U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,086,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I hadn't planned on going into all of this detail, but given the recent thread about Robyn (and RiverBird before her), with people wondering what happened to them when they stopped posting, I figured I'd get the info out now in the event that I stop posting here as well.
Thank you for telling us. I hope your treatment will be successful.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
MMoB, I'll add my wishes for a good outcome for you too.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:09 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
MMoB -- Thank you for sharing with us. I'm sorry to hear this news, but just concerned for you, my friend, that you will be feeling as well as you can, with all the meds. Always enjoy seeing your posts and hope to see them continue for a long time.

Montana Griz -- I hope you are safe and sound in your corner of Montana and far away from the fires. I have a friend who lives near Lolo [I think that's the name] and close to the fire. A couple of homes have been lost, I understand. Praying for all the First Responders, and all the folks and animals impacted.

Thank you all for the well-wishes. Starting to perk up a bit, I think!

Saw the lady who won the PowerBall on the tv on the noon news. She looks like an "Ordinary Jane" kind of a person and I hope things work out well for her. Now if it had been me/us, you would not have seen me on the tv at all, unless the state law absolutely forced me to come forward. If I'm remembering correctly, they did pass a law here in AZ so you can remain anonymous if you choose. Frankly I would be afraid to have my name given out. And with that amount of money, I would think it would take longer to get things legally ready/secured before going on tv. Some people wait weeks/months. Anyway, I wish her the very best and hope the $$ can bring her some more comforts of life, whatever they might be (?) and that she is able to direct the rest of it toward some special causes she wants to help.

Thinking about all the folks in Houston, preparing for Harvey. It sounds like they are expecting an enormous amount of rain. We just had some utility crews leave from Phoenix this morning, driving to Houston to be there to help out our neighbors in their time of need.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Hollyhock........
You have my sincere heartfelt sympathy regarding your husband.....
Several years ago my wonderful mother ultimately passed away (at age 89) from Alzheimer's disease after 10 yrs. My late wife and I tried taking care of her in our home, but after she progressed to the point when she had no idea who I was (her only son), we had to admit her into a local facility that had a section devoted to Alzheimer's patients.
And now just 5 months ago, my only sister, who had been battling that degrading disease for 9 yrs, passed away here in the same facility as my mom, she was 88.
So far I show no signs of it, but..... who knows. This is my 12th year of living here alone with my dog in the house that my late wife and I built back iin early 1980. Thank God I 'm only approx 12 miles out of town, but I make myself get into town (pop of approx 4500) every 2 or 3 days.
I have NO complaints......going on 86, I have had a great life and I still totally enjoy living out here in the "boonies".........still after almost 38 yrs, I still can not see another house and the variety of wildlife I see every day is a great joy to me.
I wish you the best in all respects, and ask God to help you carry "this load!"

Oh, almost forgot,.....the Lolo Peak fire is approx 19 miles north of my place. It has as of today burned approx 38,000 acres, and will continue to burn (with approx 50% containment) until the first snows hit in mid October.
It is one of 13 Wildland forest fires we have in MT at the present time.
This particular area in this valley in western Montana has not seen any measurable rain in 60 days. Today my place got the first shower (about 40 seconds worth) in 40 days.
I still would prefer to live here rather than on the gulf coast near Corpus Christi......(my late wife and I spent three months every winter for the first 5 winters of our retirement on an island 7 miles from Corpus C.).. I can not imagine wha t that 10 to 12 foot storm surge is going to do to that area in the next 24 hours!!!!!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:15 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
MMoB, Thank you for sharing, wishing you peace, prayers for your treatments.

Thank each of you for Posting; enjoy living on the Olympic Peninsula and have been since 1993. Having grown up in the San Francisco-Bay Area, do miss the variety of people, delis and being able to get to various towns with a short time. My husband (now in Heaven), as I may have shared, from MN, wanted to leave CA, so the opportunity arose after we visited in 1992.

1/3 less, approximately to live here than Oakland, CA. Oakland can be undesirable to many folks, though I do know pleasant areas.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,173,596 times
I browse here very often but don't always post........so catching up today to wish everyone strength in what we are each facing----and may we all have good outcomes.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Well the normal high for this time of year is 80 degrees. Right now at 7pm it is 99 degrees outside. The goofy local tv weather man was absolutely giddy about BREAKING A NEW RECORD FOR HEAT. I want to drive the 60 miles to his studio to slap the guy. I am so ready for October.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:49 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Hey Jim.........
I agree with you about the excessive heat. My elevation here is approx 3666 on the floor of the valley and in the last 60 days my 2 outside (in the shade) theremometers have AVG 41 days over 90 and 15 of those it was approx 97/98.
This is my 38th summer here full time and NEVER has it been this hot in my immediate area........and no measurable rain in approx 60 days!
If I remember correctly, you are retired LEO from the eastern part of the US, and thus are familiar with firearms. May I ask, are you a Hunter and have you possibly hunted up on top of the Umcompadre plateau for deer and or elk.
Back in the 1960s & 70s, I lived in CO, and did many trips into that area and we would set up a 10 day elk hunting camp in tents with horses. We would exit the highway going west bound, at Silt and proceed south ( on a forest service "unbelievably bad so-called road") for about 35 to 40 miles, in 4wd and chained up on all four wheels pulling a 4 horse trailer.
I lived on the front range and obviously there was no interstate......we'd have to come over 2 lane Loveland Pass at 11,404 feet and pray till we got to Glenwood Springs!!!!!
I had some really great trips "back in the days"!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
I feel like I can breathe now for the first time this weekend.

My several close friends in SE Texas have all finally checked in as safe, some at rescue shelters.
That includes a family of 3 - father (Houston physician), mother (Houston artist) and their infant son who have been trapped since early this am on the 2nd floor of a neighbor's home. Just this past hour they've notified us they were picked up by "good samaritans with a boat" and then transported, carrying only a diaper bag and a backpack, to a rescue shelter, where they've been told they'll be able to stay for at least 48 hours.
They've lost their home, vehicles, and all belongings. Their immense gratitude to their rescuers and their feelings of relief are tempered by their concerns about the untold thousands whose resources are less than theirs. Matthew (the physician) said "I know I'll have a job to go back to, so many people won't".

Old 08-27-2017, 10:11 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Jim and Montana -- I truly understand where you are coming from; it has been a long hot summer down here in Phoenix, too. It annoys me also when a weatherman gets excited about breaking a heat record -- I don't think it is anything to celebrate.

Speaking of weather records, it is disturbing to see all the Houston flooding. While right now we are in a rescue mode, eventually the rain will cease, and the realization will be that so many people will have no livable homes to return to, and that the same water damage will have impacted their workplaces and possibly their vehicles. I am glad to see so many people helping out -- when the going gets rough, I do think America works and donates to help their neighbors in trouble.

I wonder if they will be relocating some "Houston refugees" in the same way they did with the Katrina refugees? I actually ran into a lady who was working at our local Fry's [Kroeger] grocery store and she told me how her family was re-located to Arizona after they lost everything. They did end up staying here and never went back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement