Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 08:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Since this is the chat forum, I need to get some help I've been having for a long time and am a bit ashamed I have not resolved it yet. Living in denial and it's not a river.

I moved into this newly built low-income apartment building a little over six years ago. For the entire time I have been here my toilet does not flush as it should. I have not done anything to keep it a "secret". I've told management, the owners, my neighbors, etc. Once in a while a maintenance guy (there have been some doozies here) that "checked it out"........ poured some kind of fluid down it, ran a "snake" down it, more recently another gadget was tried. None of these have resolved the problem at all. Sometimes I've gotten attitude because I am complaining about it.

The problem is when liquid is put in the toilet, it works 99.9% of the time. But put something solid in it? Different story. Most of the time when solids are in there, it won't flush all the way, "stuff" get stuck and I have to use a stick to make it more flushable. Then I get the Clorox out to clean the stick, pour in the toilet, etc.

A friend recommended I call the board of health as this could be considered a serious health problem.

I've more recently been told a plumber is called but have to wait till they can come (at Christmas time could be a wait). Then wait to see if whatever the plumber does works. If not, then and only then, I'll get one of those pressurized toilets. And since it has already been six years, when can I expect something to be done.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
How about posting this in the house forum and ask those peeps there? Lots of tradesmen and some have answered some of my house problems. I have a new Major/minor flush toilet which saves on water. Maybe you need a new one too? I hate toilets.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
How about posting this in the house forum and ask those peeps there? Lots of tradesmen and some have answered some of my house problems. I have a new Major/minor flush toilet which saves on water. Maybe you need a new one too? I hate toilets.

I hate toilets, too, but unfortunately I need one.

Wasn't sure where to post this; I looked in the place you suggested and didn't see where to put it. I guess a new thread could work.

Thank you.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Baking soda & boiling water helps. My old apartment was like that also at times. I would put in a 1/4 to 1/2 box of baking soda & tea kettle of boiling water did the trick. Sometimes 2 pots of boiling water.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Baking soda & boiling water helps. My old apartment was like that also at times. I would put in a 1/4 to 1/2 box of baking soda & tea kettle of boiling water did the trick. Sometimes 2 pots of boiling water.
I use baking soda and vinegar to keep the sink/tub drains clean.
But I don't think that would work on toilets.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I use baking soda and vinegar to keep the sink/tub drains clean.
But I don't think that would work on toilets.
It always worked for me, as long as I added the boiling water.

I also use baking soda & vinegar for sinks to keep them clean.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:39 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Since this is the chat forum, I need to get some help I've been having for a long time and am a bit ashamed I have not resolved it yet. Living in denial and it's not a river.

I moved into this newly built low-income apartment building a little over six years ago. For the entire time I have been here my toilet does not flush as it should. I have not done anything to keep it a "secret". I've told management, the owners, my neighbors, etc. Once in a while a maintenance guy (there have been some doozies here) that "checked it out"........ poured some kind of fluid down it, ran a "snake" down it, more recently another gadget was tried. None of these have resolved the problem at all. Sometimes I've gotten attitude because I am complaining about it.

The problem is when liquid is put in the toilet, it works 99.9% of the time. But put something solid in it? Different story. Most of the time when solids are in there, it won't flush all the way, "stuff" get stuck and I have to use a stick to make it more flushable. Then I get the Clorox out to clean the stick, pour in the toilet, etc.

A friend recommended I call the board of health as this could be considered a serious health problem.

I've more recently been told a plumber is called but have to wait till they can come (at Christmas time could be a wait). Then wait to see if whatever the plumber does works. If not, then and only then, I'll get one of those pressurized toilets. And since it has already been six years, when can I expect something to be done.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Are you on the bottom floor or upper?

If upper, the problem might be somewhere below you - maybe ask the person living below you if they have issues? If that is your situation.

Sounds like they need a real plumber to tackle the job.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 AM

NYgal: Just start a new thread in the House forum.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:15 AM

To all who have given me ideas, thank you.

The vinegar/baking soda idea does NOT work on toilets. At least not on mine.

AZgarden, so full of suggestions.

Thank you.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Well, NY, I WANT your toilet to flush properly for Christmas !!!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement