Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness! Jean!!! You had cataract surgery this morning and you are posting??? I am very happy for you that things seem to be going well. Sending my best wishes for continued healing! Hoping for a quiet, restful day for you!

Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My second cataract surgery was done early this morning. Along with the cataract being removed, my astigmatism was corrected with a toric lens. I’ve always been legally blind in this eye, so I’m anxious to see what level of correction is achieved. The doctor that performed the surgery has done over 100,000 procedures and I’m already happy with the results from my first eye done last week. So far it’s been easier and better than I expected.

Mine is scheduled for next Monday. I had an appointment with my eye doctor tomorrow morning but saw him on my lunch hour today instead. I've been worried all week about my eye still being 'fuzzy/blurry' so he checked it out. He says it's the Macular Degeneration causing the problem and that it won't change. I will be getting new glasses, eventually, and hope that helps. He took the left lens out of my glasses and, oh my, it's been an adventure just walking, let alone trying to see my scanner, etc. clearly. I don't let it interfere with my job but it's not easy! I'm off the next two days so will see if I get used to not having that lens. I keep trying to adjust my glasses. lol

I hope yours is completely successful!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Mine is scheduled for next Monday. I had an appointment with my eye doctor tomorrow morning but saw him on my lunch hour today instead. I've been worried all week about my eye still being 'fuzzy/blurry' so he checked it out. He says it's the Macular Degeneration causing the problem and that it won't change. I will be getting new glasses, eventually, and hope that helps. He took the left lens out of my glasses and, oh my, it's been an adventure just walking, let alone trying to see my scanner, etc. clearly. I don't let it interfere with my job but it's not easy! I'm off the next two days so will see if I get used to not having that lens. I keep trying to adjust my glasses. lol

I hope yours is completely successful!
Dang it! Was hoping yours would go smoothly. Keep us up to date.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Received a bit of "unofficial" good news today. I had an echocardiogram this morning and while it was being performed, the tech asked me my medical history and why I was having the echo done. I told her that in addition to having a mediastinal lymphoma that was treated with chemotherapy and radiation, I also had a free-floating mass in my left ventricle. She then asked if I had had it removed. I said no, and reiterated that I had gone through chemo and radiation. I then asked her if that meant it wasn't there any more. She sort of hemmed and hawed (because we both knew that she's not supposed to discuss the results with patients) before finally saying that she didn't see anything.

I'll have to wait until Tuesday for the official results as that is when I see my cardiologist, but I'm feeling reasonably confident about the outcome. Actually, next week is the big week because in addition to Tuesday's appointment with the cardiologist, Wednesday is the PET Scan to check the status of the main tumor as well as all my organs, and then Friday is the meeting with my oncologist.

Just realized that I forgot to provide an update. My oncologist said that the PET Scan came back completely clean, with no trace of the tumors, and no unusual activity anywhere else. I, of course, was thrilled with that, so I asked him if we could start using the "R word" (for remission) or if it was too soon. His reply shocked me, but in a good way: he said that "cure has an r" and went on to add that although I will need to get CT scans every three months for at least the next year, he is 90% - 95% confident that I am cured.

So as you can imagine both I, and especially my wife, were thrilled with that. I was hoping to hear about a possible remission, and he was talking about cured. So after 8 separate hospitalizations in the past 8 months, including 4 months of chemo followed by a month of radiation, the celebratory trip to Asia is on! I've just finished packing for our flight to Singapore later today. After a few days there, we'll be boarding a two-week cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and then disembarking in Hong Kong, where we'll continue the celebration for four more nights.

We partied quite a bit in our younger days, but I think that this will be the sweetest celebration of them all.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
That's fantastic! I am absolutely ecstatic for you and your wife. Have the time of your lives on your trip. You'll remember the day the doctor gave you the good news for the rest of your life. February 16 is forever etched in my mind as the day I got the good news about my cancer - eighteen years ago as of this Friday. So now I'll think of you every February too. Congratulations!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Great news for you! ❤️

Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
That's fantastic! I am absolutely ecstatic for you and your wife. Have the time of your lives on your trip. You'll remember the day the doctor gave you the good news for the rest of your life. February 16 is forever etched in my mind as the day I got the good news about my cancer - eighteen years ago as of this Friday. So now I'll think of you every February too. Congratulations!
Thanks. And congratulations to you on your upcoming 18th anniversary!

Quote:
Great news for you! ❤️
Thx, Jean.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Just realized that I forgot to provide an update. My oncologist said that the PET Scan came back completely clean, with no trace of the tumors, and no unusual activity anywhere else. I, of course, was thrilled with that, so I asked him if we could start using the "R word" (for remission) or if it was too soon. His reply shocked me, but in a good way: he said that "cure has an r" and went on to add that although I will need to get CT scans every three months for at least the next year, he is 90% - 95% confident that I am cured.
Wonderful news! Enjoy your trip.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
My second cataract surgery was done early this morning. Along with the cataract being removed, my astigmatism was corrected with a toric lens. I’ve always been legally blind in this eye, so I’m anxious to see what level of correction is achieved. The doctor that performed the surgery has done over 100,000 procedures and I’m already happy with the results from my first eye done last week. So far it’s been easier and better than I expected.

I had my first cataract surgery yesterday, on my left eye, for monofocal distance correction. Procedure and recovery have been a piece of cake so far. Zero itching, burning, irritation. Vision was cloudy & blurry for the 1st 2-3 hours, then rapidly improved.

They checked my vision in that eye this morning and it was 20/25.
I'm especially relieved that intermediate vision is good, so I can clearly see the car dashboard, grocery store shelves, etc.

In 2 weeks they'll do my right eye for close vision, will probably be a toric lens for astigmatism.

I've worn monovision contacts for 30 years so the adjustment period to monovision IOLs should be smooth.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
So happy for you MMoB! Enjoy your trip, surely you need and deserve it after all that chemo and radiation.

AzDesert - hope your eye gets better with glasses. Happy everyone elses cataract surgery is going well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement