U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

For the most part, snow people tend to drive carefully in winter. Not only to be safe but no one wants to be stuck outside when it's cold & snowy.

I personally felt safer in Minnesota driving than I do here. A lot of folks don't remember (?) To use there blinkers & just turn. In the short time I've been here I have avoided a LOT of accidents.

It does keep me on my toes though.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
I washed and detailed my Jeep since it's so warm out. It will definitely snow now!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
^^^Yes, Jim, you will have made it snow!

Worried about the snow tomorrow because I was supposed to drive two or more hours to get to Boston to help a cousin. But then I called a dental office and the guy was from upstate NY and he started talking about the year they got 16 feet of snow in one night! (I think it was 16'--maybe that included the drifting.) He said it was back in college and the college strung ropes between the buildings so that people could get around by hanging onto the ropes. At first I was wondering if he was going to say "Tight rope walking" on those ropes.

No, I can't quite picture what he was describing. Anyway, we're only expecting around 6-8" overnight but I am still sick of winter and being cold all the time. It feels like snow and it smells like snow. Snow people will know what I mean.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Cold weather is dipping into FL tonight, we may see 32 degrees tonight after 69 degrees this afternoon. It will start warming up after tomorrow. Iíll pull in my tomato, bush cucumber and a Thai red pepper plant; all are producing right now.

I have a mango tree I planted in the fall that requires some TLC before it grows to be more cold tolerant. I zip-tied three of my dried bamboo poles into a teepee shape as a frame to put a sheet on tonight to protect it. The mango has five flower buds I need to pinch off to send energy to the tree instead of the fruit this first year. You have no idea how much I want to let it fruit, but I wonít.

DH kindly hauled my bottle palm into the lanai for me, itís a beast and needs to be planted in the ground this spring.

Chat Thread-358be38c-9726-4f8f-a026-285c89dbffeb.jpeg

Old 01-17-2018, 02:44 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Jean, so happy you and your Hubby are taking care of your "baby"!!! Sounds like it will be nippy down there, the poor citrus crop must be in shambles this year. Quite the cold spell in the South right now. Friends in both AL and SC both had snow!

NYgal, did you get your car dug out? I hope it is easing up a little bit for you, weather-wise.

Jim, I hope you get a few days of nice sunshine with your freshly-washed vehicle.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
HollyhockGarden: Thankfully it has eased up a lot here where I live. I did get my car dug out, after the snow there was ice, so it was a bigger job than I anticipated. I keep asking myself why am I still living here. Well, the answer is I have no idea where else I would want to live. I don't honestly think there is any one perfect place. Each area has its perfection and its ugly side.

Currently dealing with not feeling so well, hoping it is not the flu trying to settle in. I did get the shot (always do) so am encouraged to hear if I were to get the flu I would not be as sick as I could be.

Going to be warmer this weekend. Good news!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Jim, I hope you get a few days of nice sunshine with your freshly-washed vehicle.
That's all I've had here is sunshine. I washed my Jeep so it would SNOW!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
My son's FIL passed away yesterday

Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,061,633 times
My sympathies are with your DIL, her family (including your son and any grandchildren you may have), and all who loved her father. I sincerely hope he went quickly and did not suffer.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My sympathies are with your DIL, her family (including your son and any grandchildren you may have), and all who loved her father. I sincerely hope he went quickly and did not suffer.
Thank you. He had been in the hospital with pneumonia since Jan 3rd. He lived a long life, was 97. I worked with him for about 17 years. He was always very quiet and was always a proud dad. He pulled double duty as dad and mom after his wife died 40+ year. He had lived with my son and family for the past 5ish years. My son mentioned that he seemed a bit more tired than usual this past year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement