U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times

Advertisements

BJW, Did you wash done the vittles with Sweet tea; next time I'll bring a sweet potato pie !

Olympic Mtns looking awesome with snow on 'em; some woman said we'll have a bad winter, the ravens, crows are actin' weird !

Daughter-in-law, her mom and 13 grandchild went to a 2 story, craft, sewing and quilt show on Saturday; chatted with a woman silversmith from Iowa who did awesome rings with a wee jewel on the tip of 'em, sorta like a thimble. She also crafted Beautiful chatelaines, she was wearing one around her neck. She explained how the Victorian housekeepers also wore them in their pockets. She apprenticed from an 83 year woman. So fun to learn about different crafts !

Oh! The show was held in the Puyallup faire buildings, a restaurant we walked from there served down home food ! Trout could be ordered for dinner or---breakfast ! Must be hungry again ! LOL

Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Heck, there is a law here if a cop comes to your house or yard and your dog makes any kind of move, the cop can shoot it. Doesn't have to be a threatening kind of move. ANY kind of move.
I used to carry Milk Bones with me. Any dog after given a Milk Bone is your friend. Pepper spray works too. In 35 years I shot two dogs, both were rabid and one charged me, had no choice. I still feel bad about that.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:02 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
[quote=jim9251;50190563]I used to carry Milk Bones with me. Any dog after given a Milk Bone is your friend. Pepper spray works too. In 35 years I shot two dogs, both were rabid and one charged me, had no choice. I still feel bad about that .

I understand how that pain can carry over for years. I just don't understand how they could shoot a dog who was obviously non-threatening.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Glad to hear people are busy with Thanksgiving plans! We will be having a quiet one here - driving across the valley to a married daughter's home.

Jim Sorry to see that memo about shooting the dogs chasing an elk; hate to see anything like that, only if absolutely necessary. Great idea to have the Milk Bones! I was glad to see on today's news that they have arrested the man who killed the Pennsylvania Officer. So sad for the Officer's family, colleagues, and community that this crime was committed.

Do you all the remember the "early Christmas" that was held for a little boy who had brain cancer? Mom and Dad did not think he would make it to December, and arranged to have an early Christmas. Over 10,000 people sent cards and lots of special things happened. It is good to know there many kind people out there. One of the people who sent a card was former First Lady Barbara Bush, who lost a child to cancer herself. Sadly, he passed away this weekend.

Sera -- Glad you are enjoying the beautiful view of the snow on the Olympic Mountains! The storms sure seem to be tracking to the north this fall. Sadly, we are expecting a record high temperature on Thanksgiving Day this year, down here in Phoenix. No rain for months!

AZgarden -- Glad to hear your Christmas tree worked out!

But I pray for all those people whose lives have been altered this year by the terrible hurricanes, especially those in Puerto Rico, and the other places too.

Just curious -- has anyone else noticed desperate pleas from their local animal shelters to adopt? We have been getting them down here in AZ - it is sad that these animals are in this situation. Am very grateful to the many volunteers who help.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Hollyhock: Yes the shelter is filled up here too.But a large percent are Pitbulls. While some may be ok, their reputation precedes them, so people shy away.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Oh oh oh just found out that some family members who have been feuding with other family members for years are all going to be at the family Thanksgiving thingy. Last time this group was in the same house the police had to be called.

I may have to set up a video camera, this is gonna be great!

Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Seriously Jim, it takes awhile but once you learn to laugh at the drama it really helps. As long as you don't get roped in yourself of course

Old 11-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Seriously Jim, it takes awhile but once you learn to laugh at the drama it really helps. As long as you don't get roped in yourself of course
Oh I do not get involved in this drama, heck they fight with each other on Facebook! Facebook? Seriously? I sit back and just watch, then I go home.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Hollyhock: Yes the shelter is filled up here too.But a large percent are Pitbulls. While some may be ok, their reputation precedes them, so people shy away.
I chose to adopt who had been in the shelter for 5 months. My small contribution to help. She's a pretty neat cat though. It took me a long time to recognize her 'petting' meows. She only wants to be petted when she wants it. She also sleeps with me every night but only after I'm already asleep.

She's not that affectionate though. I often wonder if she was mistreated. She was put in the shelter only days before she had kittens & I wonder if that is what made her distrustful.

We get along OK now. Sometimes I wish she was more affectionate but we're adapting to each other.

There were a lot of pit bulls at the shelter. I feel badly for them.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:29 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Meo: Is she a female Calico? Sounds just like my Callie, who passed last year. She definitely had an attitude. If I pet her when she wasn't willing, she snapped at me ! And the first couple years, I almost wanted to take her back to the shelter, since she was so "grouchy" and would come at me looking to swat me! After a while, she became a very loving cat. I miss her alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement