U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
This morning I heard on TV that a well-known Yankee pitcher is going to be at the mall. He will autograph anything you bring (related to him and the Yankees). Nice idea? At first I thought it was nice.

Until I heard what the price of "admission" is....... $299.

Disappointed, disgusted, fed-up with money hungry creeps in the world.
He has a product to sell that can and often will be resold for value. Why shouldn't he make a profit from his effort when others will? Probably the folks staging the event will get their share also. Heck if I could get folks to pay for my signature I would charge also. Wouldn't you? I mean we sold our skills and labor while working why not sell our market value now if someone is willing to pay?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
He has a product to sell that can and often will be resold for value. Why shouldn't he make a profit from his effort when others will? Probably the folks staging the event will get their share also. Heck if I could get folks to pay for my signature I would charge also. Wouldn't you? I mean we sold our skills and labor while working why not sell our market value now if someone is willing to pay?
I understand both your and NYgal1542's perspective on this. An athlete has a relatively short career and it's best to take advantage of whatever they can, money-wise. The time of athletes being role models and heroes has gone by and today they have been reduced to the commodity they are in today's' world

You see things as they exist today, while NYgal1542 is remembering the role of athletes in days gone by. As for selling our signatures if we could, to be a giver or taker is a choice.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-13-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SO this skeleton walks into a bar and orders a beer and a mop.
Jim: So sorry. I didn't get it. My bad. Explain please to this dummy.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
It's a skeleton. When it drinks the beer, it's just going to end up on the floor. Hence the need for a mop.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
DH learned today he received the award of the year out of his national team of twelve. He's 2 years and three months from retiring at his FRA of 66 and achieved the metrics for the award competing with some co-workers 20-30 years younger. He isn't coasting or just getting by these last few years.

We'd celebrate, but it will have to wait until the weekend. He's flying to be in position to visit four cities in four days, so he's moving on to winning next year's award. He's one of those fortunate people who enjoys their work and handles stress well. I'm proud of him, but have been known to ask "do you really need to look at emails or take that call right now"? He manages to tread that fine line between work and family most days.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:38 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Thx MMoB !!! I think it is funny !

Old 11-13-2017, 02:10 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Don't feel bad. I didn't get it either.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:51 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In answer to the question above...I can only hope I would NOT.

There was a time (most likely before your time) when athletes were happy to sign their autographs for FREE.... imagine that!! The athletes of yesteryear were thrilled to have fans that wanted their autograph.

You and I don't belong in the same time period, I guess.

Some people sell their souls...... would you??

Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I understand both your and NYgal1542's perspective on this. An athlete has a relatively short career and it's best to take advantage of whatever they can, money-wise. The time of athletes being role models and heroes has gone by and today they have been reduced to the commodity they are in today's' world

You see things as they exist today, while NYgal1542 is remembering the role of athletes in days gone by. As for selling our signatures if we could, to be a giver or taker is a choice.
Just wondering... do you know how much money these people make?? Bunches of it. Lots more than I would make in my career.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:

It's a skeleton - no stomach or substance of any kind. Where would that beer go but on the floor.

edit: MMOB - Just read your response.

Last edited by Umbria; 11-13-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement