U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Jim -- I hope the power gets fixed. I know it is more complicated to fix an entire pole. Stay safe and warm, and the pups, too!
It's back on now, I don't mind the cold that much. Drunks hit poles all the time here so the power company is used to getting out and fixing them.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
My son in Chicago area has just gotten over 5 days of the flu and was very sick. He did get the flu shot before too. So I am canceling my appt. today. The one time I got the shot I also got the flu. So whatever.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My son in Chicago area has just gotten over 5 days of the flu and was very sick. He did get the flu shot before too. So I am canceling my appt. today. The one time I got the shot I also got the flu. So whatever.

I have been hearing it said on TV that even tho the flu shot this year is not very effective, it will keep you from getting as sick as you would if you didn't get it.

It's up to everyone to make their own decision, of course.

I get one every year. When I didn't get the shot, I was very sick. If I do get sick after I have the shot, it's not nearly as bad.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
Good to read all yr Posts. For me, sharing our day to day lives builds a friendship.. Haven't Posted as someone said who cares---well I do ! Thank each of you for Posting !

Evoking memories---seems since the good LORD allowed me to obtain the age of 70 (now + !), memories of years ago, are coming back. Do you find this happening to you; one person told me no one wants to hear your stories !

Story---In the Balance Class I attend, the person next to me said "The instructor must have eaten Cherrios today ! "

It brought to mind, when I was 7 (64 YEARS ago), my ballet instructor asked me "What did you eat for breakfast today?"
Cherrios, I replied. Okay class, everyone eat Cherrios ! So surprised I was doing so well !

In the early 1950's, it seems all young girls took ballet & tap dance lessons; I only took and excelled at ballet according to the instructor.

So! Do you tell stories ?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Good to read all yr Posts. For me, sharing our day to day lives builds a friendship.. Haven't Posted as someone said who cares---well I do ! Thank each of you for Posting !

Evoking memories---seems since the good LORD allowed me to obtain the age of 70 (now + !), memories of years ago, are coming back. Do you find this happening to you; one person told me no one wants to hear your stories !

Story---In the Balance Class I attend, the person next to me said "The instructor must have eaten Cherrios today ! "

It brought to mind, when I was 7 (64 YEARS ago), my ballet instructor asked me "What did you eat for breakfast today?"
Cherrios, I replied. Okay class, everyone eat Cherrios ! So surprised I was doing so well !

In the early 1950's, it seems all young girls took ballet & tap dance lessons; I only took and excelled at ballet according to the instructor.

So! Do you tell stories ?
LOL Sera, I took dance lessons, too. Do you remember waltz clogs from tap? When we moved to the south, I was happy to learn that I could "clog" I did miss the Maypole.

I also love hearing everyone's stories and about their current day to day lives here. My brother and I have started sharing memories from our past and we enjoy it very much. We are careful to keep it light.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I have always enjoyed hearing stories, especially from someone who has lived a long time and has led a good life. I haven't found anyone like that to listen to in a long time, so maybe I'll find someone here to listen to. I hope people will open up and share some good stuff here.

Some of my stories have made my friends laugh and they have told me to write a book. But I won't, it's not in me to do that. Some of my stories from early childhood were not funny. I know at my age of 75+ I should be "over" them, but as some may know here and agree with me, there are some things you never forget.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Okay, I'll tell a little story about a very brief, momentary encounter with strangers in my life. This happened fifteen, maybe twenty years ago. It was during the time after my divorce when I lived full-time on a thirty-foot sailboat in the Ventura harbor. Commuter traffic wasn't so incredibly awful at that time and the drive from the boat to work was manageable.

On this particular morning, I stopped at a supermarket to pick up something that I would have for lunch. Walking across the parking lot on my way into the store, I spy an attractive lady with her young son in tow. "Hmmm", I thought. "I wonder." (We single guys think stuff like that.)

Went about my business in the store and got into the short checkout line. The lady and her son soon get in line behind me. Looked like she was lunch shopping for her son. "Yup. Definitely a 'looker'. And no ring either." As the cashier was ringing up my items, I see that there is a display of cut flower bouquets nearby and I grab one and place it on the conveyor belt to be added to my tab.

After I paid the cashier, I grabbed the bouquet, turned to the lady and said, "Here, these are for you." Then, before registering any reactions, turned on my heals and promptly left the store without looking back.

I can only wonder what transpired between the cashier and that lady, and her son too. I do hope she had a "memorable day". My only regret, thinking upon it later in the day, is not hanging around in the parking lot afterward to introduce myself; but I had to get to work and left right away. It was a 'spur of the moment' thing, without any forethought. It just happened, almost automatically. I never saw her again.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 01-12-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
What a nice thing to do, Volosong! And yes, I am sure both the cashier and the lady were chatting about the bouquet!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 AM

52 posts, read 30,626 times
Volosong, as a recipient of flowers given anonymously many years ago (although mine was in a very different situation), I can tell you they were deeply appreciated and truly brightened not only my day, but my hope for a better tomorrow.

I hope your gesture made at least that much difference in that woman's day.

Three cheers for random acts of kindess!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I just bet she tried everything she knew to find you !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement