U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 01:36 PM

2,021 posts, read 2,735,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well looks like I am moving at the end of March to a small cabin at 7,500 feet elevation near a mountain town of 2,000. It's at the end of a road, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. There were deer curled up sleeping in the yard when I looked at it (they looked up and went back to sleep) and was told elk and turkeys always wander by in the evening. Wood floors, wood burning stove and trees, lots of trees some fruit trees and nice shade. It's very cozy and is my style of home. Still close to family too, and within 10 minutes of being at 10,000 feet and some of my favorite fishing spots. Rent is the same as here with an option to purchase. The dogs will have to adjust to not chasing everything that moves, and they will. Finally I am out of this miserable place!
Congratulations, jim9251! It is wonderful to read that you will move to a place that is a much better fit for you. It sounds lovely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:36 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
Raining here. Dismal depressing day out there.

I am also enjoying the winter Olympics. I like almost all of it. Never really cared for hockey (but I do remember the joy when US won the medal..... can't remember the year tho). Snowboarding.... oh if only I had the courage (and the youth). It looks so fun! And skiing. Never did downhill, attempted X-country but did not do well at that. Lack of coordination or something.

I do not get the NBCsn channel, either. It seems no matter what you are watching, Olympics or regular TV, the ads have increased. I can't believe how they go from one to another to another..... what? 4-5 minutes worth of ads every 10 minutes. Somebody must be rolling in the dough. It's not me.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
I wish I could make up my mind! This time of year with this weather, I feel tired a lot, don't get much done (and it sure shows it), hibernate, and feel like a zombie. And when I contemplate moving? Oh no, too much work, how can I ever go through that again. I've moved several times, none of them were easy.

But I know when spring and summer get here, I will wish I was doing it, moving to an area I believe I'd like to live in. My first inclination to move somewhere came a while ago, just before I got into C-D. I wanted to move to NC, mainly western area, near or in the mountains. I drove there several times and looked around, put deposits down on a few apartments, never moved. I got discouraged because I read how expensive it is to live there. And it is. During one of my visits, I stayed in Boone overnight. Someone mentioned I would never "make it" there if my car wasn't a 4-wheel drive for winter driving.

I received a P.M. from a poster I had chatted with before a while ago who asked me if I was still thinking of moving there. She mentioned some towns that would be worth looking at. Yes, I found one. Burnsville. They have a really nice website and it appears they have a lot of what I would like. It's a small town, much within walking distance. I think I need to take a ride and check it out soon. It is close enough to TN where it seems the COL is more reasonable and not far from Burnsville.

I've also chatted with a poster who lives in Ohio in what looks like a nice area but of course weather would be very similar to what I have right here in Central NY state. I also want to take a ride to see what is there.

And chatted with someone in AZ who has written glowing reports about her area, how pretty, etc. I thought about that, too, but realistically feel AZ is too far from here, and I am familiar with "here."

I'd like to think if I moved I would break the bad habits I've learned while living here.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The wind is howling here like being in a blizzard. Only, no snow. I guess north of us in Flagstaff is where the snow will go. And I thought spring had already sprung.
I've had to up my font size to 300 just to be able to read here! Can't wait to go back to smaller.

The wind blew HARD all night here. When my dd came in last night she didn't shut the inside door tight and when I woke up the door was wide open! I wondered why I kept being woke up by all the wind chimes I have out there. No snow on Mingus Mtn. so it must not be cold. It was 51 when I got up.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Cool front even has gone through in Phoenix, cloudy, cooler and breezy today down here. Snow in higher AZ locations.

Jim, batten down the hatches and carry-on! Glad the end is in sight for you, home-wise.

AzGarden -- Glad you got to go to the gardening class! I would consider driving into the older part of Prescott, parking the car, and taking a walk around and look at the older, established gardens to see what has lasted. This is something you could do several times a year, to see what is blooming. Lots of ideas in the city parks, too.

AZDesertBrat -- Saying a prayer for you; I hope everything goes smoothly for you today.

So far, so good here. Surgery was easy peasy, again, but I can't see worth a darn. The patch doesn't help, of course, so I'll see how it is in the morning. I sure hope it's better than the left one. I can see the TV pretty well but, unfortunately, there's not much I want to watch. I sure can't read! lol My font is set to 300 so I can read and write here but....

Wanted to take a nap but my right eye wouldn't close! lol It's okay now so my nap is waiting.

Have a follow up appointment with my optometrist in the morning and it'll be interesting to find out what my vision is now. Left eye is still 20\50 and likely will stay that way till I get new glasses. I won't be wearing glasses for MONTH so don't know how it's going to go at work. The last two weeks were rough at times.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:39 PM

4,718 posts, read 4,614,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I do not get the NBCsn channel, either. It seems no matter what you are watching, Olympics or regular TV, the ads have increased. I can't believe how they go from one to another to another..... what? 4-5 minutes worth of ads every 10 minutes.
I gave up commercial television about fifteen years ago and satellite television about seven years ago. In a way, I'm missing out because when people talk about some program . . . I'm clueless. But, no more commercials!

I do have a Roku where I subscribe to Netflix. And, I used to watch a lot of YouTube videos, such as the TED talks, international rugby, some Hallmark movies, and special interest things, like cycling. However, now that Google has purchased YouTube, they are starting to show commercials throughout a video. At least you can click through them after about five seconds. I hook my computer up to the television to get the 'big screen' experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I wish I could make up my mind! This time of year with this weather, I feel tired a lot, don't get much done (and it sure shows it), hibernate, and feel like a zombie. And when I contemplate moving? Oh no, too much work, how can I ever go through that again. I've moved several times, none of them were easy.

But I know when spring and summer get here, I will wish I was doing it, moving to an area I believe I'd like to live in. My first inclination to move somewhere came a while ago, just before I got into C-D...
It appears to me that you are not quite to the point where you are emotionally ready to move somewhere else. Somewhere new and different to you. You are correct. Moving is very stressful and difficult. It took me nine months to fully move last year after I retired. My retirement home is a new place for me. I grew up and lived my entire life within about 100 miles of where I was born. Then after retirement, I move over 1,200 miles away from what is familiar to me.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. Oh sure, there are some difficult things. Like today is in the low 20's and there is a nice, thick sheen of ice at the bottom of my driveway where the melted water from my heated driveway settled, then froze. Driving on snow and ice has turned out to be a non-issue for me. The cold has not bothered me either, however I wish it were twenty degrees warmer for my bike rides.

I look at my new retirement home as an adventure. It's really beautiful here in North Idaho. Today is sunny, and it has lifted my spirits tremendously. Can hardly wait for late Spring/Summer/early Autumn. Those are going to be glorious days full of new adventures and experiences.

You will know when you're ready to move. Thinking about where now is wise. It's a long process deciding where you want to go.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM

28,411 posts, read 40,290,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I gave up commercial television about fifteen years ago and satellite television about seven years ago. In a way, I'm missing out because when people talk about some program . . . I'm clueless. But, no more commercials!

I do have a Roku where I subscribe to Netflix. And, I used to watch a lot of YouTube videos, such as the TED talks, international rugby, some Hallmark movies, and special interest things, like cycling. However, now that Google has purchased YouTube, they are starting to show commercials throughout a video. At least you can click through them after about five seconds. I hook my computer up to the television to get the 'big screen' experience.

It appears to me that you are not quite to the point where you are emotionally ready to move somewhere else. Somewhere new and different to you. You are correct. Moving is very stressful and difficult. It took me nine months to fully move last year after I retired. My retirement home is a new place for me. I grew up and lived my entire life within about 100 miles of where I was born. Then after retirement, I move over 1,200 miles away from what is familiar to me.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. Oh sure, there are some difficult things. Like today is in the low 20's and there is a nice, thick sheen of ice at the bottom of my driveway where the melted water from my heated driveway settled, then froze. Driving on snow and ice has turned out to be a non-issue for me. The cold has not bothered me either, however I wish it were twenty degrees warmer for my bike rides.

I look at my new retirement home as an adventure. It's really beautiful here in North Idaho. Today is sunny, and it has lifted my spirits tremendously. Can hardly wait for late Spring/Summer/early Autumn. Those are going to be glorious days full of new adventures and experiences.

You will know when you're ready to move. Thinking about where now is wise. It's a long process deciding where you want to go.
For me it was 15 miles. At age 66 we moved 1400 miles. It's different here.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For me it was 15 miles. At age 66 we moved 1400 miles. It's different here.
I moved from Minnesota to Arizona. It is very different here. I had to chuckle when the nurse called my old pharmacy to verify prescriptions & I overheard her say,"They are so rude."

I explained to the NP I was seeing, who it turned out was from Chicago, that Minnesota was in the middle of a snowstorm & receiving a call from Arizona probably did not make them happy.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,701 times
Sleet and thunder tonight

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM

11,198 posts, read 12,673,229 times
Woke up to 18 degrees and 2" of snow on the ground still snowing. A good morning for biscuits and gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement