U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving, and thank you to the folks who have DM'd me wanting to know if I'm "still alive". lol Yes, I am but I haven't been around a whole lot. Still recovering from my broken wrist and hip but doing better than expected, according to my docs. A good thing, I guess. It's been a long six weeks and, believe it or not, I'm bored!! lol Never thought I'd say that but I suppose it's because I haven't been able to be out and about doing anything. If not for my hip I could stay plenty busy. Having to depend on other people just to go to the store is a PITA. Any appointments I've had have had to be really early in the day because my daughter had to take me and she needs to sleep during the day. Well, I can finally drive again and I've been taking advantage of it! My license expired on my b'day, in the hospital, but last week I drove myself to the DMV to get it renewed. First trip by myself. lol Tues. I drove myself to Phoenix for an appt. with my ortho doc so a four hour round trip. Was worried how it was going to affect my hip, sitting all that time, but it was fine. Except I should have taken my walker and didn't. I tend to overdo and the doc says it's just because I'm anxious to get completely 'okay' again. Probably.


I have 'graduated' to using a cane now and go back to work Sat. morning. My hip and leg are still healing but they will work with me to make sure I don't overdo. It's not so much the hip anymore as it is the muscles that 'tore' when I fell and are still healing. What a mess! I still have appointments in Phoenix with different docs. Next Tues. I see my wrist doc. Didn't know they specialized in wrists, or hips for that matter. Bones are bones, right?? lol In Jan. I go see my osteoporosis doc. Now that's a hot mess! I figured I had it but not as bad as it is! My bones look like beautiful irish lace. Unfortunately, they aren't supposed to. So now I have to give myself a shot every night for the next two years. It does explain a LOT as to why my job is so hard on my body and why my bones hurt constantly.


I am cooking today. I love doing these holiday dinners. It'll just be me, my two daughters and one of my great granddaughters whose mom has to work today. We tried to find some folks who would otherwise spend the day alone but the only possible one turns out to be allergic to cats and I have one. So, just the four of us. I've spent sooooo many holidays by myself that it wouldn't bother me to not have them here but I love 'em and it's good to be able to enjoy them. Hope all of you have a happy and enjoyable day as well whether with loved ones or by yourself. It's all good.

 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Yesterday I witnessed a 2-car auto crash just outside of the dog park. Both cars were badly damaged and the fire truck, paramedics and several police came. I saw it happen and thought what would I do if it were me? I have no family close by, and no one to accompany me to a hospital or police station if needed. Kind of scary.

I came home and put my neighbor's phone number in my purse, just in case. They are a very nice couple and would help me if the situation arose.

I am thankful for people in my life. And especially all the great people on CD ! Whatever you are doing today, enjoy it with all your heart !

Ever since my mom passed away, and I bought my house and moved, I have worried about that very thing. We looked out for one another and it worked out well, most of the time. Before my daughter moved back down here, and in with me, I really did wonder what I'd do if 'something happened'. It's why I no longer climb up ladders and things like that. It would never have entered my head to call one of my brothers/cousins/nieces/nephews, etc. etc.. 911 would be my friend and hopefully I could reach the phone! I was happy when my daughter came home but very grateful as well that she was here to help me out with a broken wrist and hip! If not for her they would've made me stay in the hospital at least another week. Two weeks was plenty, thank you very much.
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Reputation: 3538
Giesela -- "Trying to figure out whether I should get a flu shot and a shingles shot. "

I was just reading about a brand-new Shingles vaccination that the CDC is recommending. It is called Shingrix and is expected to be widely available in early 2018. You may want to hold off a month or two and get the new one. Hopefully the insurances will be covering it.

I hope everyone has a safe and pleasant Thanksgiving. I pray for safety over this holiday weekend. If everyone would just slow down a bit, it might help prevent awful accidents, like AZgarden was just describing. Btw, excellent idea, AZgarden, to put the neighbors' phone number in your purse for an emergency contact. Glad to hear you have some nice neighbors, too.

Jean -- So glad to hear you are having a rainy day! Enjoy but be careful!

Thinking of Thanksgiving memories today. Over the years, I have lost two family members, one on Thanksgiving Eve and one on Thanksgiving Day. But the memories I have are the thought of how kind friends and neighbors were -- stepping up to the plate and bringing extra food, paper plates/plastic forks [to make things easier] and just helping. So my memories are of the people who were so helpful at a difficult time - more the good deeds than the food!
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
AZDesertBrat, I send healing wishes to you. That sounds really tough. Good thing your daughter is there now. But be CAREFUL (I know that you are) and please take your calcium for those bones.

I have just moved to a new age restricted apartment and, with boxes still all over the place, took a flying LEAP right in the middle of the kitchen! Had a full cup of tea in one hand and had just turned off the kitchen light with the other hand, assuming there was another light still on. No. It was pitch dark in the kitchen and I stubbed my toe on the boxes and flew through the air, tea and all.

I don't know why I didn't break bones but I am just sore and black and blue. I put one of those splint things that you buy in the drug store on my wrist because I have to use my wrist (the one I landed on!) and don't want to hurt it any more than it already is.

Sun is out today. Staying inside except to give doggie his Thanksgiving Day walk. I am very grateful for the sun and the fact that this place faces due south. Sunlight is pouring in and warming up and brightening the room.

Nice to finally have all the leaves off the trees--I have a great view now without them! In a way, I can't wait until it snows (the first time is nice...) because there seem to be lots of birds here and how gorgeous would it be to have a pair of bright red cardinals sit right on my balcony!

I'm thankful for the little things. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 11-23-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope however you have chosen to spend it you are feeling content. It's a wonderful thing to be able to make that decision. I am grateful to live in the U.S. where we are able to enjoy the freedoms we have.

I am alone this year. I have a small turkey breast in the fridge. I also thought about going to Denny's for dinner. I've been there before for holiday dinner and I must say they do an excellent job. The price is very reasonable.

But I fell asleep on the couch (what else is new?) and woke up after 4. I don't feel like getting dressed and going out, I also don't feel like cooking. I have a ready-made salad in the fridge, some good bread, and I may decide to just have that. I did buy a couple of small Marie Collander pies..... one is coconut and the other chocolate.

But I wonder how many of us really feel grateful for what we do have? So many people out there with nothing, or think they have nothing. Today a young (early 20s) woman jumped off a bridge down to Rt. 81 going through Syracuse. Miraculously, she lived. And is now in a hospital where hopefully her whole situation will be addressed.

I also recently read in the news of a man and his wife who have dedicated their lives to helping others. In particular, those who live outside, under bridges, wherever they find "their" spot. He more or less picked up where his father left off. Concentration is made on delivering food to these people. Now, they are focusing on getting an old house in shape that will offer housing to women who otherwise have no place to go. Prostitutes, etc. with a focus on those who are victimized by sex trafficking.

I really admire this man and his wife for the kind work they do. We need more like them.
 
Old 11-23-2017, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
AZDesertBrat, I send healing wishes to you. That sounds really tough. Good thing your daughter is there now. But be CAREFUL (I know that you are) and please take your calcium for those bones.

I have just moved to a new age restricted apartment and, with boxes still all over the place, took a flying LEAP right in the middle of the kitchen! Had a full cup of tea in one hand and had just turned off the kitchen light with the other hand, assuming there was another light still on. No. It was pitch dark in the kitchen and I stubbed my toe on the boxes and flew through the air, tea and all.

I don't know why I didn't break bones but I am just sore and black and blue. I put one of those splint things that you buy in the drug store on my wrist because I have to use my wrist (the one I landed on!) and don't want to hurt it any more than it already is.

Sun is out today. Staying inside except to give doggie his Thanksgiving Day walk. I am very grateful for the sun and the fact that this place faces due south. Sunlight is pouring in and warming up and brightening the room.

Nice to finally have all the leaves off the trees--I have a great view now without them! In a way, I can't wait until it snows (the first time is nice...) because there seem to be lots of birds here and how gorgeous would it be to have a pair of bright red cardinals sit right on my balcony!

I'm thankful for the little things. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Thank you for the healing wishes and the same to you! Sorry to hear about your fall. My house is pitch black with no lights on so I have night lights in every room. I have stubbed my toes a few times since I've been home and it scares me every time. Have to make sure my daughter doesn't see me do it or she's allll over me! lol So glad you didn't break any bones but you'll be sore for a bit just from the 'jogging' your body took. Take it easy!!


It has been downright hot here today. Probably didn't help that I had the oven on most of the day but it was really warm outside too. I have had both doors open and ceiling fans running all afternoon.
 
Old 11-23-2017, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Giesela -- "Trying to figure out whether I should get a flu shot and a shingles shot. "

I was just reading about a brand-new Shingles vaccination that the CDC is recommending. It is called Shingrix and is expected to be widely available in early 2018. You may want to hold off a month or two and get the new one. Hopefully the insurances will be covering it.

I hope everyone has a safe and pleasant Thanksgiving. I pray for safety over this holiday weekend. If everyone would just slow down a bit, it might help prevent awful accidents, like AZgarden was just describing. Btw, excellent idea, AZgarden, to put the neighbors' phone number in your purse for an emergency contact. Glad to hear you have some nice neighbors, too.

Jean -- So glad to hear you are having a rainy day! Enjoy but be careful!

Thinking of Thanksgiving memories today. Over the years, I have lost two family members, one on Thanksgiving Eve and one on Thanksgiving Day. But the memories I have are the thought of how kind friends and neighbors were -- stepping up to the plate and bringing extra food, paper plates/plastic forks [to make things easier] and just helping. So my memories are of the people who were so helpful at a difficult time - more the good deeds than the food!

I've never had the Shingles vaccination. Never had a flu or pneumonia vaccination either but since my COPD diagnosis last Dec. I decided I better not take any chances so got both. Had two sore arms for a few days!


My mom passed away the week before Christmas three years ago...has it really been that long???...and the next year my sister passed away early Thanksgiving morning so two years ago today. Neither seems that long ago to me.
 
Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Reputation: 3538
AZDesertBrat--So happy you are starting to feel better. I'm surprised you are going back to work already. I know it will be crowded Saturday, with all the sales. I also took the Forteo shots for two years, I take something else now, once every six months, but can't remember what it is called. It is probably a good thing that you had the shots - can't hurt. I, too, have the COPD, and usually am fine. But I am fighting a slight cold and sure enough, while we were out today for Thanksgiving dinner, I started noticing getting a shortness of breath. Crazy!

Yes, it is always hard on holidays, thinking about those no longer with us. It is amazing how we think time is stopping when we are in a shock situation, when in reality time goes on. That's one of the reasons it is important to have someone who can make sure the little details get done - like paying bills or getting the oil changed in the car - Lol!!
 
Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 AM
 
8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Reputation: 10616
Moving truck backing up to the apt next door to mine. This always makes me nervous. So far I've been pretty lucky with neighbors in the past 10 years. Had only one loud one, the apt currently being moved into. A somewhat deaf older retired man who was a night owl and played music till 4 in the morning, drove me absolutely nuts as my bedroom shares a wall with his living room. He finally moved, then a quiet couple of years and now....................a little anxious. How many times can I be lucky? Has it run out?
 
Old 11-24-2017, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Moving truck backing up to the apt next door to mine. This always makes me nervous. So far I've been pretty lucky with neighbors in the past 10 years. Had only one loud one, the apt currently being moved into. A somewhat deaf older retired man who was a night owl and played music till 4 in the morning, drove me absolutely nuts as my bedroom shares a wall with his living room. He finally moved, then a quiet couple of years and now....................a little anxious. How many times can I be lucky? Has it run out?
I sure hope you luck out with this one.

Back when I was working there was an older women above me who was a night owl & hard of hearing. Her TV blared all night long. It was hard because I really liked her but often went to work half dead in the morning.

The landlady talked to her, her daughter talked to her & it would be OK for awhile but then would start up again.

I finally moved because I needed my sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top