U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times

Advertisements

Congrats to all the winners, of which I was not one !! LOL

Old 08-29-2017, 02:01 PM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
What is wrong with people?!

I just read an article in the Washington Post that stated that only 17% of homeowners in the 8 counties most affected by flooding in Houston carried flood insurance. Moreover, the average cost of flood insurance in Texas is only $500/year (although it can go up to $2k/yr) and covers up to $250,000 in rebuilding costs plus $100,000 for replacement of personal property. As the disaster in Houston has shown, you don't need to be near a body of water for flood insurance to come into play.

One person quoted in the article stated that he bought flood insurance when it was $200/yr., but dropped it when it rose to $300+ because his home had never flooded before Harvey. Let this be a warning to some of you who may be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to protecting your home from natural disasters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bc27bbf88e8c

Edited to add: I'm paying $450/yr. for my policy for the same coverage as described above.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
MMoB - I agree with you on principle -- yes, if you live in an area prone to flooding you should buy flood insurance. But it goes beyond that. We humans sometimes mess up big times and need a little prodding!!! I think the mortgage companies need to force the issue. Require it!!! Same with the apartment owners. Force them to show proof of insurance before handing them the keys!

A better solution, IMHO, would be to charge everyone in the U.S. in the U.S. for flood insurance. Have everyone pay for it and spread the cost and the risk. I would rather pay more and be covered in case it does happen, rather than be worried if and when we start to get a horrific amount of rain. And I live in the desert of AZ, where typically we do not get much rain. And I say that as a homeowner who grew up in IL [more likely a tornado country] who was hit not once, but twice, with horrific Microbursts which damaged two homes in the Phoenix area. But I am aware that climatic patterns are changing and we are living in strange times.

Well, I did get word last night about a younger gal I know, 28-ish and single, who has been caught in the floods. Fortunately, she had packed up her car on Thursday night and drove to some friends' home, where she has been staying. They are to the NW side, up toward Katy, TX., and have been safe. She has since learned her apt is "history" and the 2 restaurants she managed are badly flood-damaged. Don't know anything about the company owner's or any of that. But I'm sure she and everyone who worked at these two places is out of work. Hopefully she will be able to get some Disaster UI relief, when that program is started. She is fortunate as she has her health and her car [which is huge] but likely no $$ to put gas in the tank. But she does have a place to stay, which is indeed a blessing.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:46 PM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
MMoB - I agree with you on principle -- yes, if you live in an area prone to flooding you should buy flood insurance. But it goes beyond that. We humans sometimes mess up big times and need a little prodding!!!
Actually, my point was that one should seriously consider getting flood insurance even if one isn't in a flood zone. Especially since it is so cheap if you aren't in a flood zone, and also because it covers any situation where water enters the house from the exterior of the property, not just the classic definition of a flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I think the mortgage companies need to force the issue. Require it!!!
They do require it if - and only if - you live in a flood zone.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
First of all I want to say how grateful I am that I am not going through that. I live in central New York, one of the centers for snow country. I prefer dealing with what that title brings us..... snow, cold, loss of electric, impassable roads. But....... these inconveniences do not last for what must seem to the people in TX a lifetime. We don't lose our homes, autos, jobs, etc. The list goes on. I can't think of them all.

The other comment I want to make is this: Houston's proximity to the ocean is pretty darned close. There have been other bad storms that have hit Houston and surrounding areas pretty hard. But Harvey takes the cake for being humongous. And being right next door to New Orleans, LA and only a short time ago that city was hit by Katrina........ I would not take anything for granted. If Katrina could do to N.O., why would anyone think that the same thing wouldn't happen to them. I understand that many people are probably dirt poor and that extra $100 insurance money might seem like an impossible expense. But when you add up what the loss will cost, there is no comparison.

Bless all those first responders. How long since any of them have had a rest? A cup of coffee? A meal? Thank you to all of you who give to others without thinking of yourselves.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:27 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
I remember an awful flood in the early 80's where I worked. Folks were sitting in the middle of a state highway fishing, we were getting hundreds of people out of flooded homes. I remember snakes everywhere. Was up for 36 hours straight until I collapsed on the floor of a local church that was being used as a shelter. Woke up 10 hours later and back at it for 20 hours straight. Finally went home took a long hot shower threw my uniform away and slept for 2 solid days. Then back at it because of looters. Those Houston police, firemen and paramedics won't rest or sleep until their bodies just give out. They might grab a quick cup of coffee or a sandwich. This will go on for weeks if not months.

The snakes, that's what I remember most. Those snakes.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:41 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
jim9251: Thank you for your service, Jim. I would remember the snakes, too!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey Jim.........................(snipet).........
If I remember correctly, you are retired LEO from the eastern part of the US, and thus are familiar with firearms. May I ask, are you a Hunter and have you possibly hunted up on top of the Umcompadre plateau for deer and or elk.
Back in the 1960s & 70s, I lived in CO, and did many trips into that area and we would set up a 10 day elk hunting camp in tents with horses. We would exit the highway going west bound, at Silt and proceed south ( on a forest service "unbelievably bad so-called road") for about 35 to 40 miles, in 4wd and chained up on all four wheels pulling a 4 horse trailer.
I lived on the front range and obviously there was no interstate......we'd have to come over 2 lane Loveland Pass at 11,404 feet and pray till we got to Glenwood Springs!!!!!
I had some really great trips "back in the days"!
...........Thanks for your courteous response.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey Jim.........
I agree with you about the excessive heat. My elevation here is approx 3666 on the floor of the valley and in the last 60 days my 2 outside (in the shade) theremometers have AVG 41 days over 90 and 15 of those it was approx 97/98.
This is my 38th summer here full time and NEVER has it been this hot in my immediate area........and no measurable rain in approx 60 days!
If I remember correctly, you are retired LEO from the eastern part of the US, and thus are familiar with firearms. May I ask, are you a Hunter and have you possibly hunted up on top of the Umcompadre plateau for deer and or elk.
Back in the 1960s & 70s, I lived in CO, and did many trips into that area and we would set up a 10 day elk hunting camp in tents with horses. We would exit the highway going west bound, at Silt and proceed south ( on a forest service "unbelievably bad so-called road") for about 35 to 40 miles, in 4wd and chained up on all four wheels pulling a 4 horse trailer.
I lived on the front range and obviously there was no interstate......we'd have to come over 2 lane Loveland Pass at 11,404 feet and pray till we got to Glenwood Springs!!!!!
I had some really great trips "back in the days"!
Retired from Arkansas.. Not a hunter, can't afford it. I do go fishing a lot since my fishing license is $1 now instead of $46!

Luckily I get enough deer and elk from friends. Yes some of the forest service roads here are nothing more than a rock covered steep trail. Fun to drive on and scare visiting relatives to death.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
Attitude of Gratitude

Posters on the Chat Thread who care about each; those in disaster areas who are being helped by tireless folks like jim9251, thank you !

Grateful for dear friends who offer empathy, wisdom, prayers---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement