U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times

Advertisements

My oldest cat is going to be 20 in January. I was at the vets office and there was a chart on the wall with a cat's age and the corresponding human age. She's 92, that's seems accurate.

Her kidneys are going and she drinks a lot of water. She meows/howls going to get a drink, coming back from getting a drink and just because sometimes. Uninterrupted sleep is only had by DH as he travels and gets away. Me? I'm here with her every night and some nights are better than others. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old. She's still happy to be with us, so earplugs it is when DH is home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 08:23 AM

352 posts, read 176,455 times
jean_ji - we lost our cat in the spring of 2016 the month before she turned 20. She behaved much like you describe your girl. We were very lucky that our kitty stayed pretty healthy until almost the very end. We were all heartbroken when we had to put her down. Now we have 2 sister kitties that are a year old and so much fun!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
jean_ji - we lost our cat in the spring of 2016 the month before she turned 20. She behaved much like you describe your girl. We were very lucky that our kitty stayed pretty healthy until almost the very end. We were all heartbroken when we had to put her down. Now we have 2 sister kitties that are a year old and so much fun!
I'm glad you kept you heart open for two more.

We were blind-sided today. We took our Springer Spaniel to the vet's and had him put down. I was a mess before we got there and DH shed tears as we held him. He was 14 and we got him as a rescue at age three, he was a beautiful inside and out and the grandkids adored him.

He had an episode of not being able to use his back legs 3 months ago. With a steroid injection and cold laser therapy treatments he recovered well to our surprise and delight. He went from good to bad in 24 hours and couldn't get up again without help around mid-morning. It was obvious he was in distress and we knew it was time. We are grateful for the extra months with him, but we weren't going to put him through this another time.

Tough day, and at this age and with other pets before him, it never is easy no matter how many times we've done it. :-(

This was Tuesday. My grandson was home sick from school with a fever/cold, taking a nap. I was decorating the tree and Fergus was on guard duty watching out the front door. I will miss him.
Chat Thread-img_7222.jpg

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-01-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Sorry to hear this, Jean - they are great dogs.

I lost a 14 year old wheaten 10/5 - he walked in the house from outside and only got inside the doorway and stood they swaying so I picked him up and put him on his bed. He'd been incontinent for about 2 months and was clearly reaching the end. I went in the kitchen to finish an email and then I went back in his room - he was halfway out of his bed and dead.

Now I have another 14 year old that has been going downhill fast since Sami died. She has stopped eating for the last week - I manage to squirt a milk/vitamin combo into her mouth in hopes that she will start eating again. I read about a paste that you rub in the mouths of elder dogs to stimulate their appetite and I guess it finally worked. I was starting to think about taking her in but today she rallied and came in the kitchen to be fed.

If she has to go I want her to go in her sleep - the hardest thing is to have to put them down.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM

I've never had any of our pets to go on their own and we've had pets since our early 20's. They have all been in a crisis or pain. The vet's we've had through the years have been compassionate and caring, even the 24/7 emergency vets. The last one with our favorite cat, was crying with us and we had never met her before.

I admit to being cynical at times and I was half expecting this current vet to try to talk us into more laser treatments and medications. Instead he told us we were giving our dog the best gift we could. I had been trying not to cry, but that did it.

Tough times and it won't be the last, losing those you love comes with being here.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:41 AM

8,016 posts, read 11,791,418 times
Hugs Jean_ji, it is so hard.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:36 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Today, and periodically, I catch myself thinking I'm being lazy because I'm reading or being on the Internet rather than doing housework or preparing for the next week.

Then I remember that I'm retired & tomorrow is another day. I wonder sometimes why I think as if I'm still in work mode.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 3,537,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I wonder sometimes why I think as if I'm still in work mode.
Because people often feel a psychological need for a sense of accomplishment and a sense of productivity - before and after retirement.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
Jean --- So sorry about your beloved pup crossing the Rainbow Bridge. It is such a hard thing for us to see them in misery and to say good-bye. Sending hugs....

Old 12-02-2017, 07:31 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Jean - it takes a lot from us when our beloved pets die. It's tough. Hugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement