U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 07:34 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Come to North Idaho. Low to mid-50's today with off-and-on rain. People were wondering because I was running around with shorts and a polo. Didn't feel cold. Loving it here!

That sounds perfect. Believe me if I had the money I would to get away from these 100 degree days with 30-40mph hot desert winds.

I bet it's green there too.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That sounds perfect. Believe me if I had the money I would to get away from these 100 degree days with 30-40mph hot desert winds.

I bet it's green there too.

Jim, I'm sure there is a lot to your story that I don't know, but why would it take so much money to move? I camped out with two dogs for two weeks when I switched residences. Do you have things you can't either sell or abandon?

I would rather be on the road in my less than reliable vehicle than stuck some place where I am miserable.

I hope I don't sound smug. I stayed in a marriage for 20 unhappy years. There aren't many days that I don't ask myself why I didn't leave. The answer for me is because doing nothing was the easiest thing to do.

I will never do that again..... and every time I read one of your posts, I want more than that for you.

I hope I haven't over stepped.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Went to Walmart to get some water. Was thinking Sunday morning would be quiet. Gosh the whole planet was there, people in bad moods pushing, kids screaming, heard one checker being cussed out for taking too long. Saw two wrecks in the parking lot looked like people cutting across lanes.

On the way home some guy passed me on the right shoulder, then threw out a beer can. Called dispatch, no one available.

Oh and 11am it's 94 degrees outside. Another day in paradise!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:11 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Power out. Grrr

Old 06-10-2018, 10:37 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Jim, I'm sure there is a lot to your story that I don't know, but why would it take so much money to move? I camped out with two dogs for two weeks when I switched residences. Do you have things you can't either sell or abandon?

I would rather be on the road in my less than reliable vehicle than stuck some place where I am miserable.

I hope I don't sound smug. I stayed in a marriage for 20 unhappy years. There aren't many days that I don't ask myself why I didn't leave. The answer for me is because doing nothing was the easiest thing to do.

I will never do that again..... and every time I read one of your posts, I want more than that for you.

I hope I haven't over stepped.
I agree with this. Find a way - get that family of yours to help or friends - get out of there. You have 1 life.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Power out. Grrr
Hopefully you got it back on in a reasonable time. Having lived in Central Florida for a lot of years, I know how aggravating it can be. Back in 2004 we got hit by the three hurricanes, each three weeks apart. Lost power for at least three days each time. I remember Labor Day was spent sitting on the back porch, listening to the portable radio with a dinner of Beanie Weenies, bread and water.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I have been noticing over the past couple of years that when I have a doctor's appointment I get at least five (5) phone calls, emails, reminding me of said appointment.

Is this typical? Anyone else notice this?

I may be old, but I only need one reminder (I already have it written on my calendar).

Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
It was always scary in Minnesota when the power went out. Living outstate, with farms all around, produce as well as meat, was frozen for winter use. Unless a person had a generator, you just held your breath & kept the freezer doors closed.

There was only one time that I remember having to toss a freezer full of food & that was when I lived in the city & it was only the top freezer on a frig, but it hurt to throw that food away!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Looks like my much anticipated move to VA is either off or just postponed.

Had a doctor appointment and it looks like I'm going to need some close followup.

Such is life, right?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Our old house in NY had an ancient natural gas boiler for a gravity fed radiator system.. No electricity? No problem, strike a match, turn a valve and kaboom! we had heat. We had village water and sewer, so no worries when the power went out. I did not want to replace that boiler, but did eventually.

We had a lot of power outages over the years. With various violent spring storms, one summer brown out that hit most of the Northeast, so many snow storms, including Sandy and one freak October snowstorm that hit when many leaves were still on the trees, causing power outages for days with all the trees and lines that went down. We bought our first generator after the power went out for six hours when I was making Thanksgiving dinner. I have my priorities!

We’ve lost power for less than an hour twice here in FL and seven hours with Irene during the past six years. We were lucky, our son’s power was out for seven days. Our friends in NY were without power for 10 days in the winter after a bad ice storm, again taking down trees and lines. They lived on the end of a grid out in the country, and were always last to have their power go back on.

Power outages are where you find out what you are made of: your ability to adapt, and how much ingenuity and equanimity you possess. I am fortunate to live with a McGuyver type who sees power outages as just another problem to solve and he has the tools and knowledge to handle it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-11-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement