U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times

Advertisements

^ I manage it because I don't care.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
You need to make a trip to the high mountains-maybe Boone or Banner Elk, to cool off. Our nights and mornings have been low 60ís. But has gotten to high 70ís low 80ís lately on our mountain in Asheville. Hotter than last year.
Yeah it is getting warmer and warmer. Weather where we came from has become more unstable

Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM

758 posts, read 501,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Took my Australian Shephard to the vet this morning for an exam and shots. Found out from the EXGF he's never been to the vet, never had shots. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

They were super duper nice and he basically laid on his back and wanted his belly scratched. Passed his exam with flying colors too!

Whew!
Great news! Glad you have a decent vet there.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 PM

52 posts, read 30,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Please do not interpret this to be a political message. I just need to get it off my chest.

I have been "keeping up" with the illegal immigrant/children taken away from parents (I think the statement that children are being "ripped from parents arms" is so unbelievably ridiculous).

I get pretty upset over this situation. And I've made the mistake of looking at Facebook and reading some posts by people I know. Which upsets me even more.

I need to break the "addiction" I have for FB. I need to stop listening/reading anything about this difficult situation.

It is making me a bit "crazy" and with all the up and down I feel over it, it's carrying over into my personal life. I've been a lot more angry than I have in a long time. And I'm "acting out" on it. Not good.

How are you all managing it in your lives?
During times of national hysteria I avoid FB like the plague. It's frightening to see how many people that I would normally classify as intelligent and well-informed are flooding their walls and the walls of their FB "friends" with propaganda-type posts, full of misinformation, half-baked information, or simply cut and pasted without researching the source or truth of the information being shared (lather, rinse, repeat).

Mob mentality seems to grip even the normally level-headed.

I'm not interested in trying to interject sense (or sensibility). I like FB as a social outlet, not a news or political source. Every person who swore three months ago that they'd never use FB as a source of information is now trying to outshout the next over this topic.

I'll peruse CD .. then go outside.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:03 PM

758 posts, read 501,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Please do not interpret this to be a political message. I just need to get it off my chest.

I have been "keeping up" with the illegal immigrant/children taken away from parents (I think the statement that children are being "ripped from parents arms" is so unbelievably ridiculous).

I get pretty upset over this situation. And I've made the mistake of looking at Facebook and reading some posts by people I know. Which upsets me even more....

How are you all managing it in your lives?
I definitely stay away from FB. When I first started hearing about it, I read articles from both sides of the spectrum to try and understand why this is happening.

Other than that, I hope and pray it is resolved soon. And I make sure to vote.

Oh, and I agree with @SomewhereWarm, I go outside. Early in the morning, that is, because I really live somewhere quite warm these days.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:36 PM

I use Facebook to see photos of friends, actual real people I know in real life and to keep up with what they're doing. NOT to get "the news". Oddly I use Twitter for the same thing.

Everything is today's OUTRAGE. Which outrages me.

OP - go fishing, have a beer, watch cartoons.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:52 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I use Facebook to see photos of friends, actual real people I know in real life and to keep up with what they're doing. NOT to get "the news". Oddly I use Twitter for the same thing.

Everything is today's OUTRAGE. Which outrages me.

OP - go fishing, have a beer, watch cartoons.
I don't get the news from FB either. I like the jokes/cartoons that are sometimes posted. But a few of my friends post plenty of crap about current conditions. So I need to fade away. My nephew in VT admonished me a few years ago (when I said I was leaving FB).... said how else would I know what other out of town family was doing? Well, truth of the matter is, he no longer speaks to me.

I like your suggestions..... have a beer, watch cartoons, go fishing. I can two out of three for now. Maybe once I move I can go fishing! Thanks.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:46 PM

I have friends, family that post and repost all the OUTRAGE and HYSTERIA that is so fashionable today. It is like MY hysteria can out do your hysteria.

I ignore them and move along. My bestest friend who is as left wing as one can get has called me a "barbarian" and "gestapo" lots of times. It's funny.

Ok at almost 6pm it's a chilly 95 degrees so going to sit outside have a beer and a cigar (even though that's illegal because of the burn ban). You can take my cigars when you pry them from my cold dead hands...oh wait, never mind.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:03 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
^^^^^ Always enjoy your humor.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is very hot on the beach. Blessed to be here but Lordy it is hot.

Go get wet! One of these days - I plan to plant my butt in the sand and grow roots - can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement