U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 AM

30,034 posts, read 35,217,378 times

Advertisements

Wonder if with time Florida and South Carolina will lose some of their retirement drawing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 PM

8,315 posts, read 12,068,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
MadManofB - Thinking of you! I am glued to the weather channel. There is so much wind and water in Miami. The weather person is near Brickel and it is well past his knees(and rising!). I hope you are safe and sound. I suspect you may have lost power so may not see this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
...I, too, am anxious to hear how MMoB made out down in Miami.
Survived the hurricane with minimal damage. We lost power Sunday morning and heard that we may not have it restored until next Sunday. We lost a 100+ year old huge banyan tree that had been in front of our house, but got uprooted right at the tail end of the storm Sunday night. Fortunately, it fell across the street rather than in our yard or on our house. Other than that we came through it fine.

I was just admitted to the hospital today to begin my scheduled 4th cycle of chemo. I should be here until Sunday. Normally, I don't like being in the hospital, but it's nice to have electricity, cable, Internet, and especially a/c!

Miami Beach was completely closed until 8:00am this morning (Tuesday) so we didn't know what shape our oceanfront condo was in until this afternoon. It's only about 3 miles from the hospital, so my wife took a quick drive over there an hour ago to check it out. Other than the loss of a few palm trees around the building, everything looks fine. And the best thing is that the building has electricity! So my wife will pack up our dog and our cat and move over there tomorrow morning. Definitely better than sitting in a dark, hot, house with a flashlight and a battery-operated radio for entertainment!

Hope all other C/D Floridians have made it through Irma as well.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
MMoB: Good news re the hurricane and your home and oceanfront condo. Glad you are all OK.

Good luck with your chemo treatments.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:29 PM

705 posts, read 808,416 times
MMOB: It's good to hear from you. I am happy your damage was minimal. What a blessing that your wife can move over to the condo.

Take care of yourself, and check in when you can. Wishing you only the best always.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM

214 posts, read 195,064 times
Hi,

The damage here in Sarasota was less than expected but we still had a lot of debris, a lot of standing water, and numerous power outages. In my apartment complex which contains nine buildings, only two lost power. We were lucky I guess. We had one huge tree go down in the back of one building, but it fell out towards the parking lot. No damage to any vehicles.

It may take until September 22 to get power fully restored. Some areas may need some rebuilding in addition to just restoring power. Some of the stores reopened today. There are still intersections where the traffic lights are down.

MMOB: Best wishes to you with your treatment.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM

10,203 posts, read 12,538,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
MMoB: Good news re the hurricane and your home and oceanfront condo. Glad you are all OK.

Yes, I wish you best of luck as well. Take care.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM

238 posts, read 197,426 times
MMoB, Best wishes for a speedy and positive response to the Chemo.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM

1,643 posts, read 630,167 times
MMoB - So happy to hear you made it through Irma with minimal damage. Sorry about the 100 yr old tree, though. I hope this treatment goes well for you.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:53 AM

8,315 posts, read 12,068,488 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
MMOB: It's good to hear from you. I am happy your damage was minimal. What a blessing that your wife can move over to the condo.

Take care of yourself, and check in when you can. Wishing you only the best always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, I wish you best of luck as well. Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
MMoB, Best wishes for a speedy and positive response to the Chemo.
Quote:

Thank you all very much. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
Adding my good thoughts for you also. You can rest easier and focus on yourself, knowing your wife has a place with power. Guests in FL are to be expected, but those uninvited ones, like Irma, are the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement