U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 02:36 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

[quote=jean_ji;50166774]I'm glad you liked the pic. I've been coming outside more in the past few weeks as the intense heat went away. It's nice to be gardening without having to come inside for a shower afterward. Seriously.

Winter was a tough time in NY for me too. The time change and shorter days are not fun. Christmas has always been the bright spot in a dark winter, even here. I love family and gatherings, but Christmas is all about the lights brightening up the darkness for me.

I wish you were closer. I invited our new neighbor's cousin and husband here for Thanksgiving. The neighbor is heading out West to see family for Thanksgiving and the cousins just got down here this weekend for a few months to stay with her and help with some remodeling. They don't know anyone and I'm cooking for the kids, so the more the merrier. And less leftovers.

Gosh, I wish I was closer, too, thank you for thinking such a lovely thought!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for the news, I look on reuters.com for a few minutes and that's it. Sometimes I look on CD in Politics&Other Controversies because I do have definite ideas about things but when I go into that forum and start reading, I can immediately register an angry or upset feeling which I don't like and definitely don't need.

Cold and dark here too. Going to try to figure out a way of getting somewhere south for a little while this winter as this is just too hard to take and gets sooooo depressing.

I will have to take a look at reuters.com. But today's headlines are so disheartening. I often wonder what our forefathers would think of Washington, DC today.

I hope you are able to go south for a break from this miserable time of year. I'm finding myself feeling much less restrained now that I did the bankruptcy. What a relief. And I'm also realizing with the new found freedom I might drive to some areas just to check them out. For a while I had closed my mind to any change since I knew I could not manage it. I think it's important to have something to look forward to.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
SO there's a new restaurant in a town near me and my big sister and I decided to try it out for lunch. Music was over the top LOUD and ranged from country to Scottish folk to gangsta rap. A hamburger was $10, coffee $3 a coke $2 (no refills). Cheese on your hamburger $1 extra. Ok I'm used to high prices here, so paying $10 for a hamburger isn't that unusual.

Anyway, they have some kind of in house sauce, which is heavily garlic based, I mean vampire killing garlic taste that lasted with me the rest of the day. And undercooked waffle fries with garlic salt. I think this place, in a rural cattle ranching small town, is trying to be "edgy". Edgy? People just want to sit down to a reasonably priced good meal around here.

There's an old saying here, if it lasts through winter it might survive. Anyway, I won't be back.

15 degrees and bright sunshine and heavy frost this morning. On my sunrise walk the dogs chased a herd of Elk, until one turned around and bugled at them, which caused them to run back to me. That was funny.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Ho Ho Ho !!! I am putting up the Christmas Tree ! It will fit afterall so I don't have to give it to Good Will !

Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Was in charge of dinner tonight. BBQ pulled pork, coleslaw and cornbread.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Winter wonderland outside my window this morning. Trees are covered and they make a pretty picture. Not sure how many inches on the ground but my car is covered and I'll have to clean it off before heading out to the store today. Of course north of here is getting much more and some schools are either closed or delayed 2 hours.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
I'm off to the grocery store in a few minutes. It's all about strategic planning, I've got a menu and a timeline, now I just need the ingredients.

The grandkids went to a fishing clinic put on by the county on Saturday. They were given free fishing poles and a little tackle box filled with all the usuals and went through 5 stations learning to tie knots, practice casting, etc along with learning good fishing practices. They had fun and even more so since they caught fish. A cold front was driving the fish into shore, so it was a good time to learn to fish.

Their parents took them to the Intercoastal nearby yesterday and they caught more snapper and pin fish, all thrown back. They are loving it!

Chat Thread-img_7173.jpg

Old 11-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

15 degrees and bright sunshine and heavy frost this morning. On my sunrise walk the dogs chased a herd of Elk, until one turned around and bugled at them, which caused them to run back to me. That was funny.
........FWIW....information.........
The following is a direct quote from the Colorado Fish and Game Dept., that appeared in the Pagosa Springs Newspaper:..........

"....If a Wildlife Officier or Other Law enforcement Officier sees a dog chasing Elk or Deer anywhere in Colorado, that dog can be shot on sight!!!"

Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........FWIW....information.........
The following is a direct quote from the Colorado Fish and Game Dept., that appeared in the Pagosa Springs Newspaper:..........

"....If a Wildlife Officier or Other Law enforcement Officier sees a dog chasing Elk or Deer anywhere in Colorado, that dog can be shot on sight!!!"
Oh did I say elk? Darn auto spell correct thing, I meant to say balloons.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Heck, there is a law here if a cop comes to your house or yard and your dog makes any kind of move, the cop can shoot it. Doesn't have to be a threatening kind of move. ANY kind of move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement