U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,037,663 times

Advertisements

It seems that this past election bought out all the idiots. I've had to unfollow a few people. Just too much.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 AM

767 posts, read 520,835 times
Happy first day of summer! I'm happy because after today, the days will be getting shorter. Fall and winter are the best seasons around here. Summer is just a bit too much sometimes!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,994,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Happy first day of summer! I'm happy because after today, the days will be getting shorter. Fall and winter are the best seasons around here. Summer is just a bit too much sometimes!

Same to you! Can't argue with any of that. lol Last night, at 10 PM, I couldn't believe how warm it still was. Felt some humidity too. October seems a loooong ways away!

Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,811,074 times
Nah. I'm loving the long, long days up here in North Idaho. Absolutely glorious!

I have to laugh inside myself when I hear people complain about "how hot it is", and the thermometer is only in the mid 80s. Not looking forward to the short winter days. Had a difficult time last year, but at least I know what to expect this next time.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Nah. I'm loving the long, long days up here in North Idaho. Absolutely glorious!

I have to laugh inside myself when I hear people complain about "how hot it is", and the thermometer is only in the mid 80s. Not looking forward to the short winter days. Had a difficult time last year, but at least I know what to expect this next time.
North Idaho is glorious for sure! Although, I've never been up there in the winter. We were only about 100 here yesterday, but I can tell already today is going to be hotter.

We thought about moving up to N. Idaho now that we are retired, but DH is not sure about the winters. We grew up in MI and he hasn't gotten over the winters yet, even though we've been in AZ for 25+ yrs. heehee!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,994,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

I lived in No. Idaho for five years and every summer I would thank my lucky stars I wasn't home in AZ!! I remember 1993 as the coldest and wettest summer in many years and 1994 as the hottest and driest! It was so dry our little creek dried up and had to have water delivered. Winters weren't too bad as long as I didn't have to get out in it much. Living way off the main hiway was a little rough in winter but we survived! It's going to be another scorcher down here this year, I'm sure. The good thing is that we KNOW it'll end...eventually. lol

Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,811,074 times
Before I retired, I lived in the Antelope Valley, (the extreme western/northwestern reaches of the Mojave Desert). I had my fill of triple digit days and decided to come up here, primarily for the weather. I didn't find my first winter too difficult, except for the length of the daylight hours. Snow wasn't a problem.

However, I wasn't expecting its nature. I expected it to come, and to be added upon throughout the winter. Nope! It "came and went" all winter long. The fields stayed white, but the roads were cleared straight away and even when there was ice on them, this SoCal raised boy didn't have any problems. Just "slow and easy".

Cold wasn't too bad either. Even though daytime temps were at the freezing mark, rarely did I feel the need for anything more than a mid-weight jacket. Only time I did was sitting in the bleachers of a high school baseball game, (isn't retirement great? Being able to do stuff like this.). The wind does "bite" right through you.

Ah! Another nice day with a high in the mid 70s. I need to get out there and enjoy what Mother Nature has bestowed on us.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 AM

11,362 posts, read 12,930,586 times
You're killing me! 10:30am 90 degrees, it should get to 105 here today and hotter Friday with 50-60mph winds forecast.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
You're killing me! 10:30am 90 degrees, it should get to 105 here today and hotter Friday with 50-60mph winds forecast.
Wow, that sounds awful! We are at 93 right now (10:30a) but our forecast is only for 101 today. I didn't think it got that hot in W. Co. usually. You must be a a somewhat desert area.

Sounds more and more like it is time for a N. Idaho road trip for all of us 100+ folks!

Last edited by bigbuglf; 06-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-21-2018, 12:45 PM

7,708 posts, read 4,200,975 times
Drink plenty of water or other fluids. It's gonna be 96 here today (NM) but with our low humidity it doesn't seem as hot -- it can be reasonably pleasant in the shade. But you easily get dehydrated without knowing it because you don't sweat. Then you are flat on your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement