U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,086,106 times

Advertisements

MMOB glad to hear you made it through the storm and are both OK, and your wife has power.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:40 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
It's raining! Cold front coming through supposed to be down into the 40's tonight and high of 70 tomorrow. YAY! It hasn't rained here in 6 weeks and has been in the high 90's. SO happy for cooler weather.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
MMOB, Thank you for Posting, pleased you are safe as well as wife and furbabies. Your positive outlook is a light to me and I am sure to your wife as well as those who come into your presence.

jim, on the Oly. Peninsaula, there's been some rain, though with the hay/grass around the home, good fodder for cattle! Grateful to have a home; know grey skies, rain is around the bend. Weather, always gives one something to say.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 PM

9:30pm STILL raining! All the windows are open, this rain smells so good and it's 48 degrees out with a nice breeze. FINALLY! Gee whiz am I gonna sleep good tonight.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Sunshine, cool breeze and 45 degrees this morning. Air is crisp and smells so good. Sure nice to have all the windows open and fresh air. Snow on the mountains south of me overnight, a dusting in Ouray. WOO HOO!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:19 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Hello everyone! Just now I found a really interesting CD Thread and wanted to alert you all that it is out there in CD land. I only discovered it by chance when I was looking at "New Threads", which I occasionally do!

It is in Books and is about the children's book series, "Little House on the Prairie". The discussion is interesting and, so far, is 6 or 7 pages long. Check it out!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:18 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
6 days later here in Naples at a friends concrete house with generator and internet yesterday.
Winds at highest here were 135. Fascinating to watch.
My manufactured community 6 miles south was just about devastated, still without water and power and houses from not bad to damaged to destroyed.
For the savable, the hope is power gets restored for the AC so mold won't take over.
I was luckier than some. My roof is rolled up and my lanai has disappeared. I don't know whose yard it's in since all that aluminum looks the same.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
old-cold ---- So sorry to hear your home has been so badly damaged in Irma. Were you home at the time or were you already at your friend's house? Glad you were not physically hurt. I am glad you have a place to stay for now. We have a family friend in Houston whose apt is now uninhabitable, and like you, she is staying with friends. She has been able to rent an apt to move into, effective Oct 1st.

Hoping things will work out okay for you, in terms of repairs for your home. I know everything takes time in a situation like this, since so many people are in the same boat. Please keep us posted!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:08 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
6 days later here in Naples at a friends concrete house with generator and internet yesterday.
Winds at highest here were 135. Fascinating to watch.
My manufactured community 6 miles south was just about devastated, still without water and power and houses from not bad to damaged to destroyed.
For the savable, the hope is power gets restored for the AC so mold won't take over.
I was luckier than some. My roof is rolled up and my lanai has disappeared. I don't know whose yard it's in since all that aluminum looks the same.
My heart goes out to you and I hope power and water is restored to your community very soon. We sent pics to our neighbor of her house after the storm, while she was staying at her sister's a few hours away. She broke down crying, she was so relieved to see her house was okay.

Our son and family just got their power back late last night, they've been six days without power or water. FPL and out of state crews have been working tirelessly. There were many big trees down, taking power lines out and neighborhood grids with them.

We lost power for six hours at the height of the storm and were lucky. We've been the kid's source of power, water, food, showers and cooling breaks. And a cold beer at the end of a long day. They've been cleaning and staying overnight at their house without AC, running a generator to keep their refrigerator cold and to run a fan, and going to work in the day. I'm so glad we are here and can help out.

The grandkids have been great and will be glad to see school start again tomorrow. Schools were closed all week while power was being restored and the schools used as shelters cleaned up. The grandkids are becoming Florida tough; they are learning to be resourceful and to live minimally, following their parent's example and not being shielded from life's realities.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-17-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 10:36 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Got my daughter and family moved into their new house. Now all my children are homeowners. My son got cleared to drive and will be back to work tomorrow. Cooler weather has arrived, turned off the AC and opened the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement