U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times

Advertisements

^^^^ Meo, so glad you won't be there to deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 AM

30,034 posts, read 35,217,378 times
MMoB, hope all goes well with the treatment and a classic Jewish Deli is a relic to be treasured. That sandwich sounds classic
ha

Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, yesterday's first day in the hospital was pretty uneventful once I got admitted. I arrived at the Cancer Center next to the hospital to see my oncologist at 10:00am. The appointment was concluded at 10:30 and I was told that I was just waiting for a room to be available on the appropriate floor of the hospital. After sitting and waiting until noon, I had had enough and told my wife that we were leaving and going to lunch.

When we advised staff that we were leaving for lunch, we were told that my room would be ready in 30 minutes. I replied that that was fine, but we would be back in 90. I added that I was sure that the room wasn't going anywhere. We then drove about 2 miles away to one of the few remaining old-style Jewish Delis on Miami Beach. I had a great corned beef sandwich with coleslaw and dill pickles on the side (which they serve in big bowls for the whole table). I figured that I'd enjoy one last good meal before restarting the chemo and having nausea kick in.

We returned to the hospital about 1:30pm and I was whisked away to my assigned room. The chemo was started shortly thereafter without incident. Later that night when the night shift nurse came on, I advised her that I wasn't sick (other than the cancer, lol) and technically could be getting my chemo as an outpatient, so I didn't want to be awakened several times in the middle of the night to have my vital signs checked if I was sleeping. I added that if I happened to be awake (and I am usually awake for a period of time in the middle of the night) then it would be okay to check my vitals, but if not, to let me sleep. She agreed and I got a good night's sleep.
I love that you have an active role and voice in your healthcare. You made clear decisions regarding your admission and getting uninterrupted sleep. Why would you act any differently in a hospital than you do in everyday life?

From your posts, I see you as an intelligent person with a clear plan for your life. Cancer wasn't part of that plan and required some adjustments, but now you are posting more like you used to: with sass and a slight edge. That's a good sign, imo.
Continued wishes for successful treatments.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-26-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM

8,315 posts, read 12,068,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I love that you have an active role and voice in your healthcare. You made clear decisions regarding your admission and getting uninterrupted sleep. Why would you act any differently in a hospital than you do in everyday life?

From your posts, I see you as an intelligent person with a clear plan for your life. Cancer wasn't part of that plan and required some adjustments, but now you are posting more like you used to: with sass and a slight edge. That's a good sign, imo.
That actually may not be a good sign after all. Coincidentally, I recently passed my one-year anniversary since my last infraction (10/14/16) for posting with too much "sass," lol. In the previous year (11/22/15 - 10/14/16) I received a total of five infractions for my "edgy" responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Continued wishes for successful treatments.
Thank you.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
An update from Minnesota. Winter storms advisory. Did not want to rub it in but so glad I moved to Arizona right about now!

<Here's me sticking my tongue out at you> Yes - Yesterday I worked outside getting all the pre-winter stuff done <still not done>. Got outside water turned off and drained - washed a few remaining windows - painted a primed window - raked MORE leaves - started rearranging the garage to get all patio furniture in it, etc............................................... ......

I swear I was just complaining that it was hot & humid and then wham it's almost winter.

I will think of you this winter - probably not til 12/26 when I start becoming tired of it all.

My cat just jumped on my keyboard - the screen got big and then disappeared but I managed to get it back <that darn cat>.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That actually may not be a good sign after all. Coincidentally, I recently passed my one-year anniversary since my last infraction (10/14/16) for posting with too much "sass," lol. In the previous year (11/22/15 - 10/14/16) I received a total of five infractions for my "edgy" responses.

Thank you.
Some people are so sensitive - I like a little sass. Good luck with your possibly last treatment. Pastrami is my favorite.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
An update from Minnesota. Winter storms advisory. Did not want to rub it in but so glad I moved to Arizona right about now!

LOL...a BIG reason people like to move here! It's even worth having to suffer through our summers but I've lived with it all my life and is just is what is. The weather is so close to perfect up here I wish I could keep it this way. For the next ten days the temps will drop from 88 to 75 hi's and 55-50 lows, mostly full sunny days. Night temps are perfect for sleeping. It's 72 right now with an expected hi of 88...we'll see!

Old 10-27-2017, 10:52 AM

1,349 posts, read 865,998 times
The town will host a "trunk or treat" again this year and I'm looking forward to participating. Last year, I crocheted a spider web that I strung across my trunk. I may use it again this year as no other inspiration has struck yet.

After lunch at the senior center today, I plan on going to DollarTree in the city and getting treats for the kids. I also plan on stopping at Hobby Lobby which is nearby. I've taken apart a rug that I'd crocheted and have been re-using the yarn to needlepoint another rug. To sew the pieces of canvas mesh together, I've decided that I should use the heavy cotton crochet thread, hence the need to stop by Hobby Lobby

Since my novel that I started last year is still not complete, I've once again signed up to try to write 50k words during November -- so if I go missing, please don't be worried!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 PM

606 posts, read 563,577 times
Thank you Deelighted about letting us know the reason for the possibly of an upcoming absent; so look forward to reading your novel.

MMOB---Spunk not sass is what you have ! Being assertive in your health care, life's journey !

Meo---counting blessings; think of my in-laws in Brooklyn Park, MN ! My dear sister-in-law, brother-in-law came out to see my husband for the last time in 2011. Laughed we did, the 2 sister-in-laws and I, as the brother-in-law pushed my husband in his wheelchair down the street. Thought he was in a race ! Good times on a farewell trip.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 630,167 times
Deelighted Interesting to hear about your town doing a "Trunk or Treat". We have some churches around the area doing this option. But I have not yet heard of this being a town-wide such event. Where we live, we do old-fashioned neighborhood trick-or-treating. We live in a cul-de-sac and sometimes just hand out candy and visit with the neighbors at the same time.

It absolutely amazes me how much more commercialized Halloween has become over the last 20 or so years. It is used to be a pretty simple event when we were younger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement