U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times

Advertisements

It's supposed to be nicer next week, then it's supposed cold again. Been a crazy last couple days. My wife's cousin died yesterday. My son has pnuemonia and he's staying with us. His FIL is in the hospital, not doing very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
^^^^^ I am very sorry to read this. Things seem to happen in threes. I hope your son recovers soon.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 AM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
It might actually snow tonight should get a whole half inch...woo hoo.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
BJW50 - I am sorry to hear about all the troubles your family is having right now. My condolences on your wife's cousin. This is a terrible season for illness -- one of the worst I can remember. I hope your son heals and is on the mend soon, and also his FiL.

Jim -- It sounds like you, too, are having a dry snow season, like us in Arizona. I guess it is all tracking further north.

NYgal -- your sweet and encouraging presence in this group is very much appreciated by myself, and I am guessing many others, too.

I hope the weather is improving for those of you who have been having rough weather. I hope Saturday turns out to be a good day.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
BJW50 - I am sorry to hear about all the troubles your family is having right now. My condolences on your wife's cousin. This is a terrible season for illness -- one of the worst I can remember. I hope your son heals and is on the mend soon, and also his FiL.

Jim -- It sounds like you, too, are having a dry snow season, like us in Arizona. I guess it is all tracking further north.

NYgal -- your sweet and encouraging presence in this group is very much appreciated by myself, and I am guessing many others, too.

I hope the weather is improving for those of you who have been having rough weather. I hope Saturday turns out to be a good day.

Wow, HollyhockGarden, thank you for those kind words. I inwardly feel not many people see me that way!

The weather here has been awful but not unexpected for the area we are in. I am thankful that being retired I don't need to make that daily drive to work. But in all honesty, it does exhilarate me...... I have been very fortunate to not have many accidents except for one time that I required a ride in an ambulance. And it was a fine summer day.

When I read your posts as well as other AZ posters, I kind of wish I lived there, too. But I don't see it happening unless I win a ton of money. Or had someone to move with.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^ I am very sorry to read this. Things seem to happen in threes. I hope your son recovers soon.
He's feeling a little better. He slept all day Friday and most of the day yesterday. He ate a bowl of soup and took a bath today. He's really unsteady on his feet, so I took him home to take a bath in his walk-in tub. He got to see his gf today as well. I sat with her dad for a few hours so she could go home for a bit. We are having a memorial for wife's cousin this coming Saturday. He will be inurned in a family lot in extreme Western Nebraska sometime this spring/summer.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:24 AM

BJW50: Thank you for the update. Glad your son is on the mend. Old saying.... time takes time.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
BJW50 - I am glad your son is starting to feel better, pneumonia takes a lot out of you -- tell him not to over-do it. I hope weather will be okay for the memorial service. Take care of yourself, too.

Wow! I am watching the evening news while typing this and I see they are now setting up "Flu Tents" out in the hospital parking lots in CA and FL. We have been hit really bad here in Arizona, including in our family.

Not too many posts on here lately -- hope everybody is okay!!
Maybe one of us won the big Powerball and is just hanging low for a bit??? Always fun to dream, Lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
I decided to get a flu shot in the AM. I never do this because the one time I did, I got the flu really bad. But it's very scary with this flu which is devastating the US and the oldsters, like me, are at risk. So I will do it.

In addition, my 15 year old doggie, Boomer, has Cushings and dementia and I never know if he will make it another day. He goes outside to pee and then stands there in the cold because he isn't sure where he is.

I am starting training to be a CASA in Yavapai county. Should be very interesting !

Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I decided to get a flu shot in the AM. I never do this because the one time I did, I got the flu really bad. But it's very scary with this flu which is devastating the US and the oldsters, like me, are at risk. So I will do it.

In addition, my 15 year old doggie, Boomer, has Cushings and dementia and I never know if he will make it another day. He goes outside to pee and then stands there in the cold because he isn't sure where he is.

I am starting training to be a CASA in Yavapai county. Should be very interesting !
The CASA training should be interesting, being a children’s advocate is so worth doing. I love kids.

I always get the flu shot, it was mandated for my job and I still do it every year. I’ve been sidelined for the last 10 days with a cold, sinusitis and of all things: conjunctivitis! I don’t recall ever having pink eye before. I kept thinking I would get better each day, until the pink eye started. I gave in and quit medicating myself with OTC meds and home remedies and saw a doctor. I needed an antibiotic for a sinus infection. My cataract surgery scheduled for this week and next are rescheduled for February now.

Surveyors are here today updating our survey. The county needs a raised seal survey in our names for a pool permit. We’ve been planning a pool since last June. We bought this house without a pool since we didn’t want to maintain one while snow birding. We had a pool contractor come out before we signed the contract for the house to make sure we could put one in.

Our new neighbor’s realtor told her she had room for a pool, but he didn’t tell her how ridiculously small it would have to be with required setbacks etc. She bought another house with a pool the week after a pool design company gave her the news that she would not be happy with what they could put in and now her house by us is on the market. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement