U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 02:38 AM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Just got back from Roanoke and Salem, VA. Looking for apartment to move to in a few months. The specific one I looked at was nice but way too small (for me). Did a lot of driving and looking, but will need to go back. Will do a better computer search before heading back in about a month.

The positive thing is I like it there and I'm looking forward to living there.
I'm so happy you are making positive plans. How sweet the victory when we achieve our goals.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:04 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,170,879 times
NYGal- Glad you liked those areas. We did a road trip several years ago and looked at Roanoke as well. It was a very impressive place --though not quite right for us I thought it was quite appealing .
It most absolutely is on an upswing and for a lesser known or smaller city it really has some very fine attributes- medical school, fine art museum, railroad just to name a few. One of the things that didn't appeal to us was that it is not that easy to get to from where we have friends and family....but if that is not an issue I think it's a great place. And beautiful too.
Regarding square footage- it is a good idea to check that out just on paper before you look as a general guide but I know personally that looking at houses, while it is a good indication sometimes if a layout makes sense to your needs, it can feel a lot larger than something with larger square footage that does not jive with your needs. sill agree it's a good starting point for evalutaion.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:51 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
In the past the floor dimensions were included on the floor layout on the sites showing the apartments. Not so much anymore, tho. The apartment I am living in here is designed for someone in a wheelchair; the bathroom has an oversized door into it and the bathroom is quite large. Pretty sure that won't be true for any regular bathrooms.

The cats did not make the trip. They will only travel when we are actually moving.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:58 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,629,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ok some guy in England is marrying some American actress I never heard of and the news media here is going crazy. I don't get it. Well at least they stopped talking about this Russian nonsense for a second.

I'm going fishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You mean the Special Counsel investigation that so far has yielded 17 criminal indictments and 5 guilty pleas?

That Russian "nonsense"?
MadMan, I got the "have to spread some reputation around" message, so I'm giving you two thumbs up.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:14 AM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
I hope that everyone is having a good weekend. We went to a brass band concert over in Crossville on Saturday; really enjoyed it.

Got up early to do my walking as it is hot and humid outside. Lots of rain coming our way tomorrow and Wednesday. Going to run by the courthouse in a bit for the Memorial Day service. Then potato salad and fried chicken for dinner and weather permitting, the community band will have a concert in the park this evening. Just another nice weekend here in Middle Tennessee.

Last edited by JRR; 05-28-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 AM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
JRR sounds wonderful!

There's been several hundred dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, people racing around until 3am since Thursday here. Hot windy dusty noisy. A miserable weekend. Will be glad when it's over.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:15 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,170,879 times
I am feeling a bit relieved---- hesitating to share too much too soon but we did list the house,had multiple offers not quite at asking price but close enough for us. We accepted an offer and it is now in review (inspections etc)....the closing is targeted at the end of July but if we can find something sooner we can be out sooner.
We have been searching for our new home for almost a year and were getting a bit discouraged. We did find a very nice house (townhouse) in a very good area. We offered, they accepted, and we just had the inspeciton and it seems like it's going to work out. So, still a bit to make sure our house sale continues ( i have seen some that fall through and come back on the market - so hopefully this is not us). Trying to figure out movers, packing , when to tell work that they can take this job and shove it. That is the highlight. All good- lots of changes- but it seems retirement will be within the next 2 months.........even 6 weeks or so. fingers crossed.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
My blue heeler I've had for 4 years died. He was a good loyal companion. Was 14 I think, in the past few weeks had problems walking, standing and has gone blind.

Needless to say...

Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Sorry to hear the news. I remember that a few weeks ago you had mentioned that he had some problems. At least you had the four years together.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
jim9251: I am so sorry to hear about your dog! You gave him love and a good home. What more could he ask for.

I wondered where you were, almost always see a post from you on the chat thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement