U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I will add that while /between posting I have had been dancing, having breakfast, morning beverages and reading Flipboard while listening to Sirius on the porch or deck in my pajamas. Priceless!
Oh, my, I still have on my PJs, too.

I got out of my routine a bit this morning! Hey, it's Friday!

The shower can wait a bit . . . enjoying my coffee (without sugar, which is a challenge) and waiting on a client to give me some info for a survey. Don't tell anyone: I actually like doing statistical studies, lol.

Meanwhile, playing with my new "toy" (App) and grinning from ear to ear b/c I bought some jasmin rice two weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM

30,034 posts, read 35,217,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, my, I still have on my PJs, too.

I got out of my routine a bit this morning! Hey, it's Friday!

The shower can wait a bit . . . enjoying my coffee (without sugar, which is a challenge) and waiting on a client to give me some info for a survey. Don't tell anyone: I actually like doing statistical studies, lol.

Meanwhile, playing with my new "toy" (App) and grinning from ear to ear b/c I bought some jasmin rice two weeks ago.
Aghhhh like me you are data driven which makes the app so very awesome. It will consume you and DIRECT you down the path you want. Is there avRuby Tuesday close by?.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Aghhhh like me you are data driven which makes the app so very awesome. It will consume you and DIRECT you down the path you want. Is there avRuby Tuesday close by?.
Yes, there is a Ruby Tuesday nearby here in Charlotte and also one in Boone which is nearby (when I am up there). Do they have items on the menu that I should be checking out?

And yes, data turns me on, as do electronic toys and Apps. :-)

Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Salad Bar earlier than later and o crazy and make it your last meal of the day giving it time to digest which it will. About to go there shortly out shopping now.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Salad Bar earlier than later and o crazy and make it your last meal of the day giving it time to digest which it will. About to go there shortly out shopping now.
Great idea! I will check out their salad bar.

I was surprised how many calories I consumed for lunch (but I did skip bread). I knew Havarti cheese was very high cal but I was surprised how much sodium is in a slice!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Great idea! I will check out their salad bar.

I was surprised how many calories I consumed for lunch (but I did skip bread). I knew Havarti cheese was very high cal but I was surprised how much sodium is in a slice!
Cheese is a data negative, calories and sodium. It retains previous foods and you wll see a pattern in your eying of sall items negative data. Soon you will know what to eat to balance things out. Soon you will see data and not food.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
I have heard of this book and never read it. I do think my system has a problem metabolizing wheat. I agree that there are "good and bad" carbs and sadly, the "bad" ones are the ones I gravitate to!

I love love love bread. I would rather eat bread and cheese than anything else on the planet. I have been this way since I was a kid. I fix cuban sandwiches, panini, muffalatta sandwiches, subs, wraps of some sort, every day for lunch. Heck, I would rather have a grilled cheese sandwich than a steak! I know it is too much bread but I love it! I can substitute wraps . . . that helps . . . but it doesn't fulfill my craving for bread. I even make "sandwiches" using lettuce as a wrap. I maintained my weight for years as long as I stayed away from bread but it made me very sad.

Maybe the book will have some solutions that I can live with. I will get a copy and read and learn!

Thank you for the suggestions, NEG!!!
Growing up in an Italian (more or less) household, we always had breads of all kinds, and pastas. Problem was, it was all white "Italian" breads and white flour pastas. Actually, in Italy we found that the portions of spaghetti and pasta are very small, not like our oversize portions here (don't go to OG!). So portion size is an important clue right there.

I never had pizza as a kid, as our family was from the Northern area near Milan. Ironically, my great grandfather was a bread baker in Tuscany. To me, in Italy the breads and pizza dough taste terrible, don't know why. That experience sort of cured me of my love affair with breads. Now when I contemplate buying bread I imagine me with huge hips and belly (which is where all the bread goes, lol). That's all I need to say no thanks.

I could live on (every day) my very filling and satisfying polenta, easy to make, beautiful to look at (bright yellow) and delicious for breakfast heated up in some oil and rosemary and topped with thin slices of prosciutto. Think of bread as dense and dry and empty of micronutrients, and imagine wearing it on your hips like I once did, and you will be cured!

(I also hear from a friend who lived in Italy that Italian women never sit down, not even to read. They are moving all the time, and walking everywhere, which is why many stay so slim despite the pasta.)

Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Polenta especially if homemade is good. Store bought can be heavy in sodium and varies by manufacturer. Polenta in the with Mexican/Hispanic foods can throw your sodium count off if that is important.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,121,826 times
So what does your app think of yogurt and fruit? For the last six months or so we've been eating a big meal for lunch, and then yogurt and fruit for dinner. Granted, it's a fairly large bowl. I'm a little surprised we haven't lost any weight doing this, considering we used to eat lots of things like hamburgers and pasta dishes for dinner. But maybe yogurt and fruit isn't as low calorie as we might think.

ps. I'm glad we're discussing this here. Ani, I tried the weight loss forum once and nastiness there it turned my stomach. I went into that forum because I was doing well on a weight loss program but wanted to find some support. There was one guy there who seemed determined to undermine me and almost did. Thank god my best friend found out what was happening and told me to never go into that forum again. In fact I didn't even look at city-data at all for about 6 weeks. As it turns out I was successful in losing the weight, and have since kept it off, but if I had gone into that forum one more time all my hard work would have been completely sabotaged. There are some forums where it's ok to be nasty to each other, I guess, but others where it really is not.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 PM

The App- My Fitness Pal is available I a desk top version and they all interact together. Enter on Pad and it show up in phone and desktop. You always have it with you.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

So Caladium you can look up what ever you want. As far as your question about fruit and yogurt there is no good or bad about it. It can be very good it can be a bit of a problem. It depends on how it fits in with all of your other food and exercise. The app tells you how it all fits in. The one area I can not get a handle on is sugar. I am not diabetic but it does run in the family so I try to pay attention to. The source of my daily overage for sugar is fruit. So yes I am over but it is from fructose. So it is all part of a bigger picture. Am I concerned not really. I am usually at or below my daily calorie goals and virtually always under my weekly goals. A bad Monday can be balanced by another day or two. Try it and see if you like it. Remember to enter all sauces, dips etc as those can be the hidden data crunchers. I know I am redundant in saying data but it is for me and many other users a data driven approach that we swear by up, down, maintain, nutrition exercise etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement