U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 PM

28,415 posts, read 40,304,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Well, the second nor'easter hit us yesterday and it was worse than earlier predictions. We got at least a foot of wet heavy snow.

Knowing the moving trailer would be delivered today, we went out and tried to clear the accumulated snow (about 8 inches) before it got dark last night. It took us 2 hours to snowblowed and shoveled the driveway. I worked in the dark for another hour to shovel the packed snow (from the road snowplow) in front of the driveway. Actually, I had to push a shovel at a time to the edge of the driveway then lifted small chunks over the snow banks!

As exhausted as we were, we had no choice but to continue with the packing until about midnight. This morning, I woke up at 6:30am and found at least another 4 inches of snow and 2 feet of packed snow/ice in front of the driveway. After a quick breakfast, we went out again and worked like slave labors to make sure the driveway is clear for the trailer. Another 2.5hrs were spent on snow cleaning instead of packing.
Now that you're leaving I can tell you I did when I lived in snow country. This assumes you get to the driveway before the plows come by of course. Clean the street in front of the curb to left of your driveway. As far up the street as you possibly can. Out at least two to three feet. What this accomplishes is that the snow in front of the blade on the plow hits that clear area and dumps some, if not all, of the snow built up the onto the parking before it gets to your driveway.

If I had realized what was going on sooner I''d have said something. My bad.

Now that all the bad is gone you only had good left for the move.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,183,833 times
Finally, we got some good news.

Our movers suggested to delay the move to Saturday so we gain back 24 hours to finish the packing. I don't have to pull an all nighter today.

I just got a fantastic news from my daughter. Below is her message:

Quote:
Well that was quick, my care manager at Select Health just called and said my appeal has been approved!

He said that was the fastest he has ever seen the appeals process get resolved. I have been so impressed with Select Health so far, even though there have been hurdles the people I have contacted have been trying to help me from every angle and they pulled through. I couldn't be happier with my insurance company right now.

Now I can stay home and have surgery here in Boise with the surgeons that I wanted! Yay!

Old 03-08-2018, 02:37 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Finally, we got some good news.

Our movers suggested to delay the move to Saturday so we gain back 24 hours to finish the packing. I don't have to pull an all nighter today.

I just got a fantastic news from my daughter. Below is her message:

Wonderful news for both of you. Takes a burden off your shoulders that should not have been there in the first place. When I read what other people are dealing with, I realize how fortunate I am.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 PM

28,415 posts, read 40,304,533 times
A chance to catch your breath and such good news for your daughter.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
It must have been when you did the Scarlett O'Hara thing - shook the packing tape at the move Gods and said: "As God is my witness - I will never move during a Noreaster again".

Get a good night's sleep and good news about your daughter - now you can be right there to help her.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 AM

1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
Very glad to hear this news, Bella! Especially the part about the insurance appeal being approved. So this is now Saturday and it must be moving day. Praying everything goes smoothly.

I hope tonight, you and your Hubby can get a good night's rest in a comfortable hotel bed. You both must be exhausted! I am praying for you. Sending a gentle hug, Bella!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 AM

Feeling a bit nervous today. I've never had a close relationship with any of my mother's or father's family. But did have occasional get-togethers with those in my Mom's family. So sad to think of all the years that have slipped by. Death pulls the final curtain on some relationships. Never knew where my place was in any situation.

Recently one of that distant family has passed away. I haven't seen any of them in over 30 years. But I have managed to stay in touch with a few of her kids on Facebook. The calling hours/service are later this afternoon about an hour's drive from here. I want to go but am afraid to go. I feel like I'll be invisible if I go. I wonder if a relative who lives in FL will be there. The FL relative and I aren't on good terms. I went there when his wife was terminal to see her for a last time not realizing how very sick their daughter was, too. Also terminal. I don't know why, but when their time came, I reacted so inappropriately (IMO). I've sent cards and messages, even a letter with no response from him. I'm afraid if he is there I will be rejected.

I know, I know...... this is about the woman's family who are suffering now from losing her. I need to get the focus off my fears. It's not about me. But wish I could find some inner peace, no matter how this goes.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
A teenage niece is having problems with her mother so I spend the day listening.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 AM

8,319 posts, read 12,071,104 times
Back home after an exhausting 24-hour trip from Hong Kong and trying to get over the jet lag caused by the 13-hour time difference. I was actually fine the first day back, but it really hit me hard yesterday and today.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 AM

MMoB: Welcome home!! Take it easy, give yourself time to recoup. It will all still be there tomorrow. Or next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement