U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Woke up to this story on CBS. What a beautiful man. Made my day and I'm not even out there yet.

Homeless pay for haircuts with hugs in Conn. town - CBS News
I had seen this earlier -- and agree -- nice to see a heart-warming story for a change!

And - GOOD MORNING!!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Sodium, the silent killer. On the other hand Potassium very vital and needed, especially in the summer and really vital on the beach and other places and times. So finding that balance and the right foods. The app helps. Why do we grave salt? Probably habit as we can detox and learn not to. Some good books on that and if you subscribe to prevention lots of good info. Perhaps the trick for food related addiction is to detox your body. It is amazing how once detoxed your craving becomes a lack of tolerance.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM

If folks care do they know for sure they are not lactose intolerant?

Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Anyone with the app or website should compare a slice of center cut smoked bacon from Costco and a Keurig K cup of hot chocolate for calories and sodium. Virtually identical. I discovered that yesterday.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sodium, the silent killer. On the other hand Potassium very vital and needed, especially in the summer and really vital on the beach and other places and times. So finding that balance and the right foods. The app helps. Why do we grave salt? Probably habit as we can detox and learn not to. Some good books on that and if you subscribe to prevention lots of good info. Perhaps the trick for food related addiction is to detox your body. It is amazing how once detoxed your craving becomes a lack of tolerance.
There have been some recent studies that suggest folks are cutting down too much on sodium - and also, that they are not getting enough iodine b/c they are no longer using iodized salt.

Very interesting and thought provoking!

I keep tabs on sodium for my hubby -- he has congestive heart failure and so he has to restrict sodium intake.

Potassium is very important to proper metabolism -- it helps break down carbs, for one thing. And it is an electrolyte, so it is important in heart function.

I know bananas may not be the best low calorie choice, but we add them to our diet for their potassium. Also, broccoli is high in potassium. I include some type of "greens" (collards) several times a week. And those salad fixin's are good for sources of potassium, too. We add dried apricots and yogurt as part of our potassium count during the week.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There have been some recent studies that suggest folks are cutting down too much on sodium - and also, that they are not getting enough iodine b/c they are no longer using iodized salt.

Very interesting and thought provoking!

I keep tabs on sodium for my hubby -- he has congestive heart failure and so he has to restrict sodium intake.

Potassium is very important to proper metabolism -- it helps break down carbs, for one thing. And it is an electrolyte, so it is important in heart function.

I know bananas may not be the best low calorie choice, but we add them to our diet for their potassium. Also, broccoli is high in potassium. I include some type of "greens" (collards) several times a week. And those salad fixin's are good for sources of potassium, too. We add dried apricots and yogurt as part of our potassium count during the week.
You got it, as a backup coconut water and even milk can do wonders to increase your count of a number of things. I love the food source pie graph. Onions, peppers and spinach in or with a scrambled egg is often core to starting our day. Add a banana and you are we'll on your way. Can have Vit C And A done in no time.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Quote:
Sodium, the silent killer. On the other hand Potassium very vital and needed, especially in the summer and really vital on the beach and other places and times. So finding that balance and the right foods. The app helps. Why do we grave salt? Probably habit as we can detox and learn not to. Some good books on that and if you subscribe to prevention lots of good info. Perhaps the trip for food related addiction is to detox your body. It is amazing how once detoxed your craving becomes a lack of tolerance.
Both sodium and potassium are essential to life. You should not over indulge in either. Excessive sodium correlates with hypertension, not necessarily heart attacks or strokes. The Institute of Medicine, at the request of the CDC, conducted a review of evidence to date and issued a report that raised the hackles of the American Heart Association. Yes, excessive sodium is correlated with hypertension, but the IOM also found no evidence supporting the recommendation that certain subgroups limit their sodium intake to less than that recommended for the general population. In fact, the evidence suggested that certain subgroups, i.e. diabetics, etc. could be harmed by the sharp reduction of sodium intake. The panel also found no evidence supporting the sodium levels recommended by the AHA (and others) for the general population. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/he...pagewanted=all (Link may not work for non-subscribers.)

I ran into this issue in the last several weeks. My 87 year old father was admitted to the ER after he fell (again). Initial diagnosis was mild dehydration and it was later determined that he had orthostatic hypotension. The first day of his hospital stay, he was provided a "healthy" diet. Having little patience with absurdities I told the nurse this was ridiculous, given his age and blood pressure. The diet was changed and he was allowed to order cheeseburgers, chocolate ice cream, etc.

After he was transferred to a rehab center, my sister and I initially found and stashed salt and pepper packets in his nightstand, as his meals were never delivered with these essentials. After a few days, we upped the ante and gave him a sea salt shaker and left it out in the open. We also pushed fluids. His BP was normal upon discharge.

I, too, have a normal blood pressure (and also occasionally get "head rushes" upon standing) and have decided to monitor my sodium intake to ensure my body is getting all of the sodium it needs.

BTW, be careful with the potassium intake. Years ago (when I was a CCU nurse), we had a patient admitted who had replaced his generous use of the salt shaker with an equally generous use of the "salt substitute" (potassium based). Potassium level was high and his heart responded as expected. Dangerous episodes of ventricular tachycardia. Ouch.

Everything in moderation.

Edit: Just saw anifani's post. Great minds think alike?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Both sodium and potassium are essential to life. You should not over indulge in either. Excessive sodium correlates with hypertension, not necessarily heart attacks or strokes. The Institute of Medicine, at the request of the CDC, conducted a review of evidence to date and issued a report that raised the hackles of the American Heart Association. Yes, excessive sodium is correlated with hypertension, but the IOM also found no evidence supporting the recommendation that certain subgroups limit their sodium intake to less than that recommended for the general population. In fact, the evidence suggested that certain subgroups, i.e. diabetics, etc. could be harmed by the sharp reduction of sodium intake. The panel also found no evidence supporting the sodium levels recommended by the AHA (and others) for the general population. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/he...pagewanted=all (Link may not work for non-subscribers.)

I ran into this issue in the last several weeks. My 87 year old father was admitted to the ER after he fell (again). Initial diagnosis was mild dehydration and it was later determined that he had orthostatic hypotension. The first day of his hospital stay, he was provided a "healthy" diet. Having little patience with absurdities I told the nurse this was ridiculous, given his age and blood pressure. The diet was changed and he was allowed to order cheeseburgers, chocolate ice cream, etc.

After he was transferred to a rehab center, my sister and I initially found and stashed salt and pepper packets in his nightstand, as his meals were never delivered with these essentials. After a few days, we upped the ante and gave him a sea salt shaker and left it out in the open. We also pushed fluids. His BP was normal upon discharge.

I, too, have a normal blood pressure (and also occasionally get "head rushes" upon standing) and have decided to monitor my sodium intake to ensure my body is getting all of the sodium it needs.

BTW, be careful with the potassium intake. Years ago (when I was a CCU nurse), we had a patient admitted who had replaced his generous use of the salt shaker with an equally generous use of the "salt substitute" (potassium based). Potassium level was high and his heart responded as expected. Dangerous episodes of ventricular tachycardia. Ouch.

Everything in moderation.

Edit: Just saw anifani's post. Great minds think alike?
I am honored to think my mind would be in the same category as yours, Lenora!!!

Great info - and I love the story about your father! Sometimes, in clinical settings, I fear that common sense goes out the window, as I have seen too many of these types of incidences over the years . . . no individualized care . . . sad.

And so glad you mentnioned the info about the salt substitute. I think that stuff is dangerous!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You got it, as a backup coconut water and even milk can do wonders to increase your count of a number of things. I love the food source pie graph. Onions, peppers and spinach in or with a scrambled egg is often core to starting our day. Add a banana and you are we'll on your way. Can have Vit C And A done in no time.
YES!!! Omelettes or scrambled eggs "spanish style." I mince onions and bell pepper and put in little bags and freeze them . . . so we can just dump out the amount we need to make our omelettes. I knew I was adding some nutrition but now I can really get specific with that APP! Woo-eeeeee!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM

You all need to tell me more about how you use coconut water. I have read some articles over the last year and there seem to be so many benefits to using it, but I have not researched HOW to use it.

If anyone can share some info, I would be very grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement