U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 PM

1,643 posts, read 630,167 times

Advertisements

Meo-- Yes, I remember that you adopted your kitty from the shelter. Hopefully, as time goes by, she will become more trusting and loving. Sleeping on the bed is a big step for her. As "Barb" said, her Callie became very loving over time.

Well, we had a wedding in Arizona this afternoon, which you may have heard about on the news tonight. Meghan McCain got married to Ben Domenech! I am not familiar with him, but I did a quick Google search and see that his father is a fairly high ranking official and the groom has an online magazine. I am not much of a daytime tv watcher and I have never seen The View. I am happy for them -- she went ahead and had the wedding right away and was able to have her Dad, Sen. John McCain, walk her down the aisle, which is a memory she will be able to treasure all her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Meo: Is she a female Calico? Sounds just like my Callie, who passed last year. She definitely had an attitude. If I pet her when she wasn't willing, she snapped at me ! And the first couple years, I almost wanted to take her back to the shelter, since she was so "grouchy" and would come at me looking to swat me! After a while, she became a very loving cat. I miss her alot.
She's not a calico, she's mostly orange & white. She does have a weird mustache looking spot. Makes her look like Mr. Magoo. She also has the prettiest golden eyes.

I'm careful with her & wait for her to want to be petted. She doesn't like to be picked up. I found that out the hard way!

I'm glad you didn't give your kitty back. It's hard when they pass but knowing she received love & affection hopefully gives you comfort.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,240,764 times
Strangest coincidence just minutes ago. A calico cat outside ran across the window of the sunroom and threw the dog into fits. I wonder if it was Callie letting me know she missed me. LOL

Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
She's not a calico, she's mostly orange & white. She does have a weird mustache looking spot. Makes her look like Mr. Magoo. She also has the prettiest golden eyes.

I'm careful with her & wait for her to want to be petted. She doesn't like to be picked up. I found that out the hard way!

I'm glad you didn't give your kitty back. It's hard when they pass but knowing she received love & affection hopefully gives you comfort.

I have had male and female cats over the years. I have found the females to be very independent, not overly affectionate, want affection when THEY want it. Don't want to be picked up, etc.

On the other hand, the males are love-bugs. Want to sit on my lap, snuggle with me. The male I have now, Sam, can be quite demanding. Hold me NOW. Uses his cold, wet nose to "kiss" my face, puts his paw on my face, looks at me. Sometimes he is overwhelming.

So there is a huge difference in the males and females. Your girl will eventually want to be on your lap, on her terms, and will want all the petting you can give her. But she will know when she's had "enough."

It has everything to do with the cat and nothing to do with us.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM

I also have had more love from male cats. I'll never forget one who was HUGE. When I went to the shelter & the visiting room he wouldn't let any other cat near me. Wouldn't let any other cat near me but also wouldn't allow me to pet him. Of course I had to take him home.

He wouldn't let me near him until one time I got the flu & that cat did not leave my side. Curled up next to me &, I swear, if he could have, he would have taken care of me. That was the last time he was cold to me & we remained close to the end.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
^^^^^^^^ Meo ... he must have been a wonderful cat.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^ Meo ... he must have been a wonderful cat.
Yup.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:40 AM

8,018 posts, read 11,793,252 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone whether its a busy day or a quiet one I hope you have a good day.
I feel grateful to have been invited to a work friends for Tday. (I a, usually alone and will be alone for Christmas.) So I will be making a pie, a side and some appetizers to take over along with a bottle of wine. I will try not to overstay.

After a week trip to New Mexico earlier this month I came down with a cold that didn't seem that bad of a cold but certainly seemed to take me out more than they used to. Sort of a foggy mess. At the same time right after coming back I was supposed to do fasting blood work, get an MRI and 2 crowns. I rescheduled them all it seemed a bit overwhelming. MRI and blood work done yesterday. After living alone all my adult lime I'm suddenly starting to feel a little less resilent and I'm don't like it. Trying to figure out whether I should get a flu shot and a shingles shot.

Whatever you do or don't do today take care of yourself and be safe.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone whether its a busy day or a quiet one I hope you have a good day.
I feel grateful to have been invited to a work friends for Tday. (I a, usually alone and will be alone for Christmas.) So I will be making a pie, a side and some appetizers to take over along with a bottle of wine. I will try not to overstay.

After a week trip to New Mexico earlier this month I came down with a cold that didn't seem that bad of a cold but certainly seemed to take me out more than they used to. Sort of a foggy mess. At the same time right after coming back I was supposed to do fasting blood work, get an MRI and 2 crowns. I rescheduled them all it seemed a bit overwhelming. MRI and blood work done yesterday. After living alone all my adult lime I'm suddenly starting to feel a little less resilent and I'm don't like it. Trying to figure out whether I should get a flu shot and a shingles shot.

Whatever you do or don't do today take care of yourself and be safe.
It does get overwhelming at times. Nothing for a long time and then everything at once. I get the flu shot and I haven't gotten the shingles vaccine yet. My Mom had the flu, not a cold and sore throat many seem to think the flu is, and she was in bed for more than a week. I knew it was bad when my Dad was doing all the cooking and cleaning. I can still remember being scared and worried Mom was going to die, I was 9.

Enjoy your day with friends, it will be rain here after days of no rain. We need the rain, so I'll just adjust my plans a bit on where we will eat, depending on the direction of the rain. Our son, DIL and grandkids are coming over along with another couple we invited. So it will be slightly more formal than usual, but not much. We are who we are.

Have a good day!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:39 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,240,764 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Yesterday I witnessed a 2-car auto crash just outside of the dog park. Both cars were badly damaged and the fire truck, paramedics and several police came. I saw it happen and thought what would I do if it were me? I have no family close by, and no one to accompany me to a hospital or police station if needed. Kind of scary.

I came home and put my neighbor's phone number in my purse, just in case. They are a very nice couple and would help me if the situation arose.

I am thankful for people in my life. And especially all the great people on CD ! Whatever you are doing today, enjoy it with all your heart !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement