U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
What is it about that 3-3:30 AM waking up time?? I go through this every once in a while, and have been for the past five nights! Older people I talk to say the same thing about the time they wake up. If I lay there long enough I can usually doze off again but then wake up an hour later. And then there's the rooster next door that starts in around 4:30. I feel 'lucky' if I make it to 5:00. Work days I don't mind but geez, days off?? Pleeeeze!

For me it's my cat Sam. He thinks I should be up and at 'em, tho I usually go to bed about 1. So if I don't get a chance for a nap, I'm pretty tired all day. Today is one of those days!! Wish I knew how to break him from this bad habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
What is it about that 3-3:30 AM waking up time?? I go through this every once in a while, and have been for the past five nights! Older people I talk to say the same thing about the time they wake up. If I lay there long enough I can usually doze off again but then wake up an hour later. And then there's the rooster next door that starts in around 4:30. I feel 'lucky' if I make it to 5:00. Work days I don't mind but geez, days off?? Pleeeeze!
I only wake up at that time because someone is shooting. In a few weeks the crop duster will start flying at 4:30am and that will be my alarm clock.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 PM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
For me it's my cat Sam. He thinks I should be up and at 'em, tho I usually go to bed about 1. So if I don't get a chance for a nap, I'm pretty tired all day. Today is one of those days!! Wish I knew how to break him from this bad habit.

I guess I've been really lucky because none of my cats have ever woke me up like that. They seemed to have enough patience to wait for me although I have to admit they were right on my tail for breakfast! lol I have no idea how to break a cat from doing that.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I only wake up at that time because someone is shooting. In a few weeks the crop duster will start flying at 4:30am and that will be my alarm clock.

Shooting?? Crop duster?? That time of day? I think you should move. Reading all your previous posts makes me realize, once again, how lucky I am to live in a quiet neighborhood! A lot of kids here but even they aren't obnoxious.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Well, 3:30 am is usually my bathroom break. But I can go back to sleep easily.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
I watched a movie years ago that mentioned 3 am was the witching hour, not midnight. I don’t remember the reasoning, but it stuck with me. I had a run of waking up at three on the dot that was spooking me. I got to the point where I would not look at the clock. Luckily that phase passed. As I kid I was made to sit in the kitchen when Outer Limits was on TV. I was an impressionable kid and I haven’t fully outgrown scary movies and shows.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:43 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
I woke up today at 3:48. Must be something in the atmosphere for more than one of us doing this. Usually if I wake up I can go back to sleep. Not today though. Oh well, will just go to sleep early.

Nygal, have you thought of putting up with it for a few nights & ignoring him? It worked with our children, hard as it was. Just a thought.

And no, it wasn't child abuse, it was teaching.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I woke up today at 3:48. Must be something in the atmosphere for more than one of us doing this. Usually if I wake up I can go back to sleep. Not today though. Oh well, will just go to sleep early.

Nygal, have you thought of putting up with it for a few nights & ignoring him? It worked with our children, hard as it was. Just a thought.

I think I'm 'stuck' at 3:30. Sometimes I can go back to sleep and sometimes not. I'd at least like to sleep till the coffee is ready! Then I plan to go to bed early but if I do that I'll wake up even earlier. I know that I really need 7 hours sleep but lately I've been operating on about 5 and it's driving me nuts. I know it's worse if I fall asleep in my recliner watching TV but I just doze, not sleep, so it's not restful. On my days off I try to stay up later so I can 'maybe' sleep later but that doesn't work either. One night I even took two sleep aid pills and still woke up at 3:30!

Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Well, 3:30 am is usually my bathroom break. But I can go back to sleep easily.

Sometimes I think that's the only reason I wake up. Maybe if I didn't drink ice tea till I go to bed I'd have better luck! Guess I could try that, huh?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I think I'm making too many excuses for my cat!

When I stop to realize how much his behavior is adversely affecting me, I can see it's a ridiculous situation. He walks all over me, meows, keeps "bugging" me till I get up. There is food in the dish, water in a dish, cleaned out litter boxes. When I adopted him he sat in his cage looking like a lost soul and of course I wanted to make it better for him.

Guess I've done a good job of that!

I'll talk to his vet to get some ideas. If there is no "cure", he'll need to find someone who doesn't mind getting up early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement