U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2018, 09:40 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721

Advertisements

We had never played Rummikub until our friends introduced us to it. We just met them a month ago; they are retired here from Florida, the same as us. We get together on Friday afternoon and have been out to lunch a couple of times. So far a good thing for us as we tend to at times, just hang around the house too much.

 
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
Ah this is fun..."why are all the lakes frozen over, it's May!" and "is there ONE PLACE we can go that's not 10,000 feet or higher???"

So took them to my place (only 6,000 feet). "THIS is Colorado???? But it's all dirt and cactus." Yup, lucky me.

Oh and "does the wind EVER stop blowing?" Yes, in September for three days.

And and and... "$12 for a hamburger???????" Welcome to Colorado.
 
Old 05-11-2018, 09:51 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ah this is fun..."why are all the lakes frozen over, it's May!" and "is there ONE PLACE we can go that's not 10,000 feet or higher???"

So took them to my place (only 6,000 feet). "THIS is Colorado???? But it's all dirt and cactus." Yup, lucky me.

Oh and "does the wind EVER stop blowing?" Yes, in September for three days.

And and and... "$12 for a hamburger???????" Welcome to Colorado.
If you don't mind (no problem if you don't want to answer); how did you wind up retiring where you are? The picture you paint doesn't seem ideal.
 
Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
If you don't mind (no problem if you don't want to answer); how did you wind up retiring where you are? The picture you paint doesn't seem ideal.
Long story. I've posted reasons I'm here several times.

NO it is not ideal, it is the most miserable place I've ever lived.
 
Old 05-14-2018, 01:31 PM
 
238 posts, read 197,909 times
Reputation: 565
Oddstray, - I appreciate the link you posted. I don't know how to "use adblock extension to disable javascript." I'll research it.
The HTML Meta solution doesn't seem to work with Firefox's 2018 preferences. Or, at least I can't find the box it indicates must be unchecked to stop the "HTML Meta auto-refresh."

"The auto-refresh function can be implemented either with the HTML META tag <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">, or with javascript. For javascript auto-refresh function, you can use adblock extension to disable javascript for that website. For the HTML Meta auto-refresh, it can only be disabled if the browser supports it."

"In Firefox, go to Preferences -> Advanced. In the General tab, check the box “Warn me when the web sites try to redirect or reload the page“."

I was very thrilled and hopeful when I read your post! If you can clarify any of the above, I'll be greatly appreciative.
 
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Oddstray, - I appreciate the link you posted. I don't know how to "use adblock extension to disable javascript." I'll research it.
The HTML Meta solution doesn't seem to work with Firefox's 2018 preferences. Or, at least I can't find the box it indicates must be unchecked to stop the "HTML Meta auto-refresh."

"The auto-refresh function can be implemented either with the HTML META tag <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">, or with javascript. For javascript auto-refresh function, you can use adblock extension to disable javascript for that website. For the HTML Meta auto-refresh, it can only be disabled if the browser supports it."

"In Firefox, go to Preferences -> Advanced. In the General tab, check the box Warn me when the web sites try to redirect or reload the page."

I was very thrilled and hopeful when I read your post! If you can clarify any of the above, I'll be greatly appreciative.
Yeah, that's a problem that even us techhy types run into. Instructions often don't match up with current versions of apps.

Sorry, but I quit using Firefox and switched to Chrome when Firefox became painfully slow, so I don't have any way of checking Firefox settings to find the exact instructions. Maybe someone else here can help? Otherwise you might ask in the Science and Technology forum.
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM
 
28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Reputation: 36986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Oddstray, - I appreciate the link you posted. I don't know how to "use adblock extension to disable javascript." I'll research it.
The HTML Meta solution doesn't seem to work with Firefox's 2018 preferences. Or, at least I can't find the box it indicates must be unchecked to stop the "HTML Meta auto-refresh."

"The auto-refresh function can be implemented either with the HTML META tag <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">, or with javascript. For javascript auto-refresh function, you can use adblock extension to disable javascript for that website. For the HTML Meta auto-refresh, it can only be disabled if the browser supports it."

"In Firefox, go to Preferences -> Advanced. In the General tab, check the box “Warn me when the web sites try to redirect or reload the page“."

I was very thrilled and hopeful when I read your post! If you can clarify any of the above, I'll be greatly appreciative.
The referenced page is dated 2010 so the settings in FF have changed considerably. I'll see if I can find something newer. My FF V59 does not have that setting.

Edit: This was posted in February of this year so, hopefully, it is current.

Quote:
  1. Type "about:config" in the address bar.
  2. Click the "I accept the risk" button.
  3. Type "accessibility.blockautorefresh" in the search box.
  4. Double-click on the first item that appears to change the value to "true".
  5. Restart Firefox.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
Today is Peace Officer's Memorial Day to honor those who protect us and were killed in the line of duty. I had a partner killed on duty and couldn't save him. In 35 years in law enforcement, I came close, very close, to being killed twice.


These days, it seems everyone from the stupid media to kids in fast food joints hates the police. Take a minute to think what our country would be like without someone standing up.


Maybe take one day to thank an officer for what they sacrifice when you see one. Trust me, it will absolutely make their day.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
jim9251: I did not know that today is Peace Officer's Memorial Day.



I can't even imagine the courage it takes to do your job every day not knowing what you might face at any time. I am truly sorry you lost your partner. It sounds like it happened in your presence and you were not able to save him. I hope you have worked through the guilt you may have had.



I am so happy you are here to keep us posted on what's going on in your life.



Thank you for your service.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM
 
28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Reputation: 36986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Today is Peace Officer's Memorial Day to honor those who protect us and were killed in the line of duty. I had a partner killed on duty and couldn't save him. In 35 years in law enforcement, I came close, very close, to being killed twice.


These days, it seems everyone from the stupid media to kids in fast food joints hates the police. Take a minute to think what our country would be like without someone standing up.


Maybe take one day to thank an officer for what they sacrifice when you see one. Trust me, it will absolutely make their day.
Anyone in uniform. If I can I thank them. If I can't I wave and smile.

One of my best friends from high school joined the police force. What he went through changed him. We stopped seeing him and wondered why. We found out later that police and fire end up in a pretty tight group. On the plus side he and his wife were traveling last year and stopped in Las Vegas. Hadn't talked to them for probably 30 years. It was like we had seen them just last week. An amazing visit.

Thank you for your service. Screw the media. They're a bunch of leeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top