U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,817,301 times

Advertisements

Does New Orleans have a HO-HO (hop on, hop off) bus yet? If so, that will help with getting around. I was so glad to find these in European cities, and I wish they'd be more available in US cities for visitors.

Second best was my weeklong bus pass in Stockholm. It was good on any city bus (and provided massive discounts at museums). The US needs to get less car-centric, on the whole.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM

2,713 posts, read 1,857,013 times
https://vimeo.com/271155683

This four minute video was on Facebook the other day. It made me smile and tear up a little. It’s of our area where we lived in the Hudson Valley of NY and the main area we sailed many an evening after work whenever we could. The video is along the Hudson from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge (I-84) to Storm King Mountain. Our village, Cornwall on Hudson, is nestled at the foot of the mountain, it’s on the right under the clouds, around the 1:58 mark. The road cut into the mountain is 218 that runs through the village to West Point and Highland Falls. What a beautiful drive and very scary for this flatlander, until I became used to it.
It’s a well done video using a drone, you can tell the man who made it loves the area. We loved living there too, it was perfect for that time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-23-2018 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,443,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
[vimeo]271155683[/vimeo]
[vimeo]271155683[/vimeo]
[vimeo]271155683[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/271155683

This four minute video was on Facebook the other day. It made me smile and tear up a little. It’s of our area where we lived in the Hudson Valley of NY and the main area we sailed many an evening after work whenever we could. The video is along the Hudson from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge (I-84) to Storm King Mountain. Our village, Cornwall on Hudson, is nestled at the foot of the mountain, it’s on the right under the clouds, around the 1:58 mark. The road cut into the mountain is 218 that runs through the village to West Point and Highland Falls. What a beautiful drive and very scary for this flatlander, until I became used to it.
It’s a well done video using a drone, you can tell the man who made it loves the area. We loved living there too, it was perfect for that time.
Your reference to STORM KING MOUNTAIN got my attention, and brought back memories from the 1960s & 1970s.
In that era, my wife, daughter and I were living in Sunshine Canyon at 6750 feet elevation in the foothills just west of Boulder, CO. I was employed by a national firm, hdq'ed out of Brea, CA. and as a regional business development mgr, they had moved us from the northern suburbs of Chgo (in 1965) to any where within 50 miles of Denver..........we chose the foothills out side of Boulder.
..........jump ahead in time to 1975......
In 1975 I was asked to pick a location in the eastern U.S.for our annual Business Conference (a 5 day event to be held in Mid Sept.)....wives were invited to accompany their husbands if they so desired. IIRC we had total reservations for 82.
I chose Bear Mountain Inn/ Overlook Lodge in the State Park on the Hudson River.......
............(Jean, I think this is your former 'stomping grounds').

My wife and I were there a total of 8 days and took a sightseeing tour of the immediate area in a helicopter on the Saturday after the conference.....
The two mountain names that stuck with me were: ......Bear Mountain and Storm King Mountain.
The fall colors were beautiful and the Hudson River Valley was quite a sight from the air.

The name Storm King Mountain is the name of the mountain outside of Steamboat Springs, CO., that was the location of the very tragic wildland forest fire that killed 14 fire fighters in 1964. My hunting friends and I set up our Elk Hunting Camp, with horses, at about 7000' on Storm King Mountain for 10 years in a row in the late 1960s and into the 1970s!
Thus when you mentioned Storm King Mountain in your post, it really brought back many, many memories for me, both from Colorado and the Hudson River Valley.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,926,917 times
Laughing at my previous post re delivery companies. An item I ordered is coming UPS. It was supposed to be here today and I got a notice this morning it's coming tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM

11,386 posts, read 12,974,323 times
Speaking of deliveries, my post office now has informed delivery, I get an email with scanned images of the mail I'm getting, or nothing if no mail. Kind of neat. My mailbox is 1/4 mile away so I don't always have to walk down there in the wind and dust every day. And they can run a check if I don't get the mail they say they are delivering (rural mailboxes lots of thefts here). Sign up at usps.com.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,926,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Speaking of deliveries, my post office now has informed delivery, I get an email with scanned images of the mail I'm getting, or nothing if no mail. Kind of neat. My mailbox is 1/4 mile away so I don't always have to walk down there in the wind and dust every day. And they can run a check if I don't get the mail they say they are delivering (rural mailboxes lots of thefts here). Sign up at usps.com.
I got that as well. Doesn't catch 100% of what is coming, but it's a nice feature.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 PM

8,496 posts, read 12,309,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ok some guy in England is marrying some American actress I never heard of and the news media here is going crazy. I don't get it. Well at least they stopped talking about this Russian nonsense for a second.

I'm going fishing.
You mean the Special Counsel investigation that so far has yielded 17 criminal indictments and 5 guilty pleas?

That Russian "nonsense"?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:11 PM

5,189 posts, read 3,591,902 times
Just got back from Roanoke and Salem, VA. Looking for apartment to move to in a few months. The specific one I looked at was nice but way too small (for me). Did a lot of driving and looking, but will need to go back. Will do a better computer search before heading back in about a month.

The positive thing is I like it there and I'm looking forward to living there.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 685,655 times
ODD-STRAY -- Yes, indeed, New Orleans does have a HO-HO bus. A friend had recommended it to us just before we left, but since we enjoyed the street cars so much, we just used them.

NYgal -- Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Roanoke and Salem. One of our daughters lives in VA and enjoys it there. The computer really is helpful when you are thinking about relocating. There are so many things you can learn about online -- in fact, you can learn a lot about almost everything. I actually know a lady who purchased a home over the internet and it worked out just fine. About the apartment you looked at being too small -- I would make sure you have the exact sq footage of your present apt, and if that size is satisfactory, use it as a sort of baseline when looking at other apartments. Sometimes you have to change the neighborhood or age of the building to get the desired sq footage you need. But you will get it all figured out!

Jim -- That Informed Delivery program at the Post Office sounds perfect for someone life yourself, who lives a ways away from the mail box!

Last edited by HollyhockGarden; 05-25-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,474,644 times
Default Good For You !!

NYGal: Great news ! Did you make the trip alone or with the cats? How long does it take to drive to VA? Maybe now that you've seen stuff, you will feel better all around because YOU DID IT !!! Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement