll find a good support group to provide assistance. I helped my aunt with my uncle, so I know what you are experiencing and I send hugs your way.

@sera, You must have sent the hawk my way again While I was at Saturday's book sale, the hawk appeared right above us and took a couple of turns gliding above the fire station. I think he was showing off!

@jean_ji, I love reading your posts. Please keep them coming as they always bring a smile to my face

@jim, hugs to you too!

I'm still busy trying to write. I spend several hours each morning trying to compose my thoughts and hours on end doing historical research.

I'm still a tournament director for an online cribbage site. I have five scheduled tournaments (these can last up to two hours) scheduled each week, and sometimes I'll run additional tournaments. Sometimes the tournaments can get challenging to keep track of who is supposed to play whom, and I have several more grey hairs to show for it. But I host so that other tournament directors will have a chance to actually play the game.

I'm still active with Friends of the town and Friends of the library, and I make it a point to go to the senior center every Friday for lunch. When I'm not busy with everything else or cleaning, then you'll find me with my head in a book!

I'm excited that meo will soon be here! Yes we AZ gals will definitely need to plan an outing after she arrives

Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Deelighted, I'm glad I can bring a smile to your day.

I love cribbage! I used to play with my DH and his parents: guys against gals. We had them psyched out that we always won, which wasn't really true, but we had them convinced. I miss playing it since my FIL passed on.

The Friends of the Library here were instrumental in making so many fun events for the kids happen at the local library this summer. I'm sure they do many things for adults too, but I'm hanging out with the grandkids for now and that's what I see the most. They are a great group.

You AZ girls are going to be having fun!

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-21-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Read on a local message board some parents are taking their kids out of school today because of the eclipse and "possible protests and riots". Seriously?????????

Personally, I'm in my bunker with my tin foil hat on.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Read on a local message board some parents are taking their kids out of school today because of the eclipse and "possible protests and riots". Seriously?????????

Personally, I'm in my bunker with my tin foil hat on.

I heard one woman say this eclipse is a total life changer.

I must be living in a cave or something. This "event" doesn't fire me up at all.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
jim9251---Thank you for LOL of the day !

Each one, y'all ! thank you for sharing your life's journey ! My late Darling ! Husband, told me to quit saying y'all, I am not from the South. Though paternal roots from Virginia,(great-grandparents); now that he's in Heaven, just say y'all anytime I want to ! This seasoned senior is a rebellious 2 year old ? !

Part of a community I do feel here, explained this to a regular Poster. Missed his Posts, he explained he was hibernating, loss of his dear wife and felt he was being redundant ! He has Posted, can empathize a little bit and happy he posted.

Point ? You are each valued, treasured; if I need to hibernate as I have done before on this Forum, will let you know!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:41 PM

6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I heard one woman say this eclipse is a total life changer.

I must be living in a cave or something. This "event" doesn't fire me up at all.
I wasn't going to "look" at it, but I happened to be at our library and they had glasses for sale.

Came home and sat outside to check it out. Wow - something happened. It was astonishing. The most amazing thing I have seen is the Grand Canyon - the first view of it was it anyway. This is the second. Even the aurora borealis is barely third.

Then got a message from my cousins two houses down. I went over. They didn't have glasses and were trying to see it with a cereal box contraption.

As each one took a turn with the glasses, they too were amazed, astounded! Hard to describe.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:59 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ok I need to mini rant

I sent my daughter a Dunkin Donuts gift card for her birthday at the beginning of the month. I should have sent it out sooner but I had no idea it would take them 4 days to even process the order. Anyways she should have received the birthday card and DD gift card by the 15th. I finally texted her yesterday to ask if she had received a card. She replied
I thought I had raised her to always respond to any kind of gift so I'm disappointed in her.

You know, after quite a few years in a row of not knowing if my kids even GOT what I sent for b'days and Christmas, I quit sending anything. I didn't want "thanks" for it. I just wanted to know they got it okay. They couldn't be bothered so I spent what money I would have spent on 'charity'. At work we have a gift tree every year for kids and seniors. They put ages and items wanted/needed on the card and that's what I got. I told the kids I was doing it and why. Last year I sent them gift cards again and they DID let me know they got them. AND said "thanks". They still don't acknowledge my b'day, etc. but I don't care because I don't either. One DD does...the one who now lives with me. She knows which side her bread is buttered on. lol They were all raised with manners as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement