U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM

705 posts, read 808,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Just realized that I forgot to provide an update. My oncologist said that the PET Scan came back completely clean, with no trace of the tumors, and no unusual activity anywhere else. I, of course, was thrilled with that, so I asked him if we could start using the "R word" (for remission) or if it was too soon. His reply shocked me, but in a good way: he said that "cure has an r" and went on to add that although I will need to get CT scans every three months for at least the next year, he is 90% - 95% confident that I am cured.

So as you can imagine both I, and especially my wife, were thrilled with that. I was hoping to hear about a possible remission, and he was talking about cured. So after 8 separate hospitalizations in the past 8 months, including 4 months of chemo followed by a month of radiation, the celebratory trip to Asia is on! I've just finished packing for our flight to Singapore later today. After a few days there, we'll be boarding a two-week cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and then disembarking in Hong Kong, where we'll continue the celebration for four more nights.

We partied quite a bit in our younger days, but I think that this will be the sweetest celebration of them all.
Such wonderful news!!!! I am so happy for you. Yes, it is going to be a wonderful celebration. BTW, it seems we travel in the same circles as I noticed you over at CC. You are going to have a fabulous cruise.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
MMoB: Great news. I've very glad for you and your wife. Enjoy your trip and tell us about it when you return!! Maybe post some pictures?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Just realized that I forgot to provide an update. My oncologist said that the PET Scan came back completely clean, with no trace of the tumors, and no unusual activity anywhere else. I, of course, was thrilled with that, so I asked him if we could start using the "R word" (for remission) or if it was too soon. His reply shocked me, but in a good way: he said that "cure has an r" and went on to add that although I will need to get CT scans every three months for at least the next year, he is 90% - 95% confident that I am cured.

So as you can imagine both I, and especially my wife, were thrilled with that. I was hoping to hear about a possible remission, and he was talking about cured. So after 8 separate hospitalizations in the past 8 months, including 4 months of chemo followed by a month of radiation, the celebratory trip to Asia is on! I've just finished packing for our flight to Singapore later today. After a few days there, we'll be boarding a two-week cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and then disembarking in Hong Kong, where we'll continue the celebration for four more nights.

We partied quite a bit in our younger days, but I think that this will be the sweetest celebration of them all.

Fantastic news MMOB!!! I am thrilled and excited for you. You and your wife GO and enjoy the heck out of this trip. Lord knows you've earned it!

I have a friend who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last July. After surgery, chemo, etc. she has also been pronounced "cancer free". She was asking her doc about remissions and all that. What he told her is "Go live your life!!". And you do the same!

Big hugs to you!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Dang it! Was hoping yours would go smoothly. Keep us up to date.
Me too! I'm disappointed a bit but hoping ways will be found to combat some of this. It feels pretty weird when the eye that's been done seems worse than the one still needing it!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So happy for you MMoB! Enjoy your trip, surely you need and deserve it after all that chemo and radiation.

AzDesert - hope your eye gets better with glasses. Happy everyone elses cataract surgery is going well.

I hope so too. I'm really glad that others are having such success with their surgeries. For me, it's just the 'usual'. I'm always the 'different' one for one reason or another. lol Whatever is normal for others probably won't be for me and that's happened a lot in my life. On the bright side though, things that others often find 'difficult' are a piece of cake for me, ie healing so fast and well from a broken hip and things like that. So, I take the good and bad and just roll with it.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
AZDesertBrat[/b];51006109]Mine is scheduled for next Monday. I had an appointment with my eye doctor tomorrow morning but saw him on my lunch hour today instead. I've been worried all week about my eye still being 'fuzzy/blurry' so he checked it out. He says it's the Macular Degeneration causing the problem and that it won't change. I will be getting new glasses, eventually, and hope that helps. He took the left lens out of my glasses and, oh my, it's been an adventure just walking, let alone trying to see my scanner, etc. clearly. I don't let it interfere with my job but it's not easy! I'm off the next two days so will see if I get used to not having that lens. I keep trying to adjust my glasses. lol

I hope yours is completely successful!
I had my cataracts done during glaucoma surgery, right in Nov. 2010 and left Jan. 2011.

I had similar things happen to me. I really thought my vision would be "perfect" but it's not. My right eye has always been my problem eye, I have the wandering eye (muscle problem). After the cataract and glaucoma surgery, I also have a problem with the back of the eye swelling which distorts my vision from it. My eye doctor does not give me any "hope" that it will get better and I am truthfully very disappointed with that. I've gotten shots in that eye several times, laser treatments, etc. It saddens me to think that the cataract surgery did this, tho it has never been discussed as such. When I read those charts to see the smallest letters my eyes can see, I'm told the vision comes out almost perfect. How can that be?

I do not always accept things as I am told they are. So I don't know if my attitude about this is realistic or not.

My eye doctor is supposed to be one of the best. So how do I know if there is someone better out there now?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I had my cataracts done during glaucoma surgery, right in Nov. 2010 and left Jan. 2011.

I had similar things happen to me. I really thought my vision would be "perfect" but it's not. My right eye has always been my problem eye, I have the wandering eye (muscle problem). After the cataract and glaucoma surgery, I also have a problem with the back of the eye swelling which distorts my vision from it. My eye doctor does not give me any "hope" that it will get better and I am truthfully very disappointed with that. I've gotten shots in that eye several times, laser treatments, etc. It saddens me to think that the cataract surgery did this, tho it has never been discussed as such. When I read those charts to see the smallest letters my eyes can see, I'm told the vision comes out almost perfect. How can that be?

I do not always accept things as I am told they are. So I don't know if my attitude about this is realistic or not.

My eye doctor is supposed to be one of the best. So how do I know if there is someone better out there now?

I'm sorry you have those problems but it makes me feel not quite so 'alone' in it. I have a hard time with those charts too. Yesterday I could barely read the TOP line, or the second one, and just forget the rest. He kept asking me which slide was "better" but I told him they looked so close to the same I really couldn't say. He says my eyesight is 20/50 at this point. I know 20/20 is 'ideal' so it's not right yet.

My left eye has always been the 'problem eye'. Then two years ago my doctor thinks I might have had a mini stroke when I was so sick with pneumonia. The lid droops but Medicare says it "isn't bad enough" to do the surgery to correct it. Well, I think it is because if I can manage to open it really wide things ARE a tad clearer. They could have fixed it during the cataract surgery if it had been approved. I'm going to broach the subject again next time I go in.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM

AZDesertBrat: Before my cataract/glaucoma surgery, I had to have cuts made into the outside corners of my eyes so the surgeon could see enough of the upper white of the eye. When all the surgeries were finished, I had droopy lids, too, both sides. Because my surgeon submitted to my insurance that my vision was affected by this, I got approval to have lid lifts on both eyes. Maybe your surgeon could help you with that.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
AZDesertBrat: Before my cataract/glaucoma surgery, I had to have cuts made into the outside corners of my eyes so the surgeon could see enough of the upper white of the eye. When all the surgeries were finished, I had droopy lids, too, both sides. Because my surgeon submitted to my insurance that my vision was affected by this, I got approval to have lid lifts on both eyes. Maybe your surgeon could help you with that.

I'm thinking 'maybe' so I will be talking to him about it. They did some tests and pronounced it "not bad enough". I did TOO well on the tests. Well, I didn't KNOW I was supposed to do badly! Anytime someone says "test" I try to do my best. If they test me again I won't do good!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm thinking 'maybe' so I will be talking to him about it. They did some tests and pronounced it "not bad enough". I did TOO well on the tests. Well, I didn't KNOW I was supposed to do badly! Anytime someone says "test" I try to do my best. If they test me again I won't do good!

I think it depends on your doctor to go to bat for you. Good luck at your next appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement