U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Ani, read the book Wheat Belly (not a great title, but the book is great). You will find out why modern wheat has such a terrible effect on our health. Me, I refuse to give up scones and the like. I make delicious treats out of almond meal, brown rice flour, and other natural ingredients. In fact, I'm eating one of my yummy muffins right now. Also, beware of the "carbohydrate" misunderstanding. There are bad carbs (white rice, potato, white flour products, etc) and good carbs (whole grains besides wheat). The good carbs, in moderation, are not the enemy.That said, a lot of Whole Foods-goers are overweight because we assume that the pastries and breads sold there are good for you. Not so!
I have heard of this book and never read it. I do think my system has a problem metabolizing wheat. I agree that there are "good and bad" carbs and sadly, the "bad" ones are the ones I gravitate to!

I love love love bread. I would rather eat bread and cheese than anything else on the planet. I have been this way since I was a kid. I fix cuban sandwiches, panini, muffalatta sandwiches, subs, wraps of some sort, every day for lunch. Heck, I would rather have a grilled cheese sandwich than a steak! I know it is too much bread but I love it! I can substitute wraps . . . that helps . . . but it doesn't fulfill my craving for bread. I even make "sandwiches" using lettuce as a wrap. I maintained my weight for years as long as I stayed away from bread but it made me very sad.

Maybe the book will have some solutions that I can live with. I will get a copy and read and learn!

Thank you for the suggestions, NEG!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM

TUBORG: just DL'd the App - it was free! YAY!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Ani, read the book Wheat Belly (not a great title, but the book is great). You will find out why modern wheat has such a terrible effect on our health. Me, I refuse to give up scones and the like. I make delicious treats out of almond meal, brown rice flour, cooked quinoa, and other natural ingredients. In fact, I'm eating one of my yummy muffins right now. Also, beware of the "carbohydrate" misunderstanding. There are bad carbs (white rice, potato, white flour products, etc) and good carbs (whole grains besides wheat). The good carbs, in moderation, are not the enemy.That said, a lot of Whole Foods-goers are overweight because we assume that the pastries and breads sold there are good for you. Not so!

ETA #1: Dr Oz is on the no-carb bandwagon and making his fame with that. There are many other M.D.s and cardiologists who endorse a healthy balanced diet with whole grains.

ETA #2: Yes, it is a struggle, with so much conflicting info and the "media doctors"!
Folks might want to take your suggestion and in addition explore the relationship between Gluten and their tolerance of. It does not need to be a severe reaction it can be detected by simply avoiding Gluten for 3-5 days or less.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard of this book and never read it. I do think my system has a problem metabolizing wheat. I agree that there are "good and bad" carbs and sadly, the "bad" ones are the ones I gravitate to!

I love love love bread. I would rather eat bread and cheese than anything else on the planet. I have been this way since I was a kid. I fix cuban sandwiches, panini, muffalatta sandwiches, subs, wraps of some sort, every day for lunch. Heck, I would rather have a grilled cheese sandwich than a steak! I know it is too much bread but I love it! I can substitute wraps . . . that helps . . . but it doesn't fulfill my craving for bread. I even make "sandwiches" using lettuce as a wrap. I maintained my weight for years as long as I stayed away from bread but it made me very sad.

Maybe the book will have some solutions that I can live with. I will get a copy and read and learn!

Thank you for the suggestions, NEG!!!
That can easily be Gluten. Do some research and you may be surprised how it describes you. Gluten allergies can create cravings for. You may be surprised once discovered hoe easy it is to give up and find alternatives you might love.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That can easily be Gluten. Do some research and you may be surprised how it describes you. Gluten allergies can create cravings for. You may be surprised once discovered hoe easy it is to give up and find alternatives you might love.
I agree! Reading more . . . and found this . . . so so interesting . . . and yes, it describes ME!

Fat Head Dr. William “Wheat Belly” Davis on CBS

Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM

A question for those of you who are far ahead of me on this subject . . . how does rice fit into all this? I love jasmine rice, but haven't eaten it much over the last 20 or so years, b/c hubby is not fond of rice. I miss it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
A question for those of you who are far ahead of me on this subject . . . how does rice fit into all this? I love jasmine rice, but haven't eaten it much over the last 20 or so years, b/c hubby is not fond of rice. I miss it.
Laughing my head off at your question. You beat me to my next suggestion which is Jasmine rice and Nathan frozen French fries baked. Before you laugh about the Nathan's enter them in the app and see how benign they are. One serving is nine fries and potatoes are a recommended substitute and Nathan's frozen fries are awesome and are nutrition and calorie friendly baked. You can spray a little olive oil on them.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Uncle Ben's 90 second in the bag micro waved with retried beans, green chilies and low sodium salsa. Does wonders as a bread substitute. Popcorn does also. Smart Pop 100 calorie bag. Great thing with the app is when you want to gain weight you up the calories in a controlled informed manner and if you're losing weight and want to splurge just fill in the food and up the exercise appropriately.

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-21-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM

I will add that while /between posting I have had been dancing, having breakfast, morning beverages and reading Flipboard while listening to Sirius on the porch or deck in my pajamas. Priceless!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Laughing my head off at your question. You beat me to my next suggestion which is Jasmine rice and Nathan frozen French fries baked. Before you laugh about the Nathan's enter them in the app and see how benign they are. One serving is nine fries and potatoes are a recommended substitute and Nathan's frozen fries are awesome and are nutrition and calorie friendly baked. You can spray a little olive oil on them.
Loving it! Maybe we have been posting together long enuff to have a sense of what the other is going to be thinking about! It can happen!

Thank you, Tuborg. I am going to have fun with this App.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement