U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times

Advertisements

Well, we had a bit of good news about the young lady (28) who has become homeless after Harvey destroyed her apartment. She also feared she was jobless, but her boss actually called her into work today. This gal manages 2 restaurants and wasn't sure what to expect. I haven't heard the report from today's adventure, but perhaps she still has a job!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
It is day four of our hurricane resistant replacement windows being installed. Tomorrow is outside work installing a Kevlar roller shade over the lanai opening.

We have touched up paint around the windows, but not put back up window coverings. A county inspector has to check the windows/door are installed to hurricane code and the then the access areas can be covered.

It's a big project and going well so far. It's not as bad as I expected, but I want my house and routine back, so do the cats. The dog likes the installers, so he doesn't care.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:25 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I need to vent.

A week ago I went to a doctor (gastroenterologist, actually saw his R.N.) for a problem I had been having for 2+ weeks. I was trying to treat it myself but I finally gave up. But by the time I got there (doctor's appointment), it had almost cleared up. The nurse explained to me there was medicine they could give me for it and if it happened again, to call her.

OK, it happened again and I thought I should call to avoid all the discomfort I had experienced before.

First I had to explain to the person on the phone all the gory details of my problem and then she asked several more questions. I'm not even sure this person was a nurse.

She put me through to a nurse. Once again, I had to explain what was wrong and why I was calling. I was told she would have to get back to me. I got another call later from another person, who once again asked me what the problem was, said she would get back to me. Lastly, I received another phone call (about 5 p.m.) from a man who (you guessed it) asked me what was the problem. Yup, he'd have to get back to me.

No, no one got back to me. I'm thinking of skipping the phone and going to the office to talk to a manager.

Is this what I can expect from doctors from now on?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I need to vent.

Is this what I can expect from doctors from now on?
They have a thing here, you pay $60 a month or something like that and you WILL see and/or talk to a doctor anytime you need to.

Might want to see if something like that is in your area. And yes unfortunately, that's how our so called health care works these days. You're nothing more than patient 23895B45Z875.

Gosh I remember my doctor making house calls.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
They have a thing here, you pay $60 a month or something like that and you WILL see and/or talk to a doctor anytime you need to.

Might want to see if something like that is in your area. And yes unfortunately, that's how our so called health care works these days. You're nothing more than patient 23895B45Z875.

Gosh I remember my doctor making house calls.

I remember house-calls, too. I was about ten years old when I fell from monkey bars and broke my nose. My doctor stopped by to check on me a few hours after I saw him in his office.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:00 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
NYGal: You probably should have just said you were still having the issue when you went in the first time. That's how things are these days, especially with Medicare Advantage Plans (I have one). I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which comes and goes and terrible cramping at times. I never know when it will happen, or where I will be. If I go to the NP, I say " I am having this issue, it will happen again, what do I do"? Just because I don't have it right now, does not mean it won't happen again. When they say, "call me", I just try to forget that part. Phone calls mean nothing these days to medical people. They don't remember who you are or what your issue was.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
NYGal: You probably should have just said you were still having the issue when you went in the first time. That's how things are these days, especially with Medicare Advantage Plans (I have one). I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which comes and goes and terrible cramping at times. I never know when it will happen, or where I will be. If I go to the NP, I say " I am having this issue, it will happen again, what do I do"? Just because I don't have it right now, does not mean it won't happen again. When they say, "call me", I just try to forget that part. Phone calls mean nothing these days to medical people. They don't remember who you are or what your issue was.

I did tell them that. That I had been in the week before and was told if the problem recurred to call and she would recommend more meds to take care of the problem.

I finally did hear from a male nurse who was very courteous and told me what the R.N. recommended. Only problem is I apparently did not get the point across that there was surface pain that perhaps a salve could have helped. I'll talk to the pharmacist..... easier.

I also talked to a manager.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
I wondered how much of that rain from Hurricane Harvey would equal to snowfall here, it would be 125 FEET of snow in 24 hours.

But there's would be any snakes.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Heard from meo She's now in Las Vegas, NM and will arrive here tomorrow!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Heard from meo She's now in Las Vegas, NM and will arrive here tomorrow!
Thanks Dee, I was wondering if Meo had arrived yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement