U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM
 
Location: La Jolla
352 posts, read 176,455 times
Reputation: 656

Advertisements

Give him time to adjust to your schedule. Make sure to play with him when you are up late so that he doesn't want to sleep until later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,871 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Animals are not a pair of shoes or dress - you seem to return them often. He will adjust and so will you - wear ear plugs until then.


Huh?? How did you get that impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Reputation: 10937
My cat woke me up @ 4:30 this morning. Usually it's been anywhere from 5:30-6:30.

It's weird that when I was living in Minnesota I stayed up late & slept later. Here, in Arizona, almost from the start I am getting up early & going to bed earlier.

I know that has nothing to do with your cat's habits but have you thought of trying it? Or maybe earplugs in the morning?

I've never personally had a cat that would sleep in. I don't let her morning wake up calls disturb me, although this morning was a bit much. Maybe it's because I had to go without one for 2+ years & having the freedom to have her means so much to me.

I remember when you wrote when you didn't have a kitty. Can you reflect back on that & remember how sad it was for you?

I hope there is something you can do to keep him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,871 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My cat woke me up @ 4:30 this morning. Usually it's been anywhere from 5:30-6:30.

It's weird that when I was living in Minnesota I stayed up late & slept later. Here, in Arizona, almost from the start I am getting up early & going to bed earlier.

I know that has nothing to do with your cat's habits but have you thought of trying it? Or maybe earplugs in the morning?

I've never personally had a cat that would sleep in. I don't let her morning wake up calls disturb me, although this morning was a bit much. Maybe it's because I had to go without one for 2+ years & having the freedom to have her means so much to me.

I remember when you wrote when you didn't have a kitty. Can you reflect back on that & remember how sad it was for you?

I hope there is something you can do to keep him.

Thank you for this. Yes, I do recall when I didn't have a kitty and you are right, I was sad. Now I have two of them. Sam came in after I had GG for a while. Both came from the SPCA.

Sam has many endearing qualities. There is no way I would ever give him up. I feel tired all the time from lack of sleep and that is when I kind of look at him with a jaded eye. He is not a loud meower, but he is very physical, he rubs and rubs and rubs himself into me which I get up so he will stop and then I go give him some treats and turn on the coffee pot. GG is very quiet, almost tippy-toes. She is much smaller than him.

And being in an apartment, when I try shutting the door to keep him out of the bedroom, he starts making some kind of noise by the door and I worry he is scratching it, making the door a mess. They both have done a number on the carpet. Pretty sure if I ever move from here I won't get my security back. But I'm not moving so not to worry.

And when I see how they play together....... well they have to be together with me. Sounds a little sappy maybe, but that is just how it is. It's funny, when one is napping and the other is wanting to play, the awake one stares and stares at the other. Like, get up sleepy head, I want to play.

I'm sure we'll figure it out. I told Sam we needed to have a talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
..............................

EscortRider -- I agree there are some great advantages to large cities and I understand the opportunity to see specialized films andmeet the director is something worth doing. Glad you enjoyed it. We have a couple of smaller theaters in the Phoenix area that specialize in Independent and other films and they usually do sound more interesting.

Yes, the cultural advantages of a city like Los Angeles are important to me. While I see quite a few foreign films, there have been some really superb American films opening during the past several months. One in particular is "Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri". Every time we think we have that film figured out, we find out things are not what they seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
Reputation: 3533
ER -- Oh, great!! Now I have to Google Ebbing, MO.! That's what I like about the Chat Thread and C-D. I like learning lots of new and different things.

NYGal -- I'm sorry you are having kitty troubles. They will come around....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 06:38 AM
 
8,016 posts, read 11,791,418 times
Reputation: 10583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Since this is the chat thread, I hope nobody will clobber me when I submit this.

I have two cats, male and female. The male (Sam) is the problem. I am a bit of a night owl, for some reason I like to stay up late and sleep in the morning. The problem is I usually don't shut off the light till about 1:00-1:30 a.m. and hope to sleep till about 9:00 a.m. Sam thinks I should get up at 5:30 a.m., which is way not enough sleep for me. I need about 7 hours uninterrupted sleep to feel good. I have shut him out of the bedroom. But he makes a lot of noise trying to get in so he can bug me. He has food and water in the kitchen. So he's not hungry, and he has a litter pan in the bathroom he can use.

I'm thinking seriously of taking him back to the SPCA but my heart breaks every time I think about doing that.

I know there are at least a few pet lovers here who understand the dilemma I have. I know if I were to take Sam back, the female (GG) will miss him a lot. Would probably have to get another companion for her.

I feel pretty stupid writing this. But I seriously need advice.
I have cat issues too. Does he just want the door opened or what? I mean, if you get up for a potty break at 530, open the door, or feed him some canned, will he leave you alone when you go back to bed.
I know that's not uninterrupted sleep but honestly I've never had uninterrupted sleep, I'm awake half the night so I'm having probablems with that concept - sorry!
I actually have the oh so controversial cat door. They came to me from the outside and trying to keep them in was a disaster. And personally, regardless of the trend toward indoors only think its more humane if possible. I realize bad things can happen out there, we all assume risk in life everytime we walk out the door. I'm not suggesting that for you necessarily, just saying it does help.

Play with him for a fair time before bed? laser tag? A window bird feeder to watch in the morning?

Last edited by Giesela; 11-30-2017 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,871 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have cat issues too. Does he just want the door opened or what? I mean, if you get up for a potty break at 530, open the door, or feed him some canned, will he leave you alone when you go back to bed.
I know that's not uninterrupted sleep but honestly I've never had uninterrupted sleep, I'm awake half the night so I'm having probablems with that concept - sorry!
I actually have the oh so controversial cat door. They came to me from the outside and trying to keep them in was a disaster. And personally, regardless of the trend toward indoors only think its more humane if possible. I realize bad things can happen out there, we all assume risk in life everytime we walk out the door. I'm not suggesting that for you necessarily, just saying it does help.

Play with him for a fair time before bed? laser tag? A window bird feeder to watch in the morning?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it's good to know I'm not alone out there in cat-land!!

When I first saw Sam at the SPCA, he was of course in a cage and looked dazed and hopeless. One of the volunteers there kept trying to steer me toward another cat, but I couldn't get interested in the other one.

When I got him home, he had peed in the carrier and was so frightened he ran out and underneath the table and eventually under the bed. Thankfully, I found a good product to clean up and eliminate the odor. He was a nervous wreck and I could tell he had apparently been abused. I work at being extra gentle with him and the few times I did yell at him for something, he got a really hurt look on his face. It's so shocking to me the "human" expressions he gets on his face.

I think for Sam, it might be separation anxiety. When I finally open the door (I don't close it anymore) he is in and on the bed and rubbing up and down me till I get up. He (and GG) love their treats first thing in the morning because it's easy to give them quickly so I can do what I need to do (bathroom) and then turn coffee on. There is always a bowl of kibble in their eating area and a full, fresh bowl of water. My theory is if I died in the night, they would have something to eat before they started to think of ....... well you know.

I got a pretty good sleep last night, not the 7 hours I seem to require, but longer than usual and uninterrupted. Paradise!

GG and Sam play and fight together..... and have formed a pretty good bond together. They are here to stay, no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Reputation: 11774
My Schnoodle, Boomer, has Cushings disease. It's an adrenal hormone thing that makes him drink tons of water, pee huge amounts, pant like he is exhausted (he isn't) and generally needs much attention. So his medicine costs $36.00 for a tiny bottle (Cushex) and I decided to try some other herbs instead of reordering it. BAD IDEA !!!

Last night we were up at 1:30 AM and again at 4 AM going pp. He stands by the bed where I am sound asleep and whimpers. Because I know how bad it is to have to pee, of course I get up and take him out. I guess I am in this for the long haul, and have reordered his medicine. Whatever is in it, it's like gold. Very very expensive gold for a retiree who loves this woof alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,871 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My Schnoodle, Boomer, has Cushings disease. It's an adrenal hormone thing that makes him drink tons of water, pee huge amounts, pant like he is exhausted (he isn't) and generally needs much attention. So his medicine costs $36.00 for a tiny bottle (Cushex) and I decided to try some other herbs instead of reordering it. BAD IDEA !!!

Last night we were up at 1:30 AM and again at 4 AM going pp. He stands by the bed where I am sound asleep and whimpers. Because I know how bad it is to have to pee, of course I get up and take him out. I guess I am in this for the long haul, and have reordered his medicine. Whatever is in it, it's like gold. Very very expensive gold for a retiree who loves this woof alot.

Awww, your Boomer sounds like a sweetheart to me. How sad he has that darned sickness. But it's great there is medication that helps him. I know the price can be overwhelming, I have often wondered if the insurance we can buy to cover their medical needs is worth it. Have you looked into that at all?

I would be really lonely if I didn't have my "kids" and I imagine you feel the same about yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top