U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Public bathing facilities are notorious for fungal infections as well as worse. I have heard of people who were covered with sores as well as a result of spending time in gyms.

Stay out of these places; stay healthy.

And stay smelling nice. Suppurating sores smell bad.
Geeeez, Wyoming, you are in a strange mood tonight. YUCK.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Geeeez, Wyoming, you are in a strange mood tonight. YUCK.
I'm always opposed to unsanitary behavior. Aren't you?

Physical culture has always been associated with this.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Can we take a moment to discuss whether or not we want to have political topics on this forum? And if so, do we want to create a sticky for that purpose?

As most of you know, I'm strongly against the idea of discussing national politics here. I'm a little more ok with discussing local politics, but think it's a big mistake to go beyond that or to discuss general politics (like "which state is blue" types of threads). Political threads draw trolls, as well as posters who aren't retirees who will end up hijacking our forum as the newest place to get into heated debates over general issues. Aren't there already enough places to do that on the internet and here on city-data? Do we really have to become yet another site for that?

I get it that people want to escape the nastiness of POC and think they could create a safe place to debate here--but the problem is you draw in people who bring that nastiness with them.

At the same time, politics is a hot topic. if you guys really want to go down this road maybe we could make it work by making a sticky called "Political Threads Pertaining To Retirement." If we could keep all the political talk in a sticky, we would avoid having threads with political titles--it's the thread titles that draw the trolls more than anything else.

What do you think? Using the sticky could be a compromise that would make everyone happy (or at least a little bit happy). I know I've been working on updating our practical links sticky, but I would be more than happy to toss it all in the garbage for a reason like this. If we created a political topics sticky, then the people who want political chat would have a place for it here while still having it quarantined (at least a little). That way the rest of the Retirement Forum would still be a place to talk about retirement.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-24-2013 at 05:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
There's "politics" and there's issues that are political that directly affect seniors, such as taxing, SS, Medicare, healthcare in general, etc. Of course discussing these issues is going to bring in nastiness about our current or next administration, and I don't see any way around that inevitability.

As for stickies, these should be issues we want to get to right away. I still have not ventured into the separated Medicare forum, even though it's easy to get there. I would much, much rather have stickies within the Retirement forum on Retirement Finance and Senior Healthcare, allowing these to be chat rooms. I don't want to go looking for these in other forums. I want to see these threads immediately when I open "Retirement."

That said, if professionally I were making an outline of a structured forum for Senior Issues ("all things senior"), I would approach it much differently.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
A great facial care product are Japanese Black Pearl Masks and masks from the same related product line. We get them from Amazon and they are well recommended by other reviewers.
The wife part of my Acupuncture team uses them with some of her clients. You keep them on for half hour and it is a great time yo kick back and let your body and mind heal.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 AM

I've been discussing the Tips sticky with earlyretirement (our new mod) and we were aiming for July 7th to post the update. So if y'all want to create a political topics sticky instead, this is the right time to do so.

You know, I'm actually ok with discussing a specific retirement issue that also happens to be political. Social security issues, for example. What seems dangerous to me are threads about presidential candidates or threads like "Which is the best blue state." That crosses a line for me (and even more so because it was a 5 year old thread being bumped, not to mention a thread started by a "drive by" person who posted a question and then was never seen since.)

Then again, maybe I'm in the minority. If the rest of you really want to go this direction it's cool--but if so could someone send me a DM with suggestions of another web site to go to? I need a place where retirees chat about retirement issues, but general political discussions are avoided.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 AM

NEG: No, I wouldn't set up the forum the way it has been set up (format of content) if I were in charge, but it is what it is and so here we are, lol.

CALADIUM: I think it is best to leave political ideology out of the forum.

Now, to ramble a bit . . .

I have come to think of all of you as my neighbors. I come to the forum and it is as though I were walking down the street in the morning. I never know who will be out and about; I never know what thoughts might be on folks' minds.

To me, I am stopping along my walk and having chats with various of my neighbors who are in the state of mind to offer some info, clarify a thought, ask my opinion on something (may be something amusing, may be something serious, or sad, or difficult to think about).

I respect everyone, no matter how differently each person may approach life or think about their own lives than do I. I always recognize that we aren't from the same exact cultures, we didn't attend the same schools, we have not held the same types of jobs, we may have a 20 or more year spread in our ages.

Each person has something to contribute. Political issues (meaning -- issues affected by federal or state politics, such as Medicare or prescription drugs) may come up. I don't mind discussing those things at all. Even if I rabidly detest a particular politician, we don't have to bring specific personalities to the table. However, if it is legislation, sometimes that just happens. I save my accurate-but-mean spirited (and yes, I do that!) remarks for the POC forum.

I think the best place to have open-ended discussion is right here in the Chat Thread!

I am not one for much moderating . . . let people say what they want . . . but in regular threads, when baiting goes on (and it surely can!) . . . a MOD often has to step in. Being by far the most sane and mature group on the forum, lol, that rarely happens - we are "self-moderating" for the most part. Which brings us to Caladium's point about seeing things "ruined" by having folks come to this forum to interject in threads when they are neither retired nor planning for retirement.

I don't want folks to feel this is a "closed" members-only forum (and I don't think that is what Caladium meant). But we run the risk of making it FEEL that way if we "regulars" are not careful with our responses. I had an awful experience on one section of the forum recently and ended up feeling not only disrespected, but dismissed, and I know it was b/c the "regulars" have their usual "line" they use to berate newcomers who aren't marching to their particular message. That was not helpful. I mentioned my same questions here and got real help and support.

So I think we walk a fine line with comfort zone in re: to new or occasional posters. And we can't make assumptions. If someone really is a troll, report them! Otherwise, I think it is up to us, to self-moderate to some degree, in the sense of bringing the topic gently back to where it belongs or by letting the thread just die.

PS> I don't think we need a sticky about political issues. I think Chat works beautifully for "whatever" and the nice thing is - we can change the subject at the blink of an eye. That is a good thing!!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't want folks to feel this is a "closed" members-only forum (and I don't think that is what Caladium meant).
Totally respect that, but feel differently. Since you were wondering what I meant, I don't want it to be "closed" but yes I do want this forum to be "members only" if by members only we mean we only have retirees and people who want to discuss retirement issues. If we're not going to be that way, why even have different forums?

Just like the cooking forums are members only in that the threads there are only about cooking, not political candidates. And the football forum is for talking about football, not politics. Etc. In the same way I really, really do think this forum needs to be reserved for discussing retirement and/or for retirees to have a place to discuss issues that have a particular "senior" slant. And if people want to discuss a general topic, we have the chat thread. Or we could possibly make a sticky as a place to send any political threads that get started here. That way the threads could exist yet be quarantined.

Every other forum is mostly inhabited by younger people, and too often on other forums I see anyone from the over 55 crowd made to feel unwelcome--this is the one place we have to talk to other people our age, so no, I don't want to see this forum opened up to general issues being discussed by people of all ages. They have enough other places to do that, they don't need our forum too.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-24-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Totally respect that, but feel differently. Since you were wondering what I meant, I don't want it to be "closed" but yes I do want this forum to be "members only" if by members only we mean we only have retirees and people who want to discuss retirement issues. If we're not going to be that way, why even have different forums?

Just like the cooking forums are members only in that the threads there are only about cooking, not political candidates. And the football forum is for talking about football, not politics. Etc. In the same way I really, really do think this forum needs to be reserved for discussing retirement and/or for retirees to have a place to discuss issues that have a particular "senior" slant. And if people want to discuss a general topic, we have the chat thread. Or we could possibly make a sticky as a place to send any political threads that get started here. That way the threads could exist yet be quarantined.

Every other forum is mostly inhabited by younger people, and too often on other forums I see anyone from the over 55 crowd made to feel unwelcome--this is the one place we have to talk to other people out age, so I don't really want to see this forum opened up to general discussions for people of all ages.
Totally agree with your definition of who should and shouldn't be posting here. It is a Retirement section and it should be folks who are either planning on retirement, semi-retired or retired. The exception might be someone who is asking questions in re: to an elderly parent or friend.

I was referring to the attitude I have felt on other forums (two in particular) where longtime posters on those forums have formed somewhat a "clique" and if anyone wanders in who isn't a "regular" . . . they close ranks.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM

(editing to note: what I wrote below isn't a response to Ani--I didn't press the "send" button in time and ended up posting at the same time she did. Ooops. Hope this doesn't sound like a rebuttal to what she just wrote--I like her post quite a bit. But I also like this post, so I'm leaving it unedited, just amended with a note saying it's an addendum to what I said earlier not a rebuttal to Ani. )

As an analogy, my community has lots of fitness classes. We have neighborhood groups, we have a Y, we have community centers, we have baseball fields and playgrounds and school gyms open during the summer for exercise groups. Lots and lots of places for the teens to work out and be a little rowdy with their friends. Yet for some reason they periodically want to work out in the senior center, too.

I don't know why they aren't satisfied with their own gym, maybe they just want a change of scenery, but the answer is "the senior center is for 55+ only." I'm sorry if that makes us sound "members only" but it's necessary. Teens mean well but they quickly take over your gym then the seniors have no place to go at all.

Forums are the same way, IMO.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-24-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement