U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,228 times

Advertisements

I am not a Ski person.....however for those who are interested:
Lost Trail Powder Mountain Ski area (40 minutes from my location) is open and running about 3 runs and lifts as of tomorrow morning!!!!!
46 inches of snow and continuing to snow at present. Elevation at the bottom (lodge) of the runs is 7000'.

This is the earliest they have opened in several years.......If this is any indication of the type of winter we will be having this season, I am so glad I got a new set of Winter Snow tires just last week for the 4x4 Yukon !
And this afternoon, my daughter helped me replace the tarp that is positioned across the top 50%of the dog run.
This gives him an area of 10x10 including the dog house that is protected from the snow fall, and the other 10x10 half of the dog run is not covered, but has three large pine trees that do protect it to a limited degree.
I must admit that he gets to sleep at night in the utility room..........i'm a real softie..........after all, he and I are the same age!!!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Some times I should just not look at the news. I get really upset over some of it and I know there is not one darned thing I can do about it. Yes, I can vote but just because I can doesn't mean it will change anything.
About fifteen, maybe twenty years ago, I gave up watching commercial television and reading newspapers. I discovered that news goes in cycles. Over a period of time, the stories are the same, just the names and places change. Since I gave up TV and newspapers, my life has been a lot more peaceful and serene. If something really important is going on, it filters down to me somehow, so I'm not totally clueless.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,678,707 times
19 degrees this morning crystal clear. It snowed all around me last night just rain here which is now frozen mud. High today forecast to be around 40.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:47 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
About fifteen, maybe twenty years ago, I gave up watching commercial television and reading newspapers. I discovered that news goes in cycles. Over a period of time, the stories are the same, just the names and places change. Since I gave up TV and newspapers, my life has been a lot more peaceful and serene. If something really important is going on, it filters down to me somehow, so I'm not totally clueless.
Very good advice. My parents had the news on all the time with the advent of 24 hour news channels. My Dad was fine with it, but I watched my Mom become more fearful with the overload of info. It becomes so easy to see the world as all bad with a steady stream of that. The five minute bits of happy news doesn't cut it for many.

I've rationed my intake of news and I'm better for it. I did myself a disservice with hurricane Irma this summer. I watched when she rolled off the coast of Africa as a wave and tracked her as a hurricane into the Caribbean for two weeks before she even got to me. I was stressed out and worn out by the time she affected me. I will not do that again.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-18-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM

We went to the farmer's market this morning and shared a paella and fresh lemonade with grated ginger and mint. There is a plant vendor there and I got a vanilla bean vine orchid. It will take a few years and hand pollinating to get beans. I was so excited to see that. I had to buy pure vanilla this week and had major sticker shock. Bad crops and a hurricane the last two years have affected the price.

Last week when we took my MIL to the farmer's market I got a milkweed plant. When I planted it earlier this week, I found a small monarch butterfly larva on it. I checked it today and the larva was huge. He's quite happy eating the leaves. While I was taking a picture of him, a monarch butterfly was trying to land on the milkweed and brushed my arm. I got a picture of her too.

I love being outside and gardening.

Chat Thread-img_7162.jpg

Old 11-18-2017, 01:10 PM

3,504 posts, read 4,060,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thank you for your reply to and quote of NYGal's post. As of several months ago I, too, have stopped watching all TV except for 1 hr. when I am home for Judge Judy, and have given up all news sources. I get online daily for email, CD and other sites, so the news pages are always there. I don't miss anything I should know about. I also get caught up from the "Celebrities" thread on CD. I peruse the titles and click on the ones I am interested in.

I gave up cable years ago, now have an antenna. I pet sit for a client who has cable, nothing has changed, tons of channels, very few I watch (can count on one hand). And then, there always is a "marathon" of a show that I am not interested in (on the weekends). FoodNetwork is one I am talking about. Last weekend I found NOTHING to watch from those hundreds (thousands?) of channels. SMH

Old 11-18-2017, 01:19 PM

4,881 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We went to the farmer's market this morning and shared a paella and fresh lemonade with grated ginger and mint. There is a plant vendor there and I got a vanilla bean vine orchid. It will take a few years and hand pollinating to get beans. I was so excited to see that. I had to buy pure vanilla this week and had major sticker shock. Bad crops and a hurricane the last two years have affected the price.

Last week when we took my MIL to the farmer's market I got a milkweed plant. When I planted it earlier this week, I found a small monarch butterfly larva on it. I checked it today and the larva was huge. He's quite happy eating the leaves. While I was taking a picture of him, a monarch butterfly was trying to land on the milkweed and brushed my arm. I got a picture of her too.

I love being outside and gardening.

Attachment 192595

I want to thank you for this beautiful picture. As soon as I saw it I thought...... oh I want that!! No, not the actual plant, but the opportunity to have one like it.

We are going into winter now, temperatures dropping, we have promise of rain and snow over the next few days. I'm finding myself feeling really depressed. And of course the holidays are coming up. I've read a lot of posts here re people being alone and I am also going to be alone for them (not a new thing).

I'm looking forward to spring. About 4-1/2 months from now.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 PM

4,881 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I am seeing the truth in not watching the news on TV. And I need to quit Facebook. I am only on that because a few years ago my nephew said I needed to stay on it to keep up with family stuff. Well that's a joke. I never see anything from family on it and he stopped talking to me a year ago. I need to face facts.

I don't understand why the people on FB keep running posts about our government, president, etc., etc. It's like each time they post something, it's the first time they've heard it. I've tried posting things like there are things we have no control over; repeating the same thing twice expecting different results is a form of insanity. The only one who is getting upset is me!!

I know I am responsible for my own happiness in this life. I have to start thinking along those lines. What would make me happy? Hoping to discover that soon.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I want to thank you for this beautiful picture. As soon as I saw it I thought...... oh I want that!! No, not the actual plant, but the opportunity to have one like it.

We are going into winter now, temperatures dropping, we have promise of rain and snow over the next few days. I'm finding myself feeling really depressed. And of course the holidays are coming up. I've read a lot of posts here re people being alone and I am also going to be alone for them (not a new thing).

I'm looking forward to spring. About 4-1/2 months from now.
I'm glad you liked the pic. I've been coming outside more in the past few weeks as the intense heat went away. It's nice to be gardening without having to come inside for a shower afterward. Seriously.

Winter was a tough time in NY for me too. The time change and shorter days are not fun. Christmas has always been the bright spot in a dark winter, even here. I love family and gatherings, but Christmas is all about the lights brightening up the darkness for me.

I wish you were closer. I invited our new neighbor's cousin and husband here for Thanksgiving. The neighbor is heading out West to see family for Thanksgiving and the cousins just got down here this weekend for a few months to stay with her and help with some remodeling. They don't know anyone and I'm cooking for the kids, so the more the merrier. And less leftovers.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,304,785 times
As for the news, I look on reuters.com for a few minutes and that's it. Sometimes I look on CD in Politics&Other Controversies because I do have definite ideas about things but when I go into that forum and start reading, I can immediately register an angry or upset feeling which I don't like and definitely don't need.

Cold and dark here too. Going to try to figure out a way of getting somewhere south for a little while this winter as this is just too hard to take and gets sooooo depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement