U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 AM
 
28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Reputation: 36986

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ok I've got egg on my face My old computer does indeed work and I've got my files *does happy dance* The problem was that my video card died. Since I had to get a new monitor cord to connect my monitor to the new computer (different pin connection), I woke up thinking "maybe it booted and you didn't see it." This in fact was the case! I now have my files backed up to my external hard drive too

So very relieved that I'm back using Windows 7 - I absolutely hated Windows 10! All of my Skype contacts were gone, and Win10 won't allow you to use an older version of Skype!
As a computer tech my mantra was, "Persistence pays". Yes, yes it does.

Congratulations!

 
Old 02-17-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Reputation: 11779
OK then I am going to HD and Lowes to see what they have . I need 2 trees, big ones, to block the apts. next to me. And a very big bush to block the nasty man on one side of me. Today I went to a gardening class at the local nursery. Good grief. More than 100 people ,all newcomers, showed up for the class. Is everyone moving here? The numbers of those from CA were astounding.

That nursery is nice, but way too expensive for my budget. Hoping the big boxes got some stock in.
 
Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Reputation: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
As a computer tech my mantra was, "Persistence pays". Yes, yes it does.

Congratulations!
Thanks! Just so dang relieved!
 
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Luckily, I did cite some sources towards the end so I just need to take the time to go back through this info.

Hope your eyes are faring better. I know this is something I need to consider doing soon so have been reading the cataract thread when I have time.

I bet your are relieved! Read ahead and saw that things are "okay". Yay!!


As for me...I'm okay. I'll survive. Monday is the 'big day' for eye #2. At least I don't have to be there so early this time. Not till 9:45 but that means just longer till I can have my coffee!! lol
 
Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
OK then I am going to HD and Lowes to see what they have . I need 2 trees, big ones, to block the apts. next to me. And a very big bush to block the nasty man on one side of me. Today I went to a gardening class at the local nursery. Good grief. More than 100 people ,all newcomers, showed up for the class. Is everyone moving here? The numbers of those from CA were astounding.

That nursery is nice, but way too expensive for my budget. Hoping the big boxes got some stock in.

Did you go to that nursery out on Iron Springs Road? Can't remember the name but it's a big one. I was going to buy some things there, when I lived up the street from them, but they were too expensive for my budget.


Don't know about the other Walmart stores but ours is selling the spring flowers like crazy!


So, it isn't a myth that Prescott is being overrun by Californians?? All retirees??
 
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Reputation: 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Did you go to that nursery out on Iron Springs Road? Can't remember the name but it's a big one. I was going to buy some things there, when I lived up the street from them, but they were too expensive for my budget.


Don't know about the other Walmart stores but ours is selling the spring flowers like crazy!


So, it isn't a myth that Prescott is being overrun by Californians?? All retirees??
Yes, it's true. About 20 people at the gardening seminar at Watters sheepishly raised their hands that they migrated from CA. And I went to Lowes and HD yesterday and still no nursery stock. The guy said it's still too cold here and flowers won't survive. So, it must be warmer where you are???
 
Old 02-18-2018, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yes, it's true. About 20 people at the gardening seminar at Watters sheepishly raised their hands that they migrated from CA. And I went to Lowes and HD yesterday and still no nursery stock. The guy said it's still too cold here and flowers won't survive. So, it must be warmer where you are???

It's a little warmer here, yes. Just checked online and it's 64 here and 51 in Prescott. We are about 1500 ft. lower than you are but I didn't think it made THAT much difference. Maybe so! We are still having some very chilly mornings but the afternoons have been really nice. I lived in Prescott for about five years and liked the weather there a lot. Even winter.
 
Old 02-19-2018, 07:59 AM
 
8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Reputation: 10616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well looks like I am moving at the end of March to a small cabin at 7,500 feet elevation near a mountain town of 2,000. It's at the end of a road, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. There were deer curled up sleeping in the yard when I looked at it (they looked up and went back to sleep) and was told elk and turkeys always wander by in the evening. Wood floors, wood burning stove and trees, lots of trees some fruit trees and nice shade. It's very cozy and is my style of home. Still close to family too, and within 10 minutes of being at 10,000 feet and some of my favorite fishing spots. Rent is the same as here with an option to purchase. The dogs will have to adjust to not chasing everything that moves, and they will. Finally I am out of this miserable place!
That's wonderful! Maybe there is hope for me yet.
 
Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well looks like I am moving at the end of March to a small cabin at 7,500 feet elevation near a mountain town of 2,000. It's at the end of a road, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. There were deer curled up sleeping in the yard when I looked at it (they looked up and went back to sleep) and was told elk and turkeys always wander by in the evening. Wood floors, wood burning stove and trees, lots of trees some fruit trees and nice shade. It's very cozy and is my style of home. Still close to family too, and within 10 minutes of being at 10,000 feet and some of my favorite fishing spots. Rent is the same as here with an option to purchase. The dogs will have to adjust to not chasing everything that moves, and they will. Finally I am out of this miserable place!
I am so happy for you. I didn't want to say too much while you were down about life but I went through a miserable few years & when life finally got better I was so grateful! I'll never forget those bad years & I remain grateful every day.

It sounds like you found your 'sweet spot'.
 
Old 02-19-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Reputation: 11779
The wind is howling here like being in a blizzard. Only, no snow. I guess north of us in Flagstaff is where the snow will go. And I thought spring had already sprung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top