U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times

Advertisements

One thing that we like about the Cookeville area is the music. October to May we are over at the university a couple of times a week for everything from jazz to classical. Plus the Bryan Symphony does several concerts during the year.

Then during the summer, the community band does concerts in the park and the community arts also brings in various bands for concerts on the third Thursday of every month. Along with the music, the local arts does Shakespeare in the Park for a week every autumn. This year it is Much Ado About Nothing.

For a city that is not that large, they do a good job with having things for people of all ages to do around here.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM

353 posts, read 176,970 times
Our 15 year old suburban (230K miles) has come to the end of its life. My husband wants a truck so we will be out looking this weekend. He really likes the Toyota Tundra and it looks like they have .9% financing right now. The plan will be to get a 4 year loan so that the truck will be paid for when he is 65. We are both looking forward to the new truck for road trips as my small SUV just isn't as comfortable for long distances.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM

8,319 posts, read 12,071,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Re: MMB Post #12251. "Hate you"........(jk). Beautiful views, I wouldn't want to leave!
I agree, but my wife insists that I spend time with her playing house, I mean at our house, in the city. We loaded up the pets and drove the 13 miles back across the bay and through downtown Miami to our house yesterday. I woke up this morning to the sounds of mangoes hitting the ground outside my bedroom window in place of gentle ocean waves lapping the shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
MMB - OMG that view to the east is beautiful!!!! If you ever put your place on Air B&B, please let me know. Seriously!!
Sorry, but we don't rent it out. Although sometimes I feel like a landlord anyway with all of our friends and relatives who come down to visit us (yeah, right, lol) and stay there. Although we've taken advantage of them as well and use them for pet-sitting when we travel. They get a free beach vacation in an oceanfront condo, we get free pet-sitting when we travel, and our pets get to stay in comfortable surroundings with personal attention rather than being boarded.

It turns out to be a win-win-win situation for everyone.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,540,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I woke up this morning to the sounds of mangoes hitting the ground outside my bedroom window in place of gentle ocean waves lapping the shore.
I'm curious - are you able to hear ocean waves from your high floor of your high-rise building?
If so, I didn't realize that.
If so, maybe also from a railed balcony on your high floor of the high rise?
I see a railing in the pic of the bay and/or isthmus.

Or are you talking about when you leave your high floor of your high-rise building and go down to ground level and go closer to the ocean & beach?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM

8,319 posts, read 12,071,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm curious - are you able to hear ocean waves from your high floor of your high-rise building?
If so, I didn't realize that.
If so, maybe also from a railed balcony on your high floor of the high rise?
I see a railing in the pic of the bay and/or isthmus.

Or are you talking about when you leave your high floor of your high-rise building and go down to ground level and go closer to the ocean & beach?
Well, maybe if I go out on the balcony at 3:00am, lol. Actually, it was just a little hyperbole.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
MMOB: A little more hyperbole for you.

I think I'm your long lost sister.

I wish. (Seriously never had a brother; had two sisters.)

Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 AM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Went walking around 7:30 AM today; was already hot and humid. Reminded me of being back in Central Florida. Chance of showers coming for the next few days, so should cool down a bit. Will watch the Tennessee Tech baseball game this afternoon; they have never made it this far in the college championship playoffs. Dinner tonight is fresh sweetcorn and gardenburgers.

Went out to look at some new furniture yesterday. Finally moving on from the sofa and chair we have had since 1979. Three chairs will fit better in the living room that we have here. Habitat for Humanity will get the old stuff; it good quality and is still in good shape.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:54 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,616,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
Our 15 year old suburban (230K miles) has come to the end of its life. My husband wants a truck so we will be out looking this weekend. He really likes the Toyota Tundra and it looks like they have .9% financing right now. The plan will be to get a 4 year loan so that the truck will be paid for when he is 65. We are both looking forward to the new truck for road trips as my small SUV just isn't as comfortable for long distances.
A lady friend here in out 55+ community purchased a Tundra from a fellow resident. It's about six years or so old, but only has 55k miles on it. A few bumper dings, but otherwise a very good vehicle. I've been running her around to various medical appointments and have driven the Tundra a few times.

It is a very comfortable vehicle. Seats are firm and supportive. Sitting above the traffic aids in pretty good visibility. Being taller than average, (6'3"), I do find that it has become difficult to climb into the thing. Probably more awkward than anything.

Plenty of power, but with a heavy pedal. My RAV4 has a feather pedal and I can give it just the right amount of gas that I desire. Haven't found the right procedure with the Tundra. I wish her's had more of the 'bells and whistles' that my RAV has. I miss those.

I probably won't be buying a Tundra, mostly because I tend to be more frugal with gas consumption. Tundras don't get very good mileage. But, If I ever have the need to purchase a truck, it will definitely be a Tundra. Hard to argue with Toyota's mechanical reliability.

Purchased my RAV with the 0.9% financing option. Got it at the end of 2015 and paid it off after I retired because I didn't want to make payments anymore. 0.9% is a pretty good deal.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Nearly 8pm and it's a brisk 88 degrees in my living room. Oh October, where art thou?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:22 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,616,669 times
Come to North Idaho. Low to mid-50's today with off-and-on rain. People were wondering because I was running around with shorts and a polo. Didn't feel cold. Loving it here!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement