U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I always enjoy reading you caught trout for supper and you will be grilling them tonight. I want to know what "sides" you have with your trout for supper. I picture coleslaw and/or potato salad, but these need to be made in advance, and you often go fishing "on the fly", pun intended.
Coleslaw is the exlax of my system so I never ever ever eat coleslaw. My sides are usually brown rice, fried corn, and a roll. If I have my macaroni salad already made in the refrigerator I'll have that too. And of course sweet tea. Sometimes it may just be trout a roll and ice tea.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:32 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Have some former neighbors (lived 1/2 mile down the county road on 15 forested acres) who, at age 68 & 69 decided to finally leave Montana and late last fall bought a 16 yr old private home on Marco Island.
There is extensive landscaping around the pool and the former owner suggested they look into having a "pool Cage" installed so that the 28 x 58 pool would be kept free of leaves etc, as well as making it mosquito and bug proof, and as well as providing a physical barrier for keeping unattended children from possibly falling into the pool............They mentioned that there would be a reduction in their home owner's insurance premium even though the property is fenced with a lockable gate.
It would also provide a more desirable environment for outdoor cooking and dining.
I did not ask, but they volunteered a cost figure of $15,351................I damned near dropped the phone into my ice creme (covered with Kalauha by the way).
I know they made out quite well on the sale of their home here on 15 acres, but I would guess Marco Island COL overall is quite high..(6/10th acre lot size).
I don't know if I could adjust coming from 15 ac to that small lot size.........but I also am well aware that "we all have different priorities", and they change as we age.
Anyway, I wish them a smooth transition and (hopefully an invitation for a week next winter!.....haha.)
NOTE:......just did quick calculation........
...73,859 gallons to fill that pool. (w/ AVG depth of 6 feet/)...........
He said he is going to look into converting it into a "Salt Water Pool".........What benefits??.....and could it be filled with filtered water from the ocean??
Any comments and opinions are welcome.........I. have NO background or knowledge in this field, I 'm just "an old geezer" looking to broaden my field of knowledge.
28 x 58 is a large home pool! It’s good to have friends in warm places during winter. I hope you do get invited!

Salt water pools are popular. The water is not salty like the ocean, but uses a salt water generator to electronically convert salt into chlorine. The resulting pool water doesn’t have the heavy chlorine smell and is easier on the skin. It uses less chemicals, but the generator needs replaced around five years, so the cost is the same as a regular chlorine pool.

There are more pools with screened cages than without here. They do keep debris and bugs out and don’t require a fenced yard. Most insurance companies quit covering the cages without special rider$: too many claims with storms. They do make a nice, enclosed outdoor living area. Our one cat will love all the freedom of running around in it, as long as she doesn’t fall in chasing the small anoles (lizards) that can still squeeze in.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2018 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM

28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
No new car this spring. Dealer didn't seem overly excited about making a sale. They wanted a few thousand more that the "advertised" price online. Bait and switch sort of. Give a price then only when asked mention that there is about $2k of paint protection and some for the interior. If I hadn't asked they would have dropped that on us when we were talking with the sales manager after agreeing on a price with the sales person. And we would have walked out.

When I told them what I expected to pay I never heard back.

Meh. We are going to wait until fall or next spring. No big hurry. We just thought we'd give it a shot because we had some time free up.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 AM

Took the dogs for a walk yesterday evening after the 100 or so dirt bikes finally left. My oldest, a Blue Healer collapsed while walking and looked absolutely terrified. I held him for a while and he got up but very shaky, walked like he was drunk and back legs kept giving out. Got back in and pretty much stayed up watching him all night.

He snored and rolled around like normal, and this morning is doing ok. Went out in front to pee as usual and rolled around in the dirt like he always does. I think he may be 14 or so, have no idea since he belonged to the EX GF son who dumped him on her and she left him (and her other dog) with me when she ran off three years ago.

He's a great dog, took nearly a year to warm to me, but now very loyal and affectionate. Before you say it, the nearest vet is 30 minutes away and it's Sunday. Plus I have NO money for a vet bill and vets here demand payment in full before they will release your pet. I'll keep a close watch on him and I think our long walks are a thing of the past.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
jim9251: So sorry to read about your blue healer. It's excruciatingly painful to watch this sort of thing happen and not have money to pay for his vet bill. I kind of went through that with a cat a few years ago. She had a stroke in middle of the night, it was really horrible.

You seem to be a very kind, caring person. He was lucky to end up with you when the other creeps walked out on him.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Jim: My daughter's blue heeler got canine bloat and died suddenly. He had just wolfed down his food, went outside and it happened. Apparently the stomach twisted around with gas in it, and he couldn't breathe. Was a medical emergency, but they were too late getting to the vet to save him. Hope your doggy is doing ok. Around 12 or 14 is when the problems start.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Took the dogs for a walk yesterday evening after the 100 or so dirt bikes finally left. My oldest, a Blue Healer collapsed while walking and looked absolutely terrified. I held him for a while and he got up but very shaky, walked like he was drunk and back legs kept giving out. Got back in and pretty much stayed up watching him all night.

He snored and rolled around like normal, and this morning is doing ok. Went out in front to pee as usual and rolled around in the dirt like he always does. I think he may be 14 or so, have no idea since he belonged to the EX GF son who dumped him on her and she left him (and her other dog) with me when she ran off three years ago.

He's a great dog, took nearly a year to warm to me, but now very loyal and affectionate. Before you say it, the nearest vet is 30 minutes away and it's Sunday. Plus I have NO money for a vet bill and vets here demand payment in full before they will release your pet. I'll keep a close watch on him and I think our long walks are a thing of the past.
Perhaps look into Care Credit?

Old 04-29-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Perhaps look into Care Credit?
I don't qualify. EX GF ruined my credit.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:51 PM

Well he's been doing well today, been in the front to pee and poop and played a bit with his toy. So, I dunno. No walks, anyway with 82 degrees 40mph winds and dust I don't want to walk today.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
One possibility............

Check him very, very thoroughly for an embedded wood tick.
Having lived in the foothills of the CO mountains for almost 19 yrs, I have had this happen when we had 3 dogs and 3 horses.
The older (and/or weakened a dog (or horse) is, the more likely one or more ticks will attach themselves and will cause the animal to gradually get weaker and weaker over time....with more frequent episodes like you described.
When I was a "green-horn" with horses,( 1965), I had purchased a 19 yr old retired "working-ranch" horse that had been turned out by the rancher,
into a fenced 80 acre mountain pasture (w/ water, lots of brush, trees and grazing at elevation 6700') in early spring of 1966.
About early July we got around to bringing him in and start getting our 11 yr old daughter used to taking care of him. He was her horse now and we had a convenient fenced off 15 acre area for keeping him in for daily riding, care, feeding etc,etc..........
We immeadiately noticed he just wasn't acting normal........,He was unsteady of his feet, hadn't shed out his winter coat and just did not look good!
Turns out he was infected with 14 EMBEDDED TICKS..........SOME WERE ENGORGED with his blood to the size of a penny!!!!!!
Took about 3 weeks to get him back to normal!
Back then we also had two or three times when a couple of ticks got on one of our Labs .........daily checking them over is mandatory during tick season .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement