U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 07:07 PM

5,389 posts, read 3,758,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been told by my bank that I have to wait a year before I could get a credit card.
But interest rates going up, no thanks. I'm doing OK without a card.

I don't need or want a lot.
If at all possible, refrain from getting a credit card, or, at the very least, get a secured card where the money is still yours.

I've been using my debit card as debit/credit since my bankruptcy & have had no problems paying that way. I breathe without worry & it feels good.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM

5,176 posts, read 3,572,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
If at all possible, refrain from getting a credit card, or, at the very least, get a secured card where the money is still yours.

I've been using my debit card as debit/credit since my bankruptcy & have had no problems paying that way. I breathe without worry & it feels good.
Yes, I am doing the same thing, debit/credit card connected to my checking account. I really have not missed a credit card. I think the only reason I think I need one is sometimes landlords check your credit and I've been told if I don't have any, that could be a problem.

Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

Also, I heard on the news today that the interest rate is going up. So glad I have no debt now.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 AM

11,363 posts, read 12,935,349 times
SO last night I dreamed I was a Dolphin. All the other Dolphins were swimming, playing chatting away in the ocean. I was trapped in a small tank isolated and alone...

Hmmmm….

Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM

5,154 posts, read 4,642,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SO last night I dreamed I was a Dolphin. All the other Dolphins were swimming, playing chatting away in the ocean. I was trapped in a small tank isolated and alone...

Hmmmm….
Maybe subconsciously the road closures due to western Colorado's wildfires is starting to get to you.

Seriously, I've been feeling a little isolated myself, so I sympathize. Maybe get out today and treat yourself to a nice lunch?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM

6,264 posts, read 9,440,063 times
Every night I have the most unusual dreams and I remember them too. Many involve being lost somewhere, often in a bad area. Last night I was pushing a grocery cart in the city, took a wrong turn and ended up in unknown parts. Alone and scared, I found a senior citizen facility and went in. I tried to call for a private cab (known as a keurig !!) but the woman could not pick me for several hours. So I took off on my own, pushing my cart....

Anyone out there care to interpret this for me???

Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 AM

11,363 posts, read 12,935,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Maybe subconsciously the road closures due to western Colorado's wildfires is starting to get to you.

Seriously, I've been feeling a little isolated myself, so I sympathize. Maybe get out today and treat yourself to a nice lunch?
Road closures? Not where I live. I'm isolated every single day here. Go out in this town on a Saturday? I'm crazy but not that crazy.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:18 PM
JRR

4,103 posts, read 2,460,059 times
Just a quiet, hot day here. Sunny and 91 right now and haven't had any rain for the last week. Chance of thunderstorms tomorrow and Monday; sure need them for the grass. Had the a/c system checked out yesterday. Passed but it is 15 years old and I am looking to replace it later in the year. Fingers crossed that it keeps cranking until then.

My wife has a back problem so is spending all her time in the recliner as it is the most comfortable place for her. She is going to get a steroid shot next week and see if that helps. So I am mainly staying out of her way. Dinner tonight is pickled beets and brats with sauteed onions. Movie and popcorn later in the evening if she feels up to it.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:47 PM

6,998 posts, read 7,566,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Every night I have the most unusual dreams and I remember them too. Many involve being lost somewhere, often in a bad area. Last night I was pushing a grocery cart in the city, took a wrong turn and ended up in unknown parts. Alone and scared, I found a senior citizen facility and went in. I tried to call for a private cab (known as a keurig !!) but the woman could not pick me for several hours. So I took off on my own, pushing my cart....

Anyone out there care to interpret this for me???
Lay down on my couch

<Playing Barbra Streisand n "Prince of Tides">

So you're lost and not able to get anyone to help you - you're moving your possessions in a cart: Even though you come across as being a strong woman who's not generally fearful of life inside you really are quite fearful at times. Your grocery cart containing your possessions could be from your recent move. The bad areas could be a carry over from your past career or you're afraid you could end up a bag lady - many single women have that fear if there's no one that has your back. You checked out other areas of the country in the past and decided to stay in AZ where it was more comfortable for you rather than a new and strange area where if you needed help you may not find it.

Are you happy where you are? In the back of your mind have you wondered about some of these other places but this fear of being totally alone there is quite frightening.

Many years ago - this was when I was employed - I had dreams of being a bag lady - I was a security freak and it obviously affected me more than I would have thought.

I know I could say all this better if I had more time but I think you get the picture

Last edited by Umbria; 06-16-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM

6,264 posts, read 9,440,063 times
Umbria: Your interpretation makes alot of sense and I have thought about other places in the US that would have more history, museums, etc. I also think I have been watching the shootings in Phx way too much. It just seems like you can't go anywhere and be really safe, cause some crazy can pop up and shoot you or your car in a road rage incident. And the car is a month old. Fearful of getting into an accident with it.

It's just so strange that I am always going someplace and am lost.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:14 PM

30,448 posts, read 35,700,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Umbria: Your interpretation makes alot of sense and I have thought about other places in the US that would have more history, museums, etc. I also think I have been watching the shootings in Phx way too much. It just seems like you can't go anywhere and be really safe, cause some crazy can pop up and shoot you or your car in a road rage incident. And the car is a month old. Fearful of getting into an accident with it.

It's just so strange that I am always going someplace and am lost.
I think many of us have dreams at this stage of life that have the element of isolation/vulnerability in them.
Many who have travelled the path of life with us have passed away and we have a sense of our own timeline and how will we navigate our future. I have developed the notion that one of the prime appeals of CCRC's is that they provide a level of security and certainty with a residential safety net. That seems to be a significant plus when we talk to residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement