U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 PM

28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times

Advertisements

I think those who should be making sure PR is taken care of say, "Puerto who"? Very disturbing that it's not being dealt with as it should be.

And thoughts to those on the east coast. Dang!!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Almost makes me feel guilty about being in Arizona. Minnesota's been hit hard too. Not like the East coastal region though. And certainly not like PR.

Prayers to all.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
PR still has a big area where the power has not been restored.

Shameful.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:56 PM

I do not miss those winters at all.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Aw common - it's absolutely delightful~~if~~you don't have to go to work in the a.m.

Started with rain - then sleet -(no hail) - then snow. It's not complete without wet smelly dogs. They don't really smell but imagine if they did.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Umbria, you have such a delightful sense of humor. I enjoy your posts.

Actually, we did get some snow flurries here. Lasted 1/2 an hour or so & melted by afternoon, but it was definitely snow.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
You are so lucky to be gone. Hope you're lovin AZ.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Aw common - it's absolutely delightful~~if~~you don't have to go to work in the a.m.

Started with rain - then sleet -(no hail) - then snow. It's not complete without wet smelly dogs. They don't really smell but imagine if they did.
I got tired of the cold. Of being worried about falling. About someone who just moved from Las Vegas (lol) t-boning us because snow. And coughing non-stop because dead diaphragm damaged lung hates cold air.

Ya gotta love frozen rain covered with snow. Right rotator cuff enjoyed it in 1999. Stupid ice.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
We have a guy with a snowplow on his truck that comes around to clean up the parking lot where I live. But nobody puts salt anywhere, not even in front of the entry/exit door. Many a time I've gone out only to feel my feet start to slide. It's pretty scary. At one time salt was used out there. Not anymore.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,184,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Trying to tough it out here. No heat, no electric, horrible cell service, limited data access via internet. Electric is expected to be accessible March 7th, 12:00 a. m. IOW, the company has no clue. 72 hrs +, thus far. That said, could be worse. I’m not wading through icy water.
We also lost power for 3 days. The snow storm and power outage could not have happened at a worser time.

It was extremely difficult to try to sort and pack in a cold and dark house with no electricity and running water. The fireplace kept the house at 50F during the day while we were packing. We survived on bottled and storage container water, bread/cheese and wine ;-) We even managed to boil some water in the fireplace to make coffee with the French press and warmed pastries on cast iron grill over the fire.

We toughed it out one night with thermal underwears, wool caps under piles of blankets/comforters (could not get out of the house anyway with half a foot of wet/heavy snow on the long driveway). It was doable but not very comfortable so we took the offer of a friend to stay at their house last weekend for a warm bed and hot shower in the evenings.

Now that the power is back, we are working like mad to finish up the packing to be ready for the mover on Friday. I may have to pull few all nighters. We are supposedly to have another big snow storm on Wednesday. I could only cross my fingers for no more power outages.

I am also glad internet connection is back for us to take care of all the moving and house buying logistics with movers,haulers, banks, title companies, insurance and various financial institutions.

We did not get to video chat with my daughter until last night to learn about all the major hurdles, obstacles and challenges she is facing trying to get the best option for her bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgeries. All the in-network surgeons did not want to perform the surgery recommended by her oncologist surgeon. The insurance company denied her petition for them to pay for a local out-of-network surgeon. She will have to travel 5-6 hrs to Utah for the in-network surgeons. It is not just the surgery but all the follow-ups which can be many if there are complications.

Well, we can only hope and pray for the best. We are glad that the move will be over in a week and we will be in Boise to help our daughter with transportation and post surgery care. The closing is on March 15 but we plan to stay with our daughter (be it in a long-stay motel in Utah or at her house) for few weeks or more before unpacking and moving our new home.

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-06-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement