U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 11:08 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times

Advertisements

Well in Chandler, I hid in the back bedroom, turned off all the lights and kept the dogs from barking on Halloween. Just gave up the candy thing long ago. Now I don't have to worry. This is a 55+ community and it's gated. There should not be anyone ringing the doorbell hopefully ! LOL

Old 10-28-2017, 03:11 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
I stopped doing the trick or treat thing a long time ago. I've always thought that would be a perfect night for a criminal to do their thing. Around here if you have your outdoor light off it means you are not participating. Many families take their kids to community centers anyway. I usually plan to be away that night - good night to go to dinner with friends.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
We get few to no kids calling here on Halloween, ever since the nearby malls started offering trick-or-treating. Which is OK with me. I go to the store early the day after and score half-priced chocolate. :-D

Old 10-29-2017, 10:27 PM

461 posts, read 293,240 times
People here live so scattered that many never get kids at their homes, so one of the churches holds a community indoor trick or treat in their big hall. Adults set up at tables around the room, and the kids go from one table to the next. Some adults dress up and/or decorate their tables big time. Were all warm and dry and its a lot of fun. When my nephews were small, they preferred salty snacks to sweet, so in their honor I buy a variety of multipacks of things like chips, instead of candy.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:31 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Nice cool walk this Monday morning, filled a Walmart bag with TRASH from the weekend idiots on my trail. Winter Weather Advisory for tonight for the high country (not here darn) for 10-14" of snow.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
jim9251 -- Glad you had a good walk. What a wonderful way to start out your day! Thank you for being a good steward of our environment. It seems like I remember public service commercials aimed at younger people- "Don't be a Litterbug!" around the time we were growing up. Of course, I do believe this should be taught in the home - but apparently it is not happening. Or at least in some homes.

Enjoy the cool crisp weather!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
The small house I had in the 90s was in a starter neighborhood, lots of kids had grown up there. Weren't that many left when I was there but those kids brought their kids back to the old neighborhood, LOTS of trick or treaters - I loved it. I love Halloween but don't party now so I just really enjoyed the kids coming round. Havent lived anywhere that has them since.

MMOB, glad you are getting care in a big city where you can hopefully be assured of getting all the best and the latest in treatments. Hope all goes well there. Jewish Deli sounds wonderful. I have been craving a good braunschweiger.

Jim, boy doesn't that just make you mad when people trash nature? Especially since people like to talk about all hunters like they are the high holy of conservationists respecting the land or something. Anyone who has been out there knows better.

SW Ohio had the most lovely incredibly long warm indian summer. Just got sort of wet, cloudy, cold a few of days ago. Really the weather here is pretty nice for 4 seasoners. There is def a winter but it is shorter and sunnier. Its almost KY here after all. Still, 5 days of cloudy weather and I feel like some vampire is sucking me dry and I want to pound chicken soup and sleep all day. Cold and snow are one thing I can cope with even if I don't enjoy skating around on ice or shoveling. Lack of sun just does me in.

Heading to New Mexico for a week on 8 Nov. Not much of an itinerary yet. The last couple of days will be bird watching south of ABQ. I want to stroll around Sante Fe a little. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm going alone. Uh, yea? I guess that makes me strange or something.

My one year retirement was yesterday. I have totally p***** away a year doing nothing. I love it but its not good for me either. I'm supposed to have bought a house in northern MI by now but the market went crazy last winter. Typical for my luck. Almost know inventory and prices have shot up so many previous type properties are now out of my reach.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:36 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Giesela: What kind of birds are south of ABQ? Just wonderin'.. Are you driving or flying? Some people think no one should travel alone anymore. How are you supposed to see anything if you don't get up and do it? Hope the trip is a good one !

Old 10-30-2017, 02:38 PM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
There is a Natl Wildlife refuge an hour S of ABQ called Bosque del Apache. It is on the Rio Grande and is a huge wintering area for both Sandhill cranes and Snow Geese. 10s of thousands of birds sometimes. Can be quite the spectacle if conditions are right. There are also eagles and other birds.

I would love nothing more than to be spending my time full or part time RV' ing but am unfortunately tied down with some abandoned cats that have nowhere else to go. So short answer is flying

Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Everyone was shocked when I drove here by myself. I thought that was strange. They would think nothing of a man doing it hut a mature woman driving that far, 1700+ miles, seemed to worry them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement