U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 06:39 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

It s been beautiful here, thank goodness. We were without power for 8 hours yesterday. We had the mast replaced on the roof, the power line runs from the pole to the mast. During Irma, it was bent from the stress of a tree blowing and stressing the power line. The power company cut the tree down a few months ago.

The scheduler at the electrical company told DH we would be without power for 30 minutes. I’m guessing she knows better now after DH called and spoke to the manager. The power company came out and took the line down, the mast was replaced by an electrician and then a county inspector had to come out and inspect the grounding etc. The power company came back to rehook the power, only after the inspector called them. If we knew a county inspector was involved, we would have realized this was not going to be quick. We were only told it had to be coordinated with the power company.

It was 78, low humidity and a nice breeze. I kicked back and read a book my nine year granddaughter recommended: The Phantom Tollbooth, it was good. That was after I took our five year old grandson to their pediatric dentist for a check up. The staff, four hygienists and the dentist were in full costume for Pirate Day with eye patches and props for the kids. An interesting day.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-12-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The wind is 'practicing' for the May winds! I hate May just for that reason. It's windy up here too but after reading the guys posts I'm not so inclined to complain!
The guy doing my taxes asked how I decided on Arizona. I told him about the retirement forum & that I visited in July to check it out, thinking it would be one of the worst months, as it is in Minnesota.

Nope, he said, May & June are the worst.

Oh well, if I had come here then I might not have made the decision to move so it's just as well. I'm not looking forward to the wind though! Yet, two bad months, even three, is better than six.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
My late son's ex-FIL passed away last night. Known him for years. His kids were a wild bunch, grew up on the rough side of town. My ex-DIL told me that there will be no services per his request.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 PM

28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Calmed down today. If the winds stay mild I'll put the screen back up tomorrow, and retrieve the cast iron furniture from where I stashed it at 3:00am this morning.

If we had experienced that in Iowa I would expect a blizzard or a tornado depending on time of year.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:25 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Howling winds all night died down to 25mph this morning, snowing 30 miles south of me, nothing here just dust. Had to lite the pellet stove, 46 degrees inside. A good morning for biscuits and gravy I think.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:27 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I just checked the Minnesota weather. They're expecting another snow storm. Will be the snowiest April on record.

So glad I didn't wait one more year to move. Since are crazy here again today, but I'll gladly take wind over snow any day.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 3,543,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I just checked the Minnesota weather. They're expecting another snow storm. Will be the snowiest April on record.

So glad I didn't wait one more year to move. Since are crazy here again today, but I'll gladly take wind over snow any day.
The April snow melts and disappears the very next day. Because it is often very sunny and the elevation of the sun in April is strong. But even if not sunny, it melts and disappears the next day.

Or melts in less than 2 days. And when one is retired, one doesn't need to go out during a brief snowfall or next day.

Northern Minnesota weather is quite different from the rest of the state. The state does not have all one weather throughout the state. Many, if not most, of the Northern Minnesota storms completely miss Minneapolis-St Paul during the winter, and often miss central and southern Minnesota.

And central and southern Minnesota have different weather from Northern Minnesota, and also different weather from Minneapolis - St Paul. It's not nearly as cold by a long shot and way less snow.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Blizzard conditions in Western Nebraska. Tornado watch in southwestern Iowa

Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Freeze Warning here tonight, temps forecast to fall into the 20's. All the area fruit trees have blossomed due to the warm weather the past few weeks.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:48 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Freeze Warning here tonight, temps forecast to fall into the 20's. All the area fruit trees have blossomed due to the warm weather the past few weeks.
See if you can find out if any of those Peach Orchards use large propane fired heaters strategicly placed on the Lee side of the orchard paired with very large electric portable "fans" with diameters of from 5 to 7 feet.
I've see some very large potential Flathead Cherry Crops saved by using this method.
.....on the other hand, .........I ''ve heard tell about one 5th generation Montana Native Peach Orchard owner who simply gathered up 75 to a 100 new transplants from California and lined 'em up along the Lee side of the Orchard and had them sing the Official Montana State Song.............No big fans needed behind them folks, ........ when ever they open their mouth to sing or just talk, ........there is nothing but "hot-air" coming out of their mouths, with such force that the entire Cherry Crop was saved in two hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement