U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

24 degrees this morning heavy frost, nice quiet walk with the dogs nothing moving. I saw on some web cams it snowed in the small mountain town I moved to this dump from, and the snow line is just 10 miles south of me...sigh.

Supposed to be sunny and 42 today, think I'll go fishing.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:28 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Yesterday I let the grandkids go look at a cat in our yard by the trees. They love animals. There is a house on a nearby street that feeds a feral colony, so we see cats in our wooded lot next door. The kids know not to touch them and the cats always run off when they get too close. As they got closer this time, they could see it was larger, had tufts of hair along its face and ears and a stubby tail. It wasn't the usual cat, but a bobcat! I couldn't make out all the details where I was with our dog. I thought maybe it was a Maine Coon because it was bigger.

It ran off as they got closer (thank goodness) and did not run like a cat, it did more of a gallop: bringing front and back legs together. People have posted pics of ones on the NextDoor app here before. Now that I've seen one, I'll know what to look for the next time. I hope we see it again.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-08-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 01:03 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Yesterday I let the grandkids go look at a cat in our yard by the trees. They love animals. There is a house on a nearby street that feeds a feral colony, so we see cats in our wooded lot next door. The kids know not to touch them and the cats always run off when they get too close. As they got closer this time, they could see it was larger, had tufts of hair along its face and ears and a stubby tail. It wasn't the usual cat, but a bobcat! I couldn't make out all the details where I was with our dog. I thought maybe it was a Maine Coon because it was bigger.

It ran off as they got closer (thank goodness) and did not run like a cat, it did more of a gallop: bringing front and back legs together. People have posted pics of ones on the NextDoor app here before. Now that I've seen one, I'll know what to look for the next time. I hope we see it again.

How exciting, Jean! for you and the children

Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM

Went to Walmart to get ONE THING, even had a list with that ONE THING written on it. A 30 minutes drive to get there, surviving the unwashed masses, and I leave spending $100 and when I get home, you guessed it, I forgot to get that ONE THING I went there for in the first place. Grrrrrrr.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,184,193 times
I really appreciate the great support, prayers and well wishes for my daughter from many people here.

My previous report was a bit premature regarding chemo side effects. We were quite worried about some symptoms that she developed late in the first week such as sudden loss of far vision, severe bone/joint pain, chemo-induced hot flashes and headaches. Luckily the first two symptoms had subsided. The oncologist nurse recommended acupuncture for the last two issues. She saw the acupuncturist today and found immediate relief for the headache. I was very surprised to learn that hot flashes can be managed with acupuncture. It will be of great help for my daughter to prevent or manage this side effect since it is likely to continue for a long time.

The great news is that the tumor had shrunk considerably by the 8th day. My daughter discovered the pea-size lump 2 months ago while brushing her long hair. Yesterday, she had to try really hard to locate it and could only felt something by pressing down her fingertips.

We have booked a return flight to NY in the middle of December after the 3rd chemo sessions. I booked with Southwest airline to make sure that we could cancel or reschedule without change fee. There is still a lot of uncertainties. Some people at the cancer board reported feeling much worse with each chemo session.

In addition, I am crossing my fingers that my husband's sciatica would improve in the next 5-6 weeks so that he could travel. Sometimes, I feel so helpless in not being able to help my daughter and husband with their pain and discomfort. The best that I have been able to do is to research the web looking for remedies, learning from the experience of other patients. Last night, I came across an article citing a pain management study showing that the use of ibuprofen and Tylenol is as effective as ibuprofen and hydrocodone. I suggested my husband to take extra strength Tylenol instead of hydrocodone. We were glad that it helped. It would be a great relieve not having continue searching for more effective laxative while he is taking hydrocodone.

I am the kind of person who always looks for the silver lining. It's great to be with my daughter and to experience living in Boise for an extended period to decide whether we should relocate to the West. The experience also make me realize how lucky we are to have loving and supportive families and friends. The caring responses that I have received from many people reaffirm my belief in the fundamental altruism in all of us.

Thank you all.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
BellaDL, Thank you for Posting the update; with your positive attitude, doing what you can, your daughter and son-in-law are bless ! Mentioned in a Post, the folks I have encountered on City-Data do respond. Like some folks in uncomfortable situations, one does not know what to say of which I am one ! So, please accept my concern, prayers and again thank you.

jim9251, even in yr trying times, you make me laugh ! Went to Wal-Mart myself yesterday, wondered why the total was more than expected---purchased a higher price birdseed ! Oh well, it's also Thanksgiving ! The birds deserve a treat, it's a joy to watch them---jays, ravens, doves, small wrens come to the yard. Mallards come about 4 pm, purchase cracked corn for them.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I, too, went to Walmart & spent $90+. Sigh. But, since I really missed the things I we out of did stock up. But it's only 9+ miles for me so much easier to derive to & from.

I wish there was someway for you to get back to the place you love, Jim.

Bella, I have no first hand knowledge of what your daughter is going through but glad you can be with her. As for your hubby, I've been dealing with pain since the car accident & yes, ibuprofen does help. We do what we have to but your plate is sure full. Make sure you take time to take care of yourself also.

It may sound like a simple thing but I've found that aramotherapy helps me a lot.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
BellaDL: Glad to hear some hope in your post. Many here have written wonderful notes to you, my mind seems to have gone blank past day or two..... I pray for the best and happier days ahead. Please keep us informed.

Jim9251: I can't tell you how many times I have done that. Gone to the grocery store, bought everything I needed/wanted, cashed out and walking to the parking lot had that dreaded... oh no, I forgot......

Only I don't have the drive you have. Mine is under 5 miles one way.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542;50084475[B
Jim9251[/b]: I can't tell you how many times I have done that. Gone to the grocery store, bought everything I needed/wanted, cashed out and walking to the parking lot had that dreaded... oh no, I forgot......

Only I don't have the drive you have. Mine is under 5 miles one way.
When I lived in my small mountain town I walked to the local market, a 5 minute walk. Now I have to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere. UGH. Don't just "run to get a pizza" it's like a half day quest.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Wow. We have a high-profile crime case here in the Phoenix area this week. A 94-year old woman was kidnapped and locked in her own car trunk for 7 hours. She was able to escape and Scottsdale, AZ police are trying very hard to catch this guy and get him off the streets. Thankfully, the lady should recover, they say. But I am saying prayers for her -- that is a terrible ordeal for anymore to endure, especially someone age 94, and she is still in the hospital.

Jim -- Your Walmart trip sounds like something I would do. But it's worse for you -- 30 miles one way is a long ways. We are right in suburbia -- its walkable here to some stores -- but 2 Walmarts are about 2 miles away -- in 2 different directions, and a 3rd is 4 miles away. And a WNM [Walmart Neighborhood Mkt/Pharmacy] less than a mile.

Bella -- Thanks for the update on your daughter. I am glad to hear the acupuncture is helping. I don't know if it is legal there or not, but I know many cancer patients also use medical marijuana.

Meo -- I have a cousin who is a 4x cancer survivor and she raves about the benefits of aromatherapy -- great idea!

NYgal and Sera -- Thanks for all the positive encouragement you offer to everyone here!

Jean -- Thanks for sharing the bobcat story --- what a thrill for your grandchildren to see it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement