U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 PM

13,450 posts, read 25,855,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We had our 20 year old Siamese put down today. She had been the sweetest cat we ever owned; no biting, scratching or hissing ever from her. She was the antithesis of the usual Siamese stereotype. She was focal, but not overly so, and she had the most beautiful blue eyes and contented purr. We both are feeling flat and sad tonight.
I have lost many senior dogs, and only two that I had since puppyhood. They are such a part of one's daily life, whether they come to you early or late. Twenty years is a good long life and I'm sure she was a very happy girl. RIP, sweetie.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
We had our 20 year old Siamese put down today. She had been the sweetest cat we ever owned; no biting, scratching or hissing ever from her. She was the antithesis of the usual Siamese stereotype. She was focal, but not overly so, and she had the most beautiful blue eyes and contented purr. We both are feeling flat and sad tonight.
I am sincerely and deeply sorry for your having to put down such a wonderful non-human family member.
I can honestly say the winter night we had to put down our 33 yr old Arabian Mare (broken hip), was one of the saddest times in my life.............our only child grew up with that horse!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 PM

28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Quote:
Condolences. Losing a member of one's family is tough. 20 years though. A nice long life. Sounds like she was blessed to have your family around her.

What was her name?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have lost many senior dogs, and only two that I had since puppyhood. They are such a part of one's daily life, whether they come to you early or late. Twenty years is a good long life and I'm sure she was a very happy girl. RIP, sweetie.
Thank you. We’ve had rescues/strays and and kittens/puppies through the years and all of them found their way into our hearts, no matter how they came to us.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I am sincerely and deeply sorry for your having to put down such a wonderful non-human family member.
I can honestly say the winter night we had to put down our 33 yr old Arabian Mare (broken hip), was one of the saddest times in my life.............our only child grew up with that horse!
33 years is a seriously long part of your life with so many memories entwined with your entire family, it wouldn’t be easy. Thank your for the sympathy. It’s amazing how the years go by and suddenly add up with a pet sometimes.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Condolences. Losing a member of one's family is tough. 20 years though. A nice long life. Sounds like she was blessed to have your family around her.

What was her name?
Thank you. She was Cliodhna, Queen of the Banshees in mythology. She never lived up to that name and was simply called Clio by us.

We lost our 14 year old dog, Fergus, before Christmas and now Clio, which has made this harder on us. The grandkids have been a distraction this week while they are on spring break and here. Helping them understand has helped me too as I tried to explain it all in simple terms.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,641,492 times
It was a beautiful day on the slopes. Not a cloud in the sky.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:03 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Many of us have had to go through the sadness of losing an animal friend. It is so hard to get past that loss. Whether we have them for a day or the 33 years Montana Griz had his Arabian....... it tears our hearts and we wonder how we'll ever recover from it.

I've lost animals, too. From my best friend Willy (cat) from my earliest childhood (someone poisoned him) to a few years ago having to euthanize Mimsy (another cat) after she had a stroke.

I think the love we have for our pets and sadness we feel when we lose them are important parts of our lives. And to pass the lessons along to our children/grandchildren.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Jean, please accept my condolences on the loss of your beloved Clio, 20 years is a long time. I am sorry.

Montana Griz, so sorry about your beloved horse. Yes, 33 years is a long time. Sweet memories.

Well, last night we kicked another one off the Bucket List! We went to see [and sing] with Arlo Guthrie and two of his children, who were in concert with him. It was great fun to sing-along with "Alice's Restaurant, "This Land is your Land", and my favorite, "Riding on the City of New Orleans". We also took my Special Needs brother with us and he loved it. And we had the pleasure of meeting up with a former work lunch-mate and her Hubby to have a long visit [planned]. We are in a situation where we need to "make hay while the sun shines" with my Hubby's Alz diagnosis at a young age, so I am grateful we had this opportunity, and will always remember it.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:24 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
HollyhockGarden: What fun that must have been. I love to listen to Arlo and his crew. I found a fun video on U-Tube and it was fun just watching and singing along to his music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement