Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Just a thought . . . On a thread such as the "blue state" thread that popped up, a MOD could adjust the title a bit, which would make it specifically about retirement. As it is, it is an "open-ended" title and when it shows up on the general page for all threads across the board . . . it comes across as a draw for comments which no way relate to retirement.

I don't remember the exact title of that thread without looking back, but I believe if it stated something like - "what blue state is best for retirees" (instead of "what blue state is best") . . . then that might have kept it in the realm of less political ideology and more emphasis on programs for the elderly, entertainment for seniors available in particular states/cities. In addition, even more editing could have salvaged it further . . . "What states are fairly liberal and good for retirees?"

Of course, since I don't think that is a good way to come up with criteria that will give me an answer as to where I should be retiring (liberal vs. conservative) . . . I don't personally think there is any really stellar way to post such a thread. :-) But a less inflammatory title would have helped . . .

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
As an analogy, my community has lots of fitness classes. We have neighborhood groups, we have a Y, we have community centers, we have baseball fields and playgrounds and school gyms open during the summer for exercise groups. Lots and lots of places for the teens to work out and be a little rowdy with their friends. Yet for some reason they periodically want to work out in the senior center, too.

I don't know why they aren't satisfied with their own gym, maybe they just want a change of scenery, but the answer is "the senior center is for 55+ only." I'm sorry if that makes us sound "members only" but it's necessary. Teens mean well but they quickly take over your gym then the seniors have no place to go at all.

Forums are the same way, IMO.
Good analogy and I totally agree that this forum should be for folks 55+ and older -- and interested in retirement-related issues.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Totally agree with your definition of who should and shouldn't be posting here. It is a Retirement section and it should be folks who are either planning on retirement, semi-retired or retired. The exception might be someone who is asking questions in re: to an elderly parent or friend.
Totally agree, and nicely explained.

Quote:
I was referring to the attitude I have felt on other forums (two in particular) where longtime posters on those forums have formed somewhat a "clique" and if anyone wanders in who isn't a "regular" . . . they close ranks.
Agree again--I've seen that happen in some of the forums, too. Fortunately I think we avoid that here--although it's also true that I've seen people jumped on from time to time for asking a FAQ. That was the big reason we started the Topics thread.

One nice thing about retirement forum is we regularly get new people who are retiring--or have retirement-related questions for themselves or a relative. It keeps it fresh, and I welcome those new people. At the same time I'm not so thrilled about welcoming people who want to discuss issues that aren't really on topic for this forum.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Just a thought . . . On a thread such as the "blue state" thread that popped up, a MOD could adjust the title a bit, which would make it specifically about retirement. .
Yes, good idea! The title is a big thing, since that's what attracts trolls and other people who maybe be innocent posters but who really don't belong here. And a good title can keep the topic more retirement oriented.

Ani, thanks so much for talking this out with me and giving me a chance to vent a little. I'm sorry I got so grumpy about seeing that thread yesterday. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I feel better now that you've talked about it with me.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, good idea! The title is a big thing, since that's what attracts trolls and other people who maybe be innocent posters but who really don't belong here. And a good title can keep the topic more retirement oriented.

Ani, thanks so much for talking this out with me and giving me a chance to vent a little. I'm sorry I got so grumpy about seeing that thread yesterday. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I feel better now that you've talked about it with me.
When I saw that thread title, I thought - oh dear! So you weren't the only one.

I tried to salvage it by answering something about my own state . . . and tried to make the point that one cannot make assumptions about the attitudes of folks simply based on where they live . . . but I don't know if it helped. OP has not returned!

Like you, I feel the Retirement forum is a "safe place" for sane discussion. We have so many posters with not only real life experience to share, but with the ability to present valuable guidance, information and truly helpful resources. And we have folks from all over the place - some are not even in the USA!

And we have tackled some tough issues in this forum! The honesty and willingness to share has really been comforting for me, personally, at various times.

I find the best written posts and the most logical discussions here . . . and often there is good humor and a new angle that opens my eyes to other possibilities and perspectives.

I don't want to see it "ruined" either - so you are not alone!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
I've been discussing the Tips sticky with earlyretirement (our new mod) and we were aiming for July 7th to post the update. So if y'all want to create a political topics sticky instead, this is the right time to do so.

You know, I'm actually ok with discussing a specific retirement issue that also happens to be political. Social security issues, for example. What seems dangerous to me are threads about presidential candidates or threads like "Which is the best blue state." That crosses a line for me (and even more so because it was a 5 year old thread being bumped, not to mention a thread started by a "drive by" person who posted a question and then was never seen since.)

Then again, maybe I'm in the minority. If the rest of you really want to go this direction it's cool--but if so could someone send me a DM with suggestions of another web site to go to? I need a place where retirees chat about retirement issues, but general political discussions are avoided.
Under a better overall structure, a question like "which is a blue state" would not be its own thread, but would come under Relo, and would be OK there, along with any other questions and comments that don't need their own thread.

Forum: ALL THINGS SENIOR 55+ (not stickies)

Standing Threads (with no sub-threads)

Retirement Timeline & Planning

Retirement Finance & Planning

Retirement Relocation & Planning

Senior Health Insurance & Medicare

Senior Wellness

Senior Living Options

Senior Relationships

Senior Grandparenting

Senior Travel

Senior Entertainment & Recreation

End of Life Issues

Senior General Chat

Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Under a better overall structure, a question like "which is a blue state" would not be its own thread, but would come under Relo, and would be OK there, along with any other questions and comments that don't need their own thread.

Senior Wellness

Senior Living Options

Senior Relationships

Senior Grandparenting

Senior Travel

End of Life Issues

Senior General Chat
Too many sub-forums for me. I don't have the patience for that. IMO, City-Data has wrecked the Science & Technology forum by making six (often overlapping) sub-forums. I notice that it seems to have far fewer posts since that happend, too. And reading the "merged" version doesn't work since it doesn't remember your reading history.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Senior Wellness

Senior Living Options

Senior Relationships

Senior Grandparenting

Senior Travel

End of Life Issues

Senior General Chat
That looks like a wonderful outline for the foundation of an entire website, to me.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Too many sub-forums for me. I don't have the patience for that. IMO, City-Data has wrecked the Science & Technology forum by making six (often overlapping) sub-forums. I notice that it seems to have far fewer posts since that happend, too. And reading the "merged" version doesn't work since it doesn't remember your reading history.
There would be no sub-forums under each of these standing threads. Anything that could be said would fall into one of these. When topics peter out, more pop up - with each thread.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Default Politics and the Retirement Forum

Aren't we reinventing the wheel and agonizing too much about something which is actually simple? City-Data has a Politics Forum. When threads veer too much into that area, moderators frequently move them into the correct forum (Politics). Problem solved. That happens a fair amount in the Economics Forum, for example. People can report threads which they feel are in the wrong forum. I've done it. It doesn't mean the thread itself should be deleted, just moved to the correct location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.