U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Woke up this morning to no heat. Repairman will be here this afternoon.
I remember that happening once, ended up cuddled with my son under a ton of blankets. Stay warm!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Woke up this morning to no heat. Repairman will be here this afternoon.
Me too. I have a pellet stove that's my only heat here, went out last night was 43 inside when I got up. Just a bit chilly. Took it apart today and completely cleaned it.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:06 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Day two of the trip back to FL. Yesterday was fun, today is just more driving but with rain added in. We are running right at the edge of a front so the rain should stay light. When we get close to home, a rain front will be coming in from the Gulf. I'm not complaining, yesterday was a longer drive with dry roads. One out of two isn't bad.

We took turns driving the 16 foot truck with trailer yesterday. The truck is comfortable but there is no backing up because we do not have the skills needed. It's a bit limiting, but we are doing okay.

I am looking forward to sitting down at home with a cat in my lap and watching a Christmas movie tonight. I'm so glad we put the tree up and decorated before we left. After all the work we did cleaning out the house and now driving home, I think I might have thought about skipping Christmas this year.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Driving with a trailer can be sort of white knuckle. Even when just straight on the highway with low traffic I still am a bit tense with a trailer. I'm sure being home will be great Jean_ji.

So my new apt neighbor. Military guy, looks to be single, not unusual around here and normally pretty quiet neighbors.
He is apparently learning to play the ukelele. He practices everyday after dinner which is fine. I can hear him pretty well but as long as he isn't playing at night I'm ok with it. Seems a bit of an odd choice but thats what I think it isss He does seem to be a bit of a night owl with the tv, so far he has turned it off a bit after I have one to bed though so so far so good.

Was thinking of going to FL for a week in Jan but got two crowns this week plus the MRI a few weeks ago. My credit card says wait till Febuary!

Finished Victoria on Amazon last night. It was very good as was season 1 of The Crown (netflix?). Season 2 of The Crown starts today. Thank whatever entity for tv. I do wonder sometimes if TV has slowed down cultural and technical advances. So much easier to watch tv and go to the library than...with all that time on their hands in the old days they were more likely to play an instrument, learn to fix their own stuff etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Day two of the trip back to FL. Yesterday was fun, today is just more driving but with rain added in. We are running right at the edge of a front so the rain should stay light. When we get close to home, a rain front will be coming in from the Gulf. I'm not complaining, yesterday was a longer drive with dry roads. One out of two isn't bad.

We took turns driving the 16 foot truck with trailer yesterday. The truck is comfortable but there is no backing up because we do not have the skills needed. It's a bit limiting, but we are doing okay.

I am looking forward to sitting down at home with a cat in my lap and watching a Christmas movie tonight. I'm so glad we put the tree up and decorated before we left. After all the work we did cleaning out the house and now driving home, I think I might have thought about skipping Christmas this year.
Moving is so tiring and stressful--glad you have made it back and that Christmas is ready and waiting for you there.

Getting ready to snow for the first time this year--a coastal storm. I'm inland so only a few inches here. See what you may be missing?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Ahhh, snow. I am finally in a place where there is a chance. Only slight though. It's down to the 20s at night and still only 35 right now. A white Christmas would be marvelous in Prescott, AZ.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Well, I checked a box off the old Bucket List last night and I am so glad it worked out!

Last night i went to see the re-scheduled Tony Bennett concert here in Phoenix, that had been originally scheduled back in July. Back then, December seemed a long way off, but, by golly, it did work out and we were able to attend. Hubby was under the weather, but I recruited my 32 year-old daughter and she loved it! This being the Phoenix area and having lots of young people around, the crowd was quite diverse, with lots of younger concert-goers, too.

It brought tears to my eyes when he did the grand finale of "I left my Heart in San Francisco", as it was sung on Dec 7th, and I had a young aunt, age 32, leave San Francisco via ship in 1940 or so, employed by a govt contractor to help build Clark AFB. She never made it - died on the ship en-route. And she left boyfriend back there, too. I had another aunt stationed there during WW2. Anyway, that particular song has lots of sentimental value for me, and I was thrilled to finally get to hear it sung live.

Praying for the people in CA impacted by these fires, and the fire-fighters and everyone working so hard. This morning one of our local electric companies, Salt River Project, sent a crew of workers to Puerto Rico for 30 days, to help with getting power restored, and another crew will be going when they return. So thankful for the many people working both on the very front lines, and also the ones who are out there but don't get the publicity -- like the catering services providing all the food for the front lines, and the truckers driving the supplies.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Great story Hollyhock. I think Tony Bennet has been recognized as a great throughout his career but he faded from view there for awhile. Nice to see the younger generation recognizing and showing up for his talent.

So many catastrophes this year, good reminders to be both grateful and pray/donate.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Giesela -- Yes, so many catastrophes. So many displaced people losing their homes to flooding, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes earthquakes in other places. There is a back-office business, here in Phoenix [a place where there are few natural disasters] which specializes in helping insured clients secure short-term temporary housing. I think that would be an interesting job -- but challenging. The extended-stay motels/hotels in the U.S. do a pretty decent business in the U.S. What gets really bad for people in these disaster situations is when their place of employment also is destroyed. Yes, there is [disaster] unemployment but not every closed/damaged business decides to rebuild/re-open and then a person has to make some gut-wrenching decisions about what direction to take.

AZGarden - I hope you do get some snow for your first PV Christmas! It was 38 this morning down here, but it was probably cooler before - I didn't check the thermometer until about 8:30 am. It is quite cool across the country. I had 3 Facebook friends post pics of unusual snowy weather today - Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Jean - Glad to hear you have arrived safely in Florida. Welcome home!

In_NewEngland -- Enjoy your snow and be safe!

AZDesertBrat -- How are you feeling these days, being back at work?

Jim -- I hope your stove is working okay now! And BJW50 -- I hope you are fixed up and warm, too!

Old 12-09-2017, 05:21 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Giesela -- Yes, so many catastrophes. So many displaced people losing their homes to flooding, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes earthquakes in other places. There is a back-office business, here in Phoenix [a place where there are few natural disasters] which specializes in helping insured clients secure short-term temporary housing. I think that would be an interesting job -- but challenging. The extended-stay motels/hotels in the U.S. do a pretty decent business in the U.S. What gets really bad for people in these disaster situations is when their place of employment also is destroyed. Yes, there is [disaster] unemployment but not every closed/damaged business decides to rebuild/re-open and then a person has to make some gut-wrenching decisions about what direction to take.

AZGarden - I hope you do get some snow for your first PV Christmas! It was 38 this morning down here, but it was probably cooler before - I didn't check the thermometer until about 8:30 am. It is quite cool across the country. I had 3 Facebook friends post pics of unusual snowy weather today - Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Jean - Glad to hear you have arrived safely in Florida. Welcome home!

In_NewEngland -- Enjoy your snow and be safe!

AZDesertBrat -- How are you feeling these days, being back at work?

Jim -- I hope your stove is working okay now! And BJW50 -- I hope you are fixed up and warm, too!

Hi! Thanks for asking! I'm doing pretty good. They started me out pretty slow...4 or 5 hour days and only three days but this week I'm back to 40 hours so we'll see. I'm using a cane now and it's not too awkward but getting better every day. I had NO idea it took so long to recover from a broken hip!

Odd places to be getting snow this year. I can't believe that people have a hard time believing in climate change. I swear it changes every season anymore so we hardly know what to expect. Maybe we'll get a little snow here this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement