U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 AM

30,033 posts, read 35,209,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You all need to tell me more about how you use coconut water. I have read some articles over the last year and there seem to be so many benefits to using it, but I have not researched HOW to use it.

If anyone can share some info, I would be very grateful.
You have to use in context and the app dictates that. Lenore makes awesome points about sodium and potassium shortage and overage. That's why the app is si important it tracks that along with calcium and iron which can be overdone or have a shortage of. Coconut water for the beach and warm weather physical activity can help balance things out it is a source of potassium, calcium and magnesium and can help balance out your daily intake and situational needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,603,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You have to use in context and the app dictates that. Lenore makes awesome points about sodium and potassium shortage and overage. That's why the app is si important it tracks that along with calcium and iron which can be overdone or have a shortage of. Coconut water for the beach and warm weather physical activity can help balance things out it is a source of potassium, calcium and magnesium and can help balance out your daily intake and situational needs.
So I can buy coconut water to drink? I know that sounds dumb! I just never searched for it. I thought it was something to use to substitute as an ingredient when cooking, lol.

I will definitely look for it at the grocery store!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,158,772 times
Sodium and salt are not the same thing. You can find out about the difference in nutrition books. The balance of sodium and potassium is very important, so we shouldn't think in terms of avoidance but in terms of balance.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So I can buy coconut water to drink? I know that sounds dumb! I just never searched for it. I thought it was something to use to substitute as an ingredient when cooking, lol.

I will definitely look for it at the grocery store!
Oh yeah, we get at Costco and Amazon. I have standard shipping monthly with Amazon and keep at both places and in car etc. Lenore highlighted some of the reasons why.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,158,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You got it, as a backup coconut water and even milk can do wonders to increase your count of a number of things.
Interesting and informative article on NPR:

Is The Coconut Water Craze All It's Cracked Up To Be? : The Salt : NPR

Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Very true and I have read similar. That's why it is in context of other foods and daily lifestyle. I have some nerve damage in my toes from nutritional inbalance and doing mega driving with shoes that were to tight. It was during a hectic disjointed coupe of weeks that involved stressful driving etc and working out in warm weather and being dehydrated.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Men as they age really need to pay attention to all of this and probably should still subscribe to or read Men's Health on occasion. Many of the thoughts shared here can have beneficial outcomes for men.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,115,668 times
Quote:
And so glad you mentnioned the info about the salt substitute. I think that stuff is dangerous!
Funny you should say that. We got the Kirkland Organic No Salt Seasoning a few months ago and had some mild reactions after using it a few times. Went back to our regular spices and haven't had those reactions since.

Funny to remember that when we were kids mom would give us salt tablets when we'd travel in hot, desert areas during the summer. How times have changed.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Funny you should say that. We got the Kirkland Organic No Salt Seasoning a few months ago and had some mild reactions after using it a few times. Went back to our regular spices and haven't had those reactions since.

Funny to remember that when we were kids mom would give us salt tablets when we'd travel in hot, desert areas during the summer. How times have changed.
Salt tablets were a daily football regimen in warm weather.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,115,668 times
^^^ It's things like this that make me take whatever the latest health trends may be with a grain of salt. Some of it may turn out to be good advice, other things will be debunked, and a few may even turn out to be bad for you. So, I sort of listen to the latest bits of wisdom but don't take it too much to heart. FWIW I seem to be pretty healthy just following my own common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement